Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
merthyr had that glory period when they played that Italian side .....1987 ..... but thats it

The nearest football league teams are cardiff and swansea , I have over the years following cardiff met many cardiff fans from the area , Pentrebach , town based merthyr fans , valley based merthyr fans like Aberfan etc

Merthyr may be a fairly big town , 50000 or so ? but its never in my lifetime had much support

Like Barry town and Aberdare its footballing fans are drawn in the most to cardiff city , in aberdare and merthyrs case to mostly cardiff but some swansea

Cardiff city are not the reason for the martyrs decline , this bloke seemed very bitter and was telling me it was
Sludge, you're paraphrasing me butt. I've more or less said all that.

The truth is although the Taff valley is predominantly a City supporting area in the late 80s, early 90s Citys support was piss poor. I'll go as far to say a train from Merthyr to Cardiff I could still name most of the match day going City supporters. I'm from Aberfan, theres people who watch City now wouldn't entertain the thought during the late 80s early 90s.

Merthyrs support/crowds like City's for me are notoriously fickle. The truth is most people go and watch a winning team.

We'll agree to disagree over the FAW lad, he's a more than decent bloke.