+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Re: Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What were Merthyr's crowds like when they were in the Conference? I thought they were around the 1,500 mark, but I could well be mistaken. I went up to watch them four or five times in those days and can remember seeing them beat Colchester in a good game.
    Early 90s, about 600-900 I think. They were always one of the lower crowds on teletext. I have some old Rothmans somewhere so could dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Early 90s, about 600-900 I think. They were always one of the lower crowds on teletext. I have some old Rothmans somewhere so could dig it out.
    I'd be interested in that. Although they're local to me, I never watched too many Merthyr games in that era. Don't watch too many now mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I'd be interested in that. Although they're local to me, I never watched too many Merthyr games in that era. Don't watch too many now mind.
    On a Colchester United site, they list the lowest crowds to watch Colchester ever. It includes 710 that saw Merthyr v Colchester in December 1990. Merthyr finished 9th that season.

https://www.coludata.co.uk/content.php?pg=sipg&pd=1140

Same season, they had 1,175 against Barnet - Gary Bull scored a pen for Barnet.

1989/90 they had 2,003 against Barnet, would have been one of their first home games at that level.

On a Colchester United site, they list the lowest crowds to watch Colchester ever. It includes 710 that saw Merthyr v Colchester in December 1990. Merthyr finished 9th that season.

1989/90 they had 2,003 against Barnet, would have been one of their first home games at that level.
    Just asked a regular at that time. He says they had a couple of games over 3000 but had some matches that just had about 500, at one point the average was 1500.

Fickle crowds really. City's were the same at the time.

Q

That Colchester match was the one I mentioned - I seem to remember the weather was pretty awful that day.

I was also at one of those matches with Barnet, think it was the earlier one which I seem to remember finished 1-1.

Both Merthyr and Aberdare had Football League sides for a while in the 20s and 30s I believe, but I don't think the gates were great for either club and they didn't survive the Great Depression.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Q

That Colchester match was the one I mentioned - I seem to remember the weather was pretty awful that day.

I was also at one of those matches with Barnet, think it was the earlier one which I seem to remember finished 1-1.

Both Merthyr and Aberdare had Football League sides for a while in the 20s and 30s I believe, but I don't think the gates were great for either club and they didn't survive the Great Depression.
    Six Welsh clubs in the Football League in those days. On times when I’ve had the occasion to drive around those areas, Merthyr and Aberdare and surrounding valleys I’ve often wondered what young footballers from clubs such as Brentford, Leyton Orient, Millwall etc thought when they witnessed it in those far off days. Coming from the metropolis that London was, even in those days, it must have been like landing on another planet. I’d imagine they would have travelled from Paddington to Cardiff General, then changed to a train going to the valleys, or, perhaps, a charabanc or two picked them up at the General and then drove them up. Either way for a young Cockney making his first trip the landscape and sloping roofed towns must have been mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Six Welsh clubs in the Football League in those days. On times when I’ve had the occasion to drive around those areas, Merthyr and Aberdare and surrounding valleys I’ve often wondered what young footballers from clubs such as Brentford, Leyton Orient, Millwall etc thought when they witnessed it in those far off days. Coming from the metropolis that London was, even in those days, it must have been like landing on another planet. I’d imagine they would have travelled from Paddington to Cardiff General, then changed to a train going to the valleys, or, perhaps, a charabanc or two picked them up at the General and then drove them up. Either way for a young Cockney making his first trip the landscape and sloping roofed towns must have been mind boggling.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdare_Athletic_F.C.

Aberdare faced re-election to the league but got voted out and replaced by Torquay. Makes sense really where would you rather go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdare_Athletic_F.C.

Aberdare faced re-election to the league but got voted out and replaced by Torquay. Makes sense really where would you rather go?
    Looking at Aberdare's record in the Football League, they struggled in one of their first five seasons, but were comfortable in the other four, finishing in the top ten of the Third Division (South) twice. Their sixth season saw them finish bottom of the table though and, controversially, they were voted out in favour of Torquay -

"However, in the next season, 1926–27, Aberdare Athletic finished bottom of the Third Division South and failed to gain re-election to the League, with Torquay United taking their place.[3] Aberdare's loss of their Football League place was controversial. In the first ballot, Aberdare and Southern League side Torquay, the latter having previously applied to join the League in 1923, tied with 21 each. That round of voting was marred by controversy as there was reported to be one spoilt ballot paper (for Aberdare?). Aberdare's secretary claimed that one of the scrutineers was "an interested party". Aberdare lost the second ballot with 19 votes to Torquay’s 26; fellow League side Watford, who had finished second-bottom, were comfortably re-elected with 44 votes.[4] The merged club fully renamed themselves as "Aberdare & Aberaman Athletic", and rejoined the Southern League."

Certainly looks like visits to Aberdare were not fancied by the other Football League clubs!

Here's an aerial view of the ground they used to play at;-

aberdare athletic.jpg