+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

Re: Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    merthyr had that glory period when they played that Italian side .....1987 ..... but thats it

The nearest football league teams are cardiff and swansea , I have over the years following cardiff met many cardiff fans from the area , Pentrebach , town based merthyr fans , valley based merthyr fans like Aberfan etc

Merthyr may be a fairly big town , 50000 or so ? but its never in my lifetime had much support

Like Barry town and Aberdare its footballing fans are drawn in the most to cardiff city , in aberdare and merthyrs case to mostly cardiff but some swansea

Cardiff city are not the reason for the martyrs decline , this bloke seemed very bitter and was telling me it was
    Sludge, you're paraphrasing me butt. I've more or less said all that.

The truth is although the Taff valley is predominantly a City supporting area in the late 80s, early 90s Citys support was piss poor. I'll go as far to say a train from Merthyr to Cardiff I could still name most of the match day going City supporters. I'm from Aberfan, theres people who watch City now wouldn't entertain the thought during the late 80s early 90s.

Merthyrs support/crowds like City's for me are notoriously fickle. The truth is most people go and watch a winning team.

We'll agree to disagree over the FAW lad, he's a more than decent bloke.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Cardiff obviously but I do like to see my hometown club do well. I’d like to see them bite the bullet and go into the Welsh league now.
    I think it has come to that stage for them. But, wouldn't they have to start quite low down?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I think it has come to that stage for them. But, wouldn't they have to start quite low down?
    I'm not sure they'd be able to fulfil the FAW criteria to be admitted to the Cymru League or the Cymru South League.

They had to start again going through the English FA Western Leagues before getting back to the Southern League so I'd suggest going through the Welsh pyramid wouldn't be too much of an issue for them?

There's a lot of their members not wanting to look at the Welsh option. Personally, I see it as the only way they can sustain the club. The truth is they're losing players to Welsh League clubs because they can't compete with them financially.

Years ago went to watch Merthyr away to Hereford in the FA Cup.

Id say at least half of the support were City fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Sludge, you're paraphrasing me butt. I've more or less said all that.

The truth is although the Taff valley is predominantly a City supporting area in the late 80s, early 90s Citys support was piss poor. I'll go as far to say a train from Merthyr to Cardiff I could still name most of the match day going City supporters. I'm from Aberfan, theres people who watch City now wouldn't entertain the thought during the late 80s early 90s.

Merthyrs support/crowds like City's for me are notoriously fickle. The truth is most people go and watch a winning team.

We'll agree to disagree over the FAW lad, he's a more than decent bloke.
    Well I don't know if we are talking about the same bloke

He certainly wasn't 6 foot 5

This bloke , like his welsh nationalist bloke hated cardiff city

If your mate is 6 foot 5 and is OK with cardiff city , its clearly not the same fella

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well I don't know if we are talking about the same bloke

He certainly wasn't 6 foot 5

This bloke , like his welsh nationalist bloke hated cardiff city

If your mate is 6 foot 5 and is OK with cardiff city , its clearly not the same fella
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...fixit-17298784

What were Merthyr's crowds like when they were in the Conference? I thought they were around the 1,500 mark, but I could well be mistaken. I went up to watch them four or five times in those days and can remember seeing them beat Colchester in a good game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What were Merthyr's crowds like when they were in the Conference? I thought they were around the 1,500 mark, but I could well be mistaken. I went up to watch them four or five times in those days and can remember seeing them beat Colchester in a good game.
    Early 90s, about 600-900 I think. They were always one of the lower crowds on teletext. I have some old Rothmans somewhere so could dig it out.

Early 90s, about 600-900 I think. They were always one of the lower crowds on teletext. I have some old Rothmans somewhere so could dig it out.
    I'd be interested in that. Although they're local to me, I never watched too many Merthyr games in that era. Don't watch too many now mind.

Banned

I'd be interested in that. Although they're local to me, I never watched too many Merthyr games in that era. Don't watch too many now mind.
    On a Colchester United site, they list the lowest crowds to watch Colchester ever. It includes 710 that saw Merthyr v Colchester in December 1990. Merthyr finished 9th that season.

https://www.coludata.co.uk/content.php?pg=sipg&pd=1140

Same season, they had 1,175 against Barnet - Gary Bull scored a pen for Barnet.

1989/90 they had 2,003 against Barnet, would have been one of their first home games at that level.

On a Colchester United site, they list the lowest crowds to watch Colchester ever. It includes 710 that saw Merthyr v Colchester in December 1990. Merthyr finished 9th that season.

1989/90 they had 2,003 against Barnet, would have been one of their first home games at that level.
    Just asked a regular at that time. He says they had a couple of games over 3000 but had some matches that just had about 500, at one point the average was 1500.

Fickle crowds really. City's were the same at the time.

That doesn't look like him

His mate was steve , who was a hack for the echo and was a part time dj

The bloke I was speaking too said merthyr was solid martyr territory

I don't think this is him

But if this fella is so passionately pro welsh and is standing for plaid, whats he doing supporting an English football team , wolves ?

Dafydd Ellis Thomas , proud welshman , on the eve of cardiff citys fa Cup appearance and he tells the six of clock news he is man United fan

If that's plaid , feck em

Just asked a regular at that time. He says they had a couple of games over 3000 but had some matches that just had about 500, at one point the average was 1500.

Fickle crowds really. City's were the same at the time.
    Cardiff City have always had fickle support

Its the nature of the welsh sporting public

Q

That Colchester match was the one I mentioned - I seem to remember the weather was pretty awful that day.

I was also at one of those matches with Barnet, think it was the earlier one which I seem to remember finished 1-1.

Both Merthyr and Aberdare had Football League sides for a while in the 20s and 30s I believe, but I don't think the gates were great for either club and they didn't survive the Great Depression.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Q

That Colchester match was the one I mentioned - I seem to remember the weather was pretty awful that day.

I was also at one of those matches with Barnet, think it was the earlier one which I seem to remember finished 1-1.

Both Merthyr and Aberdare had Football League sides for a while in the 20s and 30s I believe, but I don't think the gates were great for either club and they didn't survive the Great Depression.
    Six Welsh clubs in the Football League in those days. On times when I’ve had the occasion to drive around those areas, Merthyr and Aberdare and surrounding valleys I’ve often wondered what young footballers from clubs such as Brentford, Leyton Orient, Millwall etc thought when they witnessed it in those far off days. Coming from the metropolis that London was, even in those days, it must have been like landing on another planet. I’d imagine they would have travelled from Paddington to Cardiff General, then changed to a train going to the valleys, or, perhaps, a charabanc or two picked them up at the General and then drove them up. Either way for a young Cockney making his first trip the landscape and sloping roofed towns must have been mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Six Welsh clubs in the Football League in those days. On times when I’ve had the occasion to drive around those areas, Merthyr and Aberdare and surrounding valleys I’ve often wondered what young footballers from clubs such as Brentford, Leyton Orient, Millwall etc thought when they witnessed it in those far off days. Coming from the metropolis that London was, even in those days, it must have been like landing on another planet. I’d imagine they would have travelled from Paddington to Cardiff General, then changed to a train going to the valleys, or, perhaps, a charabanc or two picked them up at the General and then drove them up. Either way for a young Cockney making his first trip the landscape and sloping roofed towns must have been mind boggling.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdare_Athletic_F.C.

Aberdare faced re-election to the league but got voted out and replaced by Torquay. Makes sense really where would you rather go?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdare_Athletic_F.C.

Aberdare faced re-election to the league but got voted out and replaced by Torquay. Makes sense really where would you rather go?
    Looking at Aberdare's record in the Football League, they struggled in one of their first five seasons, but were comfortable in the other four, finishing in the top ten of the Third Division (South) twice. Their sixth season saw them finish bottom of the table though and, controversially, they were voted out in favour of Torquay -

"However, in the next season, 1926–27, Aberdare Athletic finished bottom of the Third Division South and failed to gain re-election to the League, with Torquay United taking their place.[3] Aberdare's loss of their Football League place was controversial. In the first ballot, Aberdare and Southern League side Torquay, the latter having previously applied to join the League in 1923, tied with 21 each. That round of voting was marred by controversy as there was reported to be one spoilt ballot paper (for Aberdare?). Aberdare's secretary claimed that one of the scrutineers was "an interested party". Aberdare lost the second ballot with 19 votes to Torquay’s 26; fellow League side Watford, who had finished second-bottom, were comfortably re-elected with 44 votes.[4] The merged club fully renamed themselves as "Aberdare & Aberaman Athletic", and rejoined the Southern League."

Certainly looks like visits to Aberdare were not fancied by the other Football League clubs!

Here's an aerial view of the ground they used to play at;-

aberdare athletic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Th author has written a couple of books about Merthyr Town too. He’s a bit of the local football history buff. Nice bloke too.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Aber...e_Athletic.htm

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    F*cking hell, three bubble trips to Penydarren Park
    Yeh just imagine full bluebird attire on mingling with the best

My former boss Paul Young wrote a book about the Mid Rhondda side of the early 1920s who were hoping to gain league status. They had a manager called Jim Steed who by all accounts was a top player but suffered gas damage to his lungs in the first world war. Apparently he went on to manage Charlton Athletic and one of the stands there is named after him. I've got a copy of the book somewhere, but below I've pasted the Wikepdia link to the ground and history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Rhondda_F.C.

My former boss Paul Young wrote a book about the Mid Rhondda side of the early 1920s who were hoping to gain league status. They had a manager called Jim Steed who by all accounts was a top player but suffered gas damage to his lungs in the first world war. Apparently he went on to manage Charlton Athletic and one of the stands there is named after him. I've got a copy of the book somewhere, but below I've pasted the Wikepdia link to the ground and history.

The Formation of Mid Rhondda F.C.

Early attempts to form a football club were placed on hold when industrial unrest spread through the Rhondda during 1910 and 1911. The coal mining area of the valleys experienced several strikes centred on the Glamorgan Colliery in Llwynypia, neighbouring Tonypandy.[4] The events game to a climax in 1911 with the Tonypandy riots, where the town centre was vandalised and looted.

In 1912, with the events of the previous years settled, an attempt was made to introduce a football team in Tonypandy.[5] The Mid Rhondda Football Club was set up, and a Board of Directors founded. All were from the Tonypandy area and were a cross section of tradesmen and workers representatives. Amongst the shareholders was D.A. Thomas, the owner of the Cambrian Combine of collieries, which had been at the heart of the strike just a year prior.[5]

The club applied to join the Southern League and was accepted even though the club had yet to select a team. With a fortnight to go before the start of the 1912–13 season the club was facing closure due to lack of funds, but good press encouraged the promoters to carry on and a week later the team had a manager and enough players for a starting XI.[5] The club's swift growth earned them the nickname The Mushrooms, though normally called The Mush.[5] Their first season in the Second Division of the Southern League saw them face the first teams of Cardiff City, Swansea Town, Croydon Common and Luton Town. Mid Rhondda made a steady if unspectacular start to their professional career, finishing 8th out of 13 teams in their first season.[6]

The promoters were happy with the club's progress in their first season, and over the next few seasons the team were often supported by crowds of over 10,000.[7] Despite some good figures these crowds were inconsistent. The home clash with Newport County in 1913 for example witnessed just 3,000 spectators, leading to financial concerns.[6] The team finished a respectful 7th in the 1913/14 season, in an expanded league of 16 clubs. The 1914/15 season saw a drop in fortunes with the team winning just 3 of their 12 games and ending 12th from 13.[6] The club suspended play during the First World War, and the club lay dormant until the first season after the war.[7]
    1919–20 Season

Of all the seasons of the club's existence, 1919–20 was the most notable. With more funds available the committee of the Mid Rhondda Club made a decision to push the first team for promotion to the First Division, emulating Cardiff City.[7] They turned to a local ex-international footballer Haydn Price to manage the team.[7] He joined Mid Rhondda as secretary manager and immediately signed as captain former Aston Villa player, Joe Bache.[7] Bache brought experience to the team, but it was the signing of an untested young player from Durham, Jimmy Seed, that would be Haydn's most important signing.[7] Seed had started his career as a seventeen-year-old with Sunderland, and showed great potential in the reserves. During the war, Seed was posted to the front and was gassed in the trenches.[8] On his return to training with Sunderland, he was told that because of lung problems his career was finished.[8] Price disagreed and signed Seed.
    ...as soon as I got off the train, I was cheered like as if I was a heavyweight champion of the world, rather than a reject who had been told his footballing days were over.[8]

– Jimmy Seed describing his reception at Tonypandy after joining Mid Rhondda

Seed played "non-stop football" from the time he joined Mid Rhondda, and his lungs appeared to recover. By the end of his first season Seed was signed by Tottenham Hotspur for £1,000, and enjoyed a long career with both Spurs and Sheffield Wednesday as well as making five appearances for England. Another notable player on Mid Rhondda's books at this time was future Wales international, Dai Collier.

A highlight of the season was when Mid Rhondda played local rivals Ton Pentre in a preliminary round of the FA cup. 20,000 spectators watched the game, filling the ground with many more covering the mountainside overlooking the pitch.[8] More success was to come when the team won the Southern League Division Two, amassing 37 points over 20 games, losing none and drawing only three games.[9] They then took the Welsh League title, beating Cardiff City into second place, losing just five of the thirty games. They completed the season with a third trophy, beating Barry F.C. 1–0 at Merthyr to take the South Wales Cup.[10]

The strength of the club at the time is best gauged by the challenge matches the team undertook against Football League clubs.[10] Due to the large following the club possessed, they were able to offer incentives to league clubs to travel to Tonypandy. These were teams that normally played Bristol on the Saturday, then brought their first teams to the Rhondda for a Monday night encounter.[10] Crowds in excess of 15,000 and the substantial win bonus that was offered elevated these games above friendlies. These encounters included wins over Nottingham Forest (3–1), Derby County (2–0) and Portsmouth (1–0) in 1919 and a draw against Tottenham Hotspur and a narrow loss to Aston Villa (1–2) in 1920.[10]
    Club demise

The club and supporters expected continued success for the 1920–21 season in the First Division of the Southern League. A new stand was built, and other ground improvements were added, including a press box and a gymnasium.[11] Then ready for the new season, the Southern League was invited to form a Third Division of the Football League. The current First Division of the Southern League became the new Third Division, and no promotions were accepted. Mid Rhondda remained in the Second Division.[11]

From this, the team disintegrated. Price left for Grimsby Town and took five players with him, while the remaining players of the previous season found different clubs.[11] This was followed by a national coal strike in 1921 which crippled the South Wales valleys, and the Club was suspended by the Football Association of Wales for non-payment of debts.[11] The club reformed in 1922, mainly thanks to voluntary donations from local miners, but now known as Mid Rhondda United. The club rejoined the Southern League for the 1924–25 season and applied for Football League membership in 1925. However the economic depression of the 1920s worsened, and there was real poverty in the Rhondda and there was little money for entertainment.[11] The club continued until March 1928 when, with debts of £1,400, Mid Rhondda was forced to close when the banks called in its overdraft.[11]

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

The Formation of Mid Rhondda F.C.

Early attempts to form a football club were placed on hold when industrial unrest spread through the Rhondda during 1910 and 1911. The coal mining area of the valleys experienced several strikes centred on the Glamorgan Colliery in Llwynypia, neighbouring Tonypandy.[4] The events game to a climax in 1911 with the Tonypandy riots, where the town centre was vandalised and looted.

In 1912, with the events of the previous years settled, an attempt was made to introduce a football team in Tonypandy.[5] The Mid Rhondda Football Club was set up, and a Board of Directors founded. All were from the Tonypandy area and were a cross section of tradesmen and workers representatives. Amongst the shareholders was D.A. Thomas, the owner of the Cambrian Combine of collieries, which had been at the heart of the strike just a year prior.[5]

The club applied to join the Southern League and was accepted even though the club had yet to select a team. With a fortnight to go before the start of the 1912–13 season the club was facing closure due to lack of funds, but good press encouraged the promoters to carry on and a week later the team had a manager and enough players for a starting XI.[5] The club's swift growth earned them the nickname The Mushrooms, though normally called The Mush.[5] Their first season in the Second Division of the Southern League saw them face the first teams of Cardiff City, Swansea Town, Croydon Common and Luton Town. Mid Rhondda made a steady if unspectacular start to their professional career, finishing 8th out of 13 teams in their first season.[6]

The promoters were happy with the club's progress in their first season, and over the next few seasons the team were often supported by crowds of over 10,000.[7] Despite some good figures these crowds were inconsistent. The home clash with Newport County in 1913 for example witnessed just 3,000 spectators, leading to financial concerns.[6] The team finished a respectful 7th in the 1913/14 season, in an expanded league of 16 clubs. The 1914/15 season saw a drop in fortunes with the team winning just 3 of their 12 games and ending 12th from 13.[6] The club suspended play during the First World War, and the club lay dormant until the first season after the war.[7]
    1919–20 Season

Of all the seasons of the club's existence, 1919–20 was the most notable. With more funds available the committee of the Mid Rhondda Club made a decision to push the first team for promotion to the First Division, emulating Cardiff City.[7] They turned to a local ex-international footballer Haydn Price to manage the team.[7] He joined Mid Rhondda as secretary manager and immediately signed as captain former Aston Villa player, Joe Bache.[7] Bache brought experience to the team, but it was the signing of an untested young player from Durham, Jimmy Seed, that would be Haydn's most important signing.[7] Seed had started his career as a seventeen-year-old with Sunderland, and showed great potential in the reserves. During the war, Seed was posted to the front and was gassed in the trenches.[8] On his return to training with Sunderland, he was told that because of lung problems his career was finished.[8] Price disagreed and signed Seed.
    ...as soon as I got off the train, I was cheered like as if I was a heavyweight champion of the world, rather than a reject who had been told his footballing days were over.[8]

– Jimmy Seed describing his reception at Tonypandy after joining Mid Rhondda

Seed played "non-stop football" from the time he joined Mid Rhondda, and his lungs appeared to recover. By the end of his first season Seed was signed by Tottenham Hotspur for £1,000, and enjoyed a long career with both Spurs and Sheffield Wednesday as well as making five appearances for England. Another notable player on Mid Rhondda's books at this time was future Wales international, Dai Collier.

A highlight of the season was when Mid Rhondda played local rivals Ton Pentre in a preliminary round of the FA cup. 20,000 spectators watched the game, filling the ground with many more covering the mountainside overlooking the pitch.[8] More success was to come when the team won the Southern League Division Two, amassing 37 points over 20 games, losing none and drawing only three games.[9] They then took the Welsh League title, beating Cardiff City into second place, losing just five of the thirty games. They completed the season with a third trophy, beating Barry F.C. 1–0 at Merthyr to take the South Wales Cup.[10]

The strength of the club at the time is best gauged by the challenge matches the team undertook against Football League clubs.[10] Due to the large following the club possessed, they were able to offer incentives to league clubs to travel to Tonypandy. These were teams that normally played Bristol on the Saturday, then brought their first teams to the Rhondda for a Monday night encounter.[10] Crowds in excess of 15,000 and the substantial win bonus that was offered elevated these games above friendlies. These encounters included wins over Nottingham Forest (3–1), Derby County (2–0) and Portsmouth (1–0) in 1919 and a draw against Tottenham Hotspur and a narrow loss to Aston Villa (1–2) in 1920.[10]
    Club demise

The club and supporters expected continued success for the 1920–21 season in the First Division of the Southern League. A new stand was built, and other ground improvements were added, including a press box and a gymnasium.[11] Then ready for the new season, the Southern League was invited to form a Third Division of the Football League. The current First Division of the Southern League became the new Third Division, and no promotions were accepted. Mid Rhondda remained in the Second Division.[11]

From this, the team disintegrated. Price left for Grimsby Town and took five players with him, while the remaining players of the previous season found different clubs.[11] This was followed by a national coal strike in 1921 which crippled the South Wales valleys, and the Club was suspended by the Football Association of Wales for non-payment of debts.[11] The club reformed in 1922, mainly thanks to voluntary donations from local miners, but now known as Mid Rhondda United. The club rejoined the Southern League for the 1924–25 season and applied for Football League membership in 1925. However the economic depression of the 1920s worsened, and there was real poverty in the Rhondda and there was little money for entertainment.[11] The club continued until March 1928 when, with debts of £1,400, Mid Rhondda was forced to close when the banks called in its overdraft.[11]
    In the 1920's there were a host of south Wales clubs applying to join the football league, including Llanelli, Pontypridd, Barry.

Thanks Hamish, a fascinating read - Mid Rhondda were a serious football team and I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of them until this morning.

Jimmy Seed is/was a substantial figure in football;-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Seed

There is so much football history in South Wales that has been forgotten. I recently went down a rabbit hole with it and just came out with more questions. Looking at Southern League tables from before the Great War is quite interesting, I never knew Caerphilly had a club.

Llanelli tried pretty much for 30 years to get elected but couldn’t get the votes - http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/fo...ostatt_id=3506