+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock wants to raid his old club Cardiff City for veteran defender Sol Bamba

International

Re: Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock wants to raid his old club Cardiff City for veteran defender Sol Bamba

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Isn’t Bamba settled here though? Always on about settling in the city....Young family etc.....Middlesbrough might be a bit of a shock
    No noe in their right mind would voluntarily take their family to live in Middlesbrough if they weren't born in the area

Re: Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock wants to raid his old club Cardiff City for veteran defender Sol Bamba

Would be the obvious one to get off the wage bill if we can.

Well if we aren't playing payroll manager, keep him.

I've always felt some players could have stayed on to go into coaching with us, Sol would be perfect. Great leader, great character, sky have had him in a number of times and he sounds very knowledgeable.

Must be into his last year? With a pre season behind him provides experience and adequate cover while also having some sort of role on the training ground.

There are a fair few others we should be looking to move on before worrying about Sol's wage, some we could even command a fee for.

He may want to link up with Warnock, perhaps he feels he could get another year of more football elsewhere in which case of course he will go. But he seems quite settled here from what I've seen.

Also quite possibly a rumour with no substance, Warnock linked to old favourites again.

Morrison and Nelson are the nailed on starting pair this season and given the length of his contract still to run I guess Flint will be back up with maybe that Utd kid(should he sign) as 4th choice. Bamba looked a little slower and his timing was off though its not a criticism as even if he was 10yrs younger would have been the same coming back from that type of injury but the question remains can he get back to what he was prior to his injury at his age.I think he has more chance of being first choice at Boro,at least initially any way unless age has caught up with him and it would leave Harris with funds to get someone in to compliment Tomlin as I don't think he's got 50 odd games in him this season either.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No noe in their right mind would voluntarily take their family to live in Middlesbrough if they weren't born in the area
    Reckon he’d just commute for a year and keep his family here

One of my favourite City players is 'our Sol but if Boro can get a full season out of him then good luck to them both.

My concern is that we haven't got anyone to cover at CB.

Is it really that bad though? I've never been up that way. Must be some decent areas around it at least.

People often say similar about cardiff without ever being here probably, some areas of the city aren't great, same as any city but overall having lived in a few places around the UK I think its a great place to live with plenty to do relative to its size.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Is it really that bad though? I've never been up that way. Must be some decent areas around it at least.

People often say similar about cardiff without ever being here probably, some areas of the city aren't great, same as any city but overall having lived in a few places around the UK I think its a great place to live with plenty to do relative to its size.
    It’s all objective really, you can’t judge a place until you’ve lived there to be honest. Apart from lack of decent music venues and possibly places to eat I can’t see what’s not to like about a Cardiff these days for the fussy people. A decent size with quick access to scenic areas, lots of parkland etc... I personally wouldn’t want to live in a much bigger city.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Isn’t Bamba settled here though? Always on about settling in the city....Young family etc.....Middlesbrough might be a bit of a shock
    Should imagine it was a shock having his house broken into down here mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Can he take Flint and Pack with him?

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Should imagine it was a shock having his house broken into down here mind!!
    you think that won't happen in Middlesbrough? lmao

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    One of the best and most influential players this club has ever had. Helped lift the club up by the bootstraps and get it moving forward again. A very important and motivating figure in the dressing room. Let him go at our peril. Still has a part to play as back up this coming season. Deserves more respect for what he has done here than some people are giving him.
    The bold section is probably right. But you have no way of knowing that. Everything else is utter rubbish.

There are some fantastic places to live in Teeside. I don’t know much about the town itself, but the area has coast, moors, great little villages.... we often stay with friends up there and it is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    One of my favourite City players is 'our Sol but if Boro can get a full season out of him then good luck to them both.

My concern is that we haven't got anyone to cover at CB.
    Flint, Cunningham, Pack, Patterson, Ciaron Brown can all play there. Much as I love Sol it makes sense to free up some funds.

you think that won't happen in Middlesbrough? lmao
    Well Middlesbrough won’t be a shock then, will it?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    One of the best and most influential players this club has ever had. Helped lift the club up by the bootstraps and get it moving forward again. A very important and motivating figure in the dressing room. Let him go at our peril. Still has a part to play as back up this coming season. Deserves more respect for what he has done here than some people are giving him.
    “Let him go at our peril”. He has hardly been in the first team squad for many months therefore, his dressing room influence is virtually zero.
    The club has moved on. Get him off the wage bill

Let him go and get lockyear in on a free. Should be cheaper wages. May count to our homegrown player (?) but even if not would still swapping a 35 year old for a 25 year old which is what we need to start doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    Let him go and get lockyear in on a free. Should be cheaper wages. May count to our homegrown player (?) but even if not would still swapping a 35 year old for a 25 year old which is what we need to start doing.
    Sounds like good business to me.

International

Yes, it is really that bad. As another poster says, you have to live in a place to know it, but of course once you're living there it's too late. As Jon says, there are some nice areas in Teeside but Middlesbrough is not one of them.

Banned

Yes, it is really that bad. As another poster says, you have to live in a place to know it, but of course once you're living there it's too late. As Jon says, there are some nice areas in Teeside but Middlesbrough is not one of them.
    It is desperate up there. I did some consultancy work at Redcar and Cleveland council back in the day, I think 'boro were in the Prem and struggling, but it was the only talking point in the office.

Not long after that, I spent 1 month in Runcorn and that was really dire. Two guys working there, one opened one envelope a day with a computer tape. The other guy would load the tape. Job done, chat for 2-3 hours, long pub lunch and finished at 3pm. I asked them what happens if one of them go on leave

If the opportunity arises to get him off the payroll then take it. No doubt he is on more than a fair whack. Colin would have seen him OK. If we need cover get Ciaron Brown back from Livingston.

I would love to see Sol stay at the club as a coach or an ambassador - but bar an emergency cameo I can’t see him playing again. He may be on a decent wage in his last year - and the club may not be getting full value for it - but Sol has become a Cardiff icon in recent years. He is a very big personality, seems to be important in squad morale and cohesion, and he is an articulate and personable representative in the media and with fans. Wanting him to stay may be sentimental - but what is wrong with that? Supporting a football club with all the cost and grief that comes with it is not rational. Sentiment has its place.

A good outcome could be if Sol goes there on loan for the season, then comes back to Cardiff to take up a coaching role.

I've never heard anyone badmouth Cardiff. Isn't it renowned as one of the best cities in the UK? Obviously, it's no London. But London isn't for everyone anyway. Especially if you've got kids.

All the players live in Yarm, which is lovely. Mendieta still lives in there!