+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical Cities and your favourite bands

Re: Musical Cities and your favourite bands

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    South East Wales - Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Catatonia, Feeder, Super Furry Animals, Budgie, Bullet for my Valentine, Funeral for a Friend, Lostprophets, Los Campesinos, Pretty Vicious would have been huge were it not for very sad and tragic circumstances. Not to mention the numerous excellent solo singers and Welsh language artists. Boy Azooga and Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard are two very good Cardiff bands who are going places.

Greater Manchester is also a fair bit bigger than South East Wales, the Cardiff Newport met area (Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend, Merthyr, Caerphilly, Pontypridd, Ebbw Vale) is home to 1m, Greater Manchester almost 3m
    Don't rate any of those bands apart from feeder and budgie

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Don't rate any of those bands apart from feeder and budgie
    Can't complain that SE Wales hasn't produced any bands purely because you don't like the ones produced. I happen to think most of the Seattle acts you listed are pretty poor but I wouldn't say it doesn't have a music scene or hasn't produced any bands

South East Wales - Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Catatonia, Feeder, Super Furry Animals,
    to be fair,thats a cracking haul and in a fairly short time span

South East Wales - Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Catatonia, Feeder, Super Furry Animals, Budgie, Bullet for my Valentine, Funeral for a Friend, Lostprophets, Los Campesinos, Pretty Vicious would have been huge were it not for very sad and tragic circumstances. Not to mention the numerous excellent solo singers and Welsh language artists. Boy Azooga and Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard are two very good Cardiff bands who are going places.

Greater Manchester is also a fair bit bigger than South East Wales, the Cardiff Newport met area (Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend, Merthyr, Caerphilly, Pontypridd, Ebbw Vale) is home to 1m, Greater Manchester almost 3m
    You’re brave including Lostprophets in there. You might as well shove Rolf Harris in as his grandfather was from Merthyr.

Can't complain that SE Wales hasn't produced any bands purely because you don't like the ones produced. I happen to think most of the Seattle acts you listed are pretty poor but I wouldn't say it doesn't have a music scene or hasn't produced any bands
    Well in musical history who will go down as most influential ?

Nirvana, Pearl Jam , Hendrix ........or stereophonic, catatonia , 60 foot dolls ?

Nirvana, Pearl Jam , Hendrix ........or stereophonic, catatonia , 60 foot dolls ?
    On the flip side, have you ever witnessed a Pearl Jams ‘Jeremy’ getting sung in Merthyr Labour club after Wales have beaten England in the rugger?

Shove that up your arse.

“As long as we beat the English...”

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    On the flip side, have you ever witnessed a Pearl Jams ‘Jeremy’ getting sung in Merthyr Labour club after Wales have beaten England in the rugger?

Shove that up your arse.

a tremendous song about the effects of childhood bullying shouted out by a load of blokes on allbright

a tremendous song about the effects of childhood bullying shouted out by a load of blokes on allbright
    The most popular pint in Wales...

Used to on tap at the club I used to work in. Absolute piss water. No ****er ever asked for it.

Dave Grohl is from Northern Virginia (Owns The Black Cat in DC).
    Hendrix had to go to the UK to make it.
    Pearl Jam are fcuking gash and Alice In Chains are worse.

A good friend was in 60ft Dolls and to be fair while not having a legacy like those West Coast Misery’s....they rocked like fcuk live for a 3 Piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Dave Grohl is from Northern Virginia (Owns The Black Cat in DC).
    Hendrix had to go to the UK to make it.
    Pearl Jam are fcuking gash and Alice In Chains are worse.

A good friend was in 60ft Dolls and to be fair while not having a legacy like those West Coast Misery’s....they rocked like fcuk live for a 3 Piece.
    Christ I don't know where to start

Grohl and the other two made their name in seattle

Hendrix was born , raised and spent his early years in seattle playing music

Pearl Jam are a huge , worldwide hard rock band with their roots in green river and mother love bone , if you know your rock music seattle is very very influential

Alice in Chains album dirt about heroin addiction , post traumatic stress disorder and enduring mental illness , their downtuned riff heavy sound is influencing many bands to this day in the world of hard Rock

Soundgarden from seattle exploded out of nowhere , totally unlike most of the seattle grunge scene they were like a led zeppelin for the nineties

Why do you think songs like them bones , down in a whole , nutshell and rooster........all songs by Alice in chains and about mental illness , trauma from war , drug addiction are some of the most downloaded rock music songs off you tube and songs from catatonia , feeder and the 60 foot dolls are ....not ?

Were the dolls shit ? Open to debate but I think they had their moments

Who rocked like feck for a three piece ?

Well the answer to that is clearly nirvana or the Melvins , the dolls are little goldfish compared to those two

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I was going to suggest Sheffield. loads of quality from human league to pulp to Arctic Monkeys to my favourite slow Club
    I think your case for Sheffield falls down as soon as you mention Human League in the same sentence as the word 'quality'.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I think your case for Sheffield falls down as soon as you mention Human League in the same sentence as the word 'quality'.
    There was a time and a place for The Human League - original and later line up. We saw them about 10 years ago at the City Hall and had a great night of synth pop nostalgia!

Anyway, I raise you The Long Blonds and The Everley Pregnant Brothers.

You’re brave including Lostprophets in there. You might as well shove Rolf Harris in as his grandfather was from Merthyr.
    Oh shit yeah, I forgot in my quest to prove Wales has provided important bands. I take it all back.

Its not a contest, but you could argue Budgie are more influential than Nirvana and Pearl Jam put together

All I'm saying is you can't dismiss a music scene or say they haven't produced any bands purely because you don't like them. SE Wales has produced its fair share of great and influential bands for a relatively small place in thrall to rugby

Feedback

you're not ****ing serious

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The Ramones, The New York Dolls, Television, Public Enemy, The Velvet Underground, Wu Tang, Talking Heads, Run DMC, Biggie, LL Cool J, etc etc. There are more world-class hip hop artists from New York than all Manchester bands put together.
    don't be so ****ing stupid

Feedback

Shove that up your arse.

sludge is in town on international day, so won't ever see that

you're not ****ing serious
    Yeah, I know, I fecked it and somehow forgot about the vile Watkins when writing the list

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    quantity does not equal quality, although I have said NYC aren't far behind.

Yeah, I know, I fecked it and somehow forgot about the vile Watkins when writing the list
    ugh I remember reading the judges summing up statement from that case, I think someone posted it on here. absolutely horrific

Its not a contest, but you could argue Budgie are more influential than Nirvana and Pearl Jam put together

All I'm saying is you can't dismiss a music scene or say they haven't produced any bands purely because you don't like them. SE Wales has produced its fair share of great and influential bands for a relatively small place in thrall to rugby
    I don't think you will find many rock music fans who list budgie as more influential than pearl jam and nirvana put together

Budgie had their moments , breadfan is a fantastic song but they were very much influenced by led zep

Nirvana took a mix of metal , indie and punk and came out with something very new

However if it wasnt for husker du , nirvana would not have existed

Nice to talk music with you mate

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    ugh I remember reading the judges summing up statement from that case, I think someone posted it on here. absolutely horrific
    I downloaded that , it stayed with me for days

Truly evil depraved man

I downloaded that , it stayed with me for days

Truly evil depraved man
    Same here, just reading it ****ed me up for days. I can't imagine having to be a judge and sit through days at a time of that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Same here, just reading it ****ed me up for days. I can't imagine having to be a judge and sit through days at a time of that kind of stuff.
    or the jury

don't be so ****ing stupid
    OK, name names.