+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Messi on his way...

Messi on his way...

Messi tells Barca he wants to leave the club
    https://www.tsn.ca/1.1514350.1598379779

PL, Bundesliga, Serie A, Argentina or MLS?

Re: Messi on his way...

Sign him up Neil!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Sign him up Neil!
    all very well, but who would make way for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Sign him up Neil!
    Is Messi represented by the McKays !

He's no Ronaldo.

We could offer them Paterson in a straight swap!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Messi tells Barca he wants to leave the club
    https://www.tsn.ca/1.1514350.1598379779

PL, Bundesliga, Serie A, Argentina or MLS?
    He could be our Allan Simonsen.

I think Juventus will be a great move for him, give them Ramsey, as part of the deal, having Ronaldo and Messi on the same team is something loads of people have wanted to see, and commercial would be huge income stream for Juve.

+ he is guaranteed league titles in another country which he desperately needs for his cv.

desperately needs on his CV?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    desperately needs on his CV?
    Yes the fact he has never tested himself in another league, is a stick lots of people have used against him, not saying I agree with the sentiment but it certainly is a very popular one in footballing circles.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Yes the fact he has never tested himself in another league, is a stick lots of people have used against him, not saying I agree with the sentiment but it certainly is a very popular one in footballing circles.
    I don't really get it, i'm sure people don't think he would struggle to score goals abroad, I know he will and certainly would have in his prime.

Other players get plaudits for spending so long with one club.

Difference with Ronaldo is he didn't come through the system at somewhere like Barcelona or Real.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I doubt he gives a **** tbh he's widely accepted as the best if all time and is the best paid football player of all time

Legal wrangle ahead.

Messi has activated a clause that says he can leave for free - provided he told Barca in June.
    Messi argues that that date is void due to the season extension.
    Barca say that he can leave if someone pays 700 M Euros

It's going to get messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He's no Ronaldo.
    Correct! He's way way way better. In a league of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Correct! He's way way way better. In a league of his own.
    I agree, a genius with the ball and scoring. Ronnie is a phenomenal scorer mind.....

We need cover for Tomlin - so he'll probably be guaranteed a bench place.

The club could probably recoup his transfer fee through shirt sales alone.

If only the club had shirts to sell.

Why do people feel the need to look for a negative. The bloke is probably the best player in the world and others fling in another name who they think is better. Messi is a footballing genius regardless of who else can or cannot play.

He's scored 26 goals in 34 games against the 5 best Pl teams. I'm sure if he can score against them he can score against Norwich and Burnley.

Hes definitely on the decline but still an amazing player.

He scores more goals against the better teams Sevilla, athletico, real and valencia are the teams he has scored most against.

He has nothing to prove.

I do wonder if this is just a plot to remove those incharge.

In fact his goals scored are in another level, club record 634 goals in 731 appearances, over 40 in 10 consecutive seasons and a whopping 79 in 2012. Will there ever be another Messi?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Why do people feel the need to look for a negative. The bloke is probably the best player in the world and others fling in another name who they think is better. Messi is a footballing genius regardless of who else can or cannot play.
    I’m not 100% sure he’s even in the top 3 at the moment.

No doubt he’s one of the greatest of all time but he’s not going to perform at the levels he was 5-10 years ago when he was unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We need cover for Tomlin - so he'll probably be guaranteed a bench place.
    Unless Vassell is fit of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Unless Vassell is fit of course.
    Messi is slowing up a bit now, so he'll drop into a central midfield position. Question is whether he could replace Marlon Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I’m not 100% sure he’s even in the top 3 at the moment.
    I suspect he's not in the top 10, but don't ask me to name a top 10 as I couldn't, simply to my lack of knowledge of world football.

Our own legend, Peter Whittingham, was an unbelievable player for us for several seasons, yet I would argue that, from the 2013/14 Premier League season, he was never the best player in the side. When younger, top players seem to do unbelievable things. Then they just produce. Then things start slowing up, goals, brilliance, even though they can still be hugely influential. To remain on top takes an incredible amount of dedication. A decline can be quite rapid. It can then be difficult to say a brilliant player should leave, because of his previous talents and efforts for the club, even if, deep down, it's the right thing.

Barcelona should let Messi go and offer him an amazing contract to bring him back as a coach. They need a big rebuilding project. Messi won't be a part of that. Once you start to lose your effectivity, time to go, not keep on out of loyalty. For Messi, how he could ever be a success elsewhere is going to be a problem. He's got his reputation to live up to. He has enough money. What can he do in footballing terms that would be a huge motivation?

Lionel just set the record for the most assists in a season and the first player to ever record 20+ goals and assists in a single season. He definitely still has the ability.

The problem though is Messi's salary is 50 million euros a year net, which means they pay the taxman an additional 50m. Who could afford 100m a year wages?

For example Man Utd get 15% from shirt sales, so they'd have to sell more than 9 million shirts to break even.

He could go to China.