+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Whats the roughest place you have been to in the UK or US ?

Whats the roughest place you have been to in the UK or US ?

UK........we all know about parts of London but for me parts of inner city liverpool were pretty grim

Some of the streets around goodison park , Anfield and Toxteth and croxteth were very deprived

Not done a lot of the states but Detroit and Cleveland gave me the willies

Re: Whats the roughest place you have been to in the UK or US ?

Many years ago whilst on a business trip to the US I was in Philadelphia and went for a drive. Got lost and ended up in South Philadelphia. Finally found my way out, told some US friends about this and they were horrified. I quote:-

While the majority of Americans report that they believe Chicago is the most dangerous city in America, looking solely at the murder rate per capita, Philadelphia could be considered one of the most dangerous big cities in America with a murder rate of 21.5 per 100,000 people.27 Jul 2020

Also got lost in Baltimore on the way back from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    UK........we all know about parts of London but for me parts of inner city liverpool were pretty grim

Some of the streets around goodison park , Anfield and Toxteth and croxteth were very deprived

Not done a lot of the states but Detroit and Cleveland gave me the willies
    Went to the League cup game against Liverpool in 2007. Surprised how dreadful the streets around Anfield were. My sister lived in a very dodgy area of Kilburn, moved to a block of flats in Battersea and saw someone being stabbed to death outside the front. She'd never live in London again.

As for scary, when she was about 19 or 20 she went to South America chasing after a guy she'd met a few years before on a rugby trip. She crossed over a border from Colombia to Brazil and was followed at a distance by a bloke with a gun. Scared for her life, she went into a small shop just over the border and was offered shelter by the owner. Turned out her handbag was open and her camera was visibly on display, so the drug barons running the border were very suspicious of her. She managed to get a car and escaped.

Parts of Miami right up there for me, really deprived areas.

Went to Watt's in LA which has a bad reputation, but it wasn't too bad, but this was the middle of the day and there were a number of burnt out cars dotted around the metro station - so I imagine it was probably a little more intimidating when the California sun went down... considering the area and the history was somewhat surprised Cardiff Uni sent a small group of us into the area, but nonetheless some good street art and Watts towers, so not a totally redundant visit.

Not in the UK or US but Paris is by far the roughest place I've ever been, and the only city I've been too which I felt truly unsafe in.

Was up in Sunderland last year and parts of that seemed a bit grim and the locals didn't seem that fussed on outsiders. Oldham and Luton aren't places to hang around long in either. Not sure if its improved these days but Rhyl used to be a right dump, the seafront was full of boarded up houses with a rusting abandoned pleasure park for company.

Was up in Sunderland last year and parts of that seemed a bit grim and the locals didn't seem that fussed on outsiders. Oldham and Luton aren't places to hang around long in either. Not sure if its improved these days but Rhyl used to be a right dump, the seafront was full of boarded up houses with a rusting abandoned pleasure park for company.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Many years ago whilst on a business trip to the US I was in Philadelphia and went for a drive. Got lost and ended up in South Philadelphia. Finally found my way out, told some US friends about this and they were horrified. I quote:-

While the majority of Americans report that they believe Chicago is the most dangerous city in America, looking solely at the murder rate per capita, Philadelphia could be considered one of the most dangerous big cities in America with a murder rate of 21.5 per 100,000 people.27 Jul 2020

Also got lost in Baltimore on the way back from DC.
    my mate lives near Baltimore rough

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Went to the League cup game against Liverpool in 2007. Surprised how dreadful the streets around Anfield were. My sister lived in a very dodgy area of Kilburn, moved to a block of flats in Battersea and saw someone being stabbed to death outside the front. She'd never live in London again.

As for scary, when she was about 19 or 20 she went to South America chasing after a guy she'd met a few years before on a rugby trip. She crossed over a border from Colombia to Brazil and was followed at a distance by a bloke with a gun. Scared for her life, she went into a small shop just over the border and was offered shelter by the owner. Turned out her handbag was open and her camera was visibly on display, so the drug barons running the border were very suspicious of her. She managed to get a car and escaped.
    didn't the Colombian drug lords kill the player that missed a penalty in the world Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Parts of Miami right up there for me, really deprived areas.

Went to Watt's in LA which has a bad reputation, but it wasn't too bad, but this was the middle of the day and there were a number of burnt out cars dotted around the metro station - so I imagine it was probably a little more intimidating when the California sun went down... considering the area and the history was somewhat surprised Cardiff Uni sent a small group of us into the area, but nonetheless some good street art and Watts towers, so not a totally redundant visit.

Not in the UK or US but Paris is by far the roughest place I've ever been, and the only city I've been too which I felt truly unsafe in.
    Is watts LA or san fran ?

Northern social housing in Paris is very scary

UK, some parts of East and South London are a bit hairy at times with the little gangs knocking about and constantly having to look over your shoulder.

Salford is very rough in parts.

The utter cesspit tag has to go to Luton for me.

As with most places things seem to ramp up after dark.

Both here and in the US though even in the very best and safest parts you're never too far from some rough areas. Most cities are the same. The locals just know the areas and steer clear. It's your visitor and football fans that will walk into the equivalent of The Jockey on Shameless without even realising.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    We don't like outsiders up here , a lot of us want that university closed.......Sunderland landlord quoted in crap towns

Oldham , tough town

Rhyl , lots of drug users dumped in cheap bedsits there , must be a multi agency solution to the problem

didn't the Colombian drug lords kill the player that missed a penalty in the world Cup?
    They did.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    They did.
    Andres Escobar.

He should have said he was a relation of the main guy...

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    UK, some parts of East and South London are a bit hairy at times with the little gangs knocking about and constantly having to look over your shoulder.

Salford is very rough in parts.

As with most places things seem to ramp up after dark.

Both here and in the US though even in the very best and safest parts you're never too far from some rough areas. Most cities are the same. The locals just know the areas and steer clear. It's your visitor and football fans that will walk into the equivalent of The Jockey on Shameless without even realising.
    we were playing Plymouth at home in the old soul crew days , a few young lads about 21 were walking in Plymouth tops towards the ninian Park pub which I had just passed , it was rammed with nutters out on the street

I told dont head that way guys , come with me and we went into the canton Cross

Later on plymouth were battered outside the ninian , one was in a coma in hospital for a while

we were playing Plymouth at home in the old soul crew days , a few young lads about 21 were walking in Plymouth tops towards the ninian Park pub which I had just passed , it was rammed with nutters out on the street

I told dont head that way guys , come with me and we went into the canton Cross

Later on plymouth were battered outside the ninian , one was in a coma in hospital for a while
    You should have took them to Mothercare.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    You should have took them to Mothercare.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Even I couldn't have saved them from the horrors of that

Is watts LA or san fran ?

Northern social housing in Paris is very scary
    Watts is in LA, South LA to be precise.

Skid Row in Los Angeles probably the biggest eye opener of my entire life, but I would feel including that as 'rough' would be unfair, the deprivation and squalor for a western country was astounding, but these were people living in tents and wooden shacks as they had nothing else, unlike the other areas I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Skid Row in Los Angeles probably the biggest eye opener of my entire life, but I would feel including that as 'rough' would be unfair, the deprivation and squalor for a western country was astounding, but these were people living in tents and wooden shacks as they had nothing else, unlike the other areas I mentioned.
    Thats third world in the richest country in the world

I was staying in Grand Rapids, Michigan (nice place). My friend and I had tickets for the Lions Vs Bears game at the old Pontiac Silverdome.
    I was driving the car up, very scenic route, however, when the skyline of Detroit became visible and traffic opened into 5 lanes, I became less confident. So my friend, a native of Michigan, took the wheel and I was tasked with map reading duties.
    My friend asked me almost immediately which lane to take as we approached an intersection. At that point, I had not got any bearings, but stupidly, rather than be honest and say I didn't know, I told my friend to take a right and turn off.

It was now becoming dark and we found ourselves in a 'hood', no doubt about it. Every 3rd or 4th house was burnt to the ground. There was almost no street lighting and there was no sign of any lights coming from within the houses that weren't derelict. Very few people were walking the streets, aside from small groups stood on corners.

We pulled into a gas station and I remained in the car. My friend got out and said to lock my door. While I was sat there I had time to survey the environment and it was clear this was not an area for non-blacks. Even the occupants of passing cars were all non-white.
    Anyway, my friend had noticed a police station a few hundred metres back and we decided to go there and ask for directions.
    A very friendly officer showed my friend on the map that we were quite some way from Pontiac and we were in suburban Detroit instead.
    While they were talking, I looked up and saw framed photos of officers taken on their graduation day in full-uniform. There were so many of these photos that they went around the entire four walls.
    Written in bold were the words... "In memory of those officers who gave their lives serving this precinct".

We couldn't get out of there fast enough!

my mate lives near Baltimore rough
    Baltimore has a high murder rate.

I remember a long time ago there was a Baltimore police officer in uniform at one of the City's home games. He was stood alongside a SWP officer by the players' tunnel. I think it was something to do with Cardiff being twinned with Baltimore.
    Anyone else remember this (it was featured in the Echo at the time)?

When I worked in London I stayed in Hounslow for just over two years and often went to nearby Southall. Both suburbs have tarnished reputations. The former is very cosmopolitan, while the latter is predominantly Asian.
    Never had any problems or witnessed any during my time there.

Not one mention of Jackland? Tank would be disappointed.

In Chicago on business once. After a night out with a customer decided to walk home about 3am. Took a short cut straight through the middle of Cabrini Green. Had a bit of bother with some rather unsavoury characters and was pleased to get out alive.

Castle Street dining area is pretty wild in these high winds