+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Joy Of Fishing

The Joy Of Fishing

https://youtu.be/BRSzLR0d9l4

Superb video of a bloke fishing with spinners on the river Nidd in Yorkshire, catching perch , chub , pike and trout , returning all the fish alive

This is the sort of fishing I do , its mobile and the way predatory fish hit the spinner is awesome and you can also do it locally

In the bridgend area and west its mostly just trout but the taff and ely rivers have trouch , perch , chub , pike , roach , dace , barbel and in some areas carp and bream

The taff in the valleys is mostly trout but from Radyr downwards it becomes a mixed fishery , once it empies into the bay it contains some huge fish

I prefer to fish the ely which starts in the valleys but by the time it reaches pontyclun lots of different species can be caught roach , dace , trout and once it gets to St Fagans plenty of big chub , barbel and some big pike .....biggest recorded is 27 pound

Its mostly private fishing but there are areas where day tickets are available

Give me a shout if you ever want to tag along

But if I ask you to meet me in Blackweir on a summer evening wearing just a pair of shorts run a mile

Keep rocking

Re: The Joy Of Fishing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-53913708

50,000 Salmon escape due to storm ellen.

Why whenever I go to the bay and look in the water does it look completely dead?

I'm sure you're right and there are fish there, but I've never seen anything alive in there.

totally read the title wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://youtu.be/BRSzLR0d9l4

Superb video of a bloke fishing with spinners on the river Nidd in Yorkshire, catching perch , chub , pike and trout , returning all the fish alive

This is the sort of fishing I do , its mobile and the way predatory fish hit the spinner is awesome and you can also do it locally

In the bridgend area and west its mostly just trout but the taff and ely rivers have trouch , perch , chub , pike , roach , dace , barbel and in some areas carp and bream

The taff in the valleys is mostly trout but from Radyr downwards it becomes a mixed fishery , once it empies into the bay it contains some huge fish

I prefer to fish the ely which starts in the valleys but by the time it reaches pontyclun lots of different species can be caught roach , dace , trout and once it gets to St Fagans plenty of big chub , barbel and some big pike .....biggest recorded is 27 pound

Its mostly private fishing but there are areas where day tickets are available

Give me a shout if you ever want to tag along

But if I ask you to meet me in Blackweir on a summer evening wearing just a pair of shorts run a mile

Keep rocking
    I'd love to tag along, I'm 58 and haven't done fishing for years but still have loads of gear in the garage 👍

Quote Originally Posted by lazbian View Post
    totally read the title wrong
    Considering the OP I was quite surprised too

phishing should be banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I'd love to tag along, I'm 58 and haven't done fishing for years but still have loads of gear in the garage 👍
    Rock and roll

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    phishing should be banned
    Definitly.
    And so should the blood sport of fishing.

Well, I wouldm't want my cheek to be ripped open, then left to fend for myself while fungus and god knows what infect the wound.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Definitly.
    And so should the blood sport of fishing.

Well, I wouldm't want my cheek to be ripped open, then left to fend for myself while fungus and god knows what infect the wound.

Barbed hooks are banned in most fishing clubs of any note nowadays , no cheeks ripped open

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why whenever I go to the bay and look in the water does it look completely dead?

I'm sure you're right and there are fish there, but I've never seen anything alive in there.
    massive stocks of fish in there , some huge pike

Loads of food including small fish , worms etc are flushed down the river taff and ely and empty into the bay , small fish feed on the worms , big fish eat the small ones

Barbed hooks are banned in most fishing clubs of any note nowadays , no cheeks ripped open
    Does one know tickle thier under bellies until they laugh so they leap voluntarily into one's bucket , its worse than hunting foxes with and dogs , poor little feckers they got not chance , with yer big clumping wellies , nasty hooks, big nets, smelly maggots , and cut open worms ,never mind yer big rods.

Bloody barbaric.

Fish Lives Matter.

International

If you're not hungry leave the things alone. They don't hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If you're not hungry leave the things alone. They don't hurt you.
    Don't worry , I won't hurt you

The tuna you eat in supermarkets? Die a dreadful , slow suffocating death

If you are into keeping fish , a sharp crack on the head with a priest does the trick but I am a conversation minded angler and even if I catch a trout fit for the table , I return it safely to the water to make lots of little trout

International

If you are into keeping fish , a sharp crack on the head with a priest does the trick but I am a conversation minded angler and even if I catch a trout fit for the table , I return it safely to the water to make lots of little trout
    So why take it out of the water at all?
    How are you so sure all tuna die the way you suggest?

PS I don't usually eat in supermarkets

I've known a few old trouts

So why take it out of the water at all?
    How are you so sure all tuna die the way you suggest?

PS I don't usually eat in supermarkets
    They are all mass netted , hauled aboard dumped below deck

The ones at the bottom are crushed by the ones above them

The rest die slowly , gasping for water

https://youtu.be/W4TkypfQA5o

Its like that on the lower river ely sometimes

International

They are all mass netted , hauled aboard dumped below deck

The ones at the bottom are crushed by the ones above them

The rest die slowly , gasping for water
    Aren't all fish caught in a similar fashion? Why single out tuna? And a lot of cans nowadays say 'line caught' which I assume means caught with a line.

Aren't all fish caught in a similar fashion? Why single out tuna? And a lot of cans nowadays say 'line caught' which I assume means caught with a line.
    No

Mass netting accounts for the vast majority of tuna caught

Line caught involves letting out a line of baited hooks hundreds of yards long on an industrial winder , then winding it back in , with fish on the end , gasping for breath

Its very very cruel and far crueler than catching a few fish down the river

People will say yeah but at least me and the kids are having tuna sarnies for tea but if they saw videos of what went on they would soon change their mind

International

No

Mass netting accounts for the vast majority of tuna caught

Line caught involves letting out a line of baited hooks hundreds of yards long on an industrial winder , then winding it back in , with fish on the end , gasping for breath

Its very very cruel and far crueler than catching a few fish down the river

People will say yeah but at least me and the kids are having tuna sarnies for tea but if they saw videos of what went on they would soon change their mind
    But mass netting accounts for cod plaice hake and most other day to day white fish in a fishmongers.
    The difference is they are caught to eat.
    You catch fish to hurt them traumatise them by dragging them fighting and gasping out of their natural environment and then throwing them back in just before they die so you or someone like you can do it again and again to the poor thing, until someone decides to eat it. If it didn't do them any harm they wouldn't fight the line and that would deprived anglers of their sadistic pleasure.
    Cruel bugger!

But mass netting accounts for cod plaice hake and most other day to day white fish in a fishmongers.
    You catch fish to hurt them traumatise them by dragging them fighting and gasping out of their natural environment and then throwing them back in just before they die so you or someone like you can do it again and again to the poor thing, until someone decides to eat it. If it didn't do them any harm they wouldn't fight the line and that would deprived anglers of their sadistic pleasure.
    Cruel bugger!
    Do fish repair the holes in their mouth after they get thrown back?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yeas, they use a needle and a bit of old fishing line to sew it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Mine do , I use barbless pin hooks that leave a tiny hole that grows over like skin grows over a little pin prick

Cruel bugger!
    given that arguement all those cuts that eat fish are more cruel that me

I mean whether a fish is suffocated to eat , crushed to death etc or caught by a fisherman then put back into the water I think fish would rather swim around with the occasional chance of being caught then left to swim again that suffocated or crushed for Friday supper