+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Deserter in the Ranks at CCFC

A Deserter in the Ranks at CCFC

Some CCFC history taken from the Supporters Trust Website. No doubt the CCMB genealogists can track down his military records.

https://www.ccfctrust.org

Re: A Deserter in the Ranks at CCFC

Great story.

I know there was some talk a few years ago of the trust getting involved with the Cardiff Story museum and putting on an exhibition regarding the history of the club using the memories of fans. I take it nothing came of it which is a shame.

Great stuff Rob and thanks to John Jones for those providing those photos and the background info - I don't get involved in rating threads, but I'm going to make an exception in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    Great story.

I know there was some talk a few years ago of the trust getting involved with the Cardiff Story museum and putting on an exhibition regarding the history of the club using the memories of fans. I take it nothing came of it which is a shame.
    I think the Trust did complete an oral histories project but I’m not sure about the Cardiff Story link. Last season the Trust discovered and flagged up an auction of a substantial and important collection of Cardiff City memorabilia. Various parties became very interested in the auction including Welsh Government, County Archive Service and the Cardiff Story. I seem to remember that, from the outset, the Cardiff Story project run by the Council made it clear that they had no budget which I suspect has always been their problem. The auction of memorabilia I believe exceeded £40k and it was the Club that ended up bidding and buying for most of what probably their own archive with a view to putting it on display at the Stadium. I understand it is all safely under lock and key at CCS at the moment but I suspect plans for putting it on display are probably way down the list of priorities at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fred Pagnam, the deserter, signed for the City from Arsenal in our first season in the Football League but didn't make his debut until 9 March 1921 scoring in a 3-2 home win against Barnsley.

The link you have posted is the club marking the centenary of our first ever league game on 28 August 1920 but the article is quite perfunctory. One would have thought that they would have made a bit more of a song and dance about it especially as it was a very successful first season.

Fred Pagnam was born in late 1891 at Blackpool.
    In the 1911 census, he was lodging at Huddersfield and was a 'footballer'.
    He married Lilian Gertrude Rayner on 17 9 1913 at South Shore, Blackpool. They had two sons, Brian and Frank by 1916.
    Fred enlisted at Liverpool on 12 12 1915 and joined the RGA (Royal Regiment of Artillery). He was a (cadet) gunner (Reg No 124544). He was 5' 71/2" tall; weighing 156 lbs. He gave his address as Nicholas Road, Wallelsey.
    Fred was a patient in the Military Reception Hospital, Portland - 12 6 1917 to 18 6 1917 with colitis.
    He was AWOL three times. 9 3 1918 to 13 3 1918 when he surrendered himself to the military authorities at Shoreham, Sussex.
    Then, 23 3 1918 to 10 4 1918, when he was apprehended by police at Wallesley. (A copy of the telegraph sent out is in his Service Records) He was punished by being returned to 'junior' rank.
    And thirdly: 20 4 1918 to 14 5 1918 when he was declared a deserter. He was charged for the clothing and 'necessities' that were lost.

Fred played for Blackpool, Huddersfield, L-pool, Arsenal and Cardiff. He managed Watford and then managed in Turkey. In 19 May 1940, he featured in a story of an amazing escape from the Nazis in Holland (where he coached Haarlem for eight years) when he was bombed from the air for five days. Interestingly, he was with his Dutch wife and daughter, Mary. However, his wife Lilian died at Liverpool in the March Qtr of 1940. Hmmmm!
    Fred died in February 1962, aged 70. He had been a licensee at Samlesbury near Preston, Lancs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Fred Pagnam was born in late 1891 at Blackpool.
    In the 1911 census, he was lodging at Huddersfield and was a 'footballer'.
    He married Lilian Gertrude Rayner on 17 9 1913 at South Shore, Blackpool. They had two sons, Brian and Frank by 1916.
    Fred enlisted at Liverpool on 12 12 1915 and joined the RGA (Royal Regiment of Artillery). He was a (cadet) gunner (Reg No 124544). He was 5' 71/2" tall; weighing 156 lbs. He gave his address as Nicholas Road, Wallelsey.
    Fred was a patient in the Military Reception Hospital, Portland - 12 6 1917 to 18 6 1917 with colitis.
    He was AWOL three times. 9 3 1918 to 13 3 1918 when he surrendered himself to the military authorities at Shoreham, Sussex.
    Then, 23 3 1918 to 10 4 1918, when he was apprehended by police at Wallesley. (A copy of the telegraph sent out is in his Service Records) He was punished by being returned to 'junior' rank.
    And thirdly: 20 4 1918 to 14 5 1918 when he was declared a deserter. He was charged for the clothing and 'necessities' that were lost.

Fred played for Blackpool, Huddersfield, L-pool, Arsenal and Cardiff. He managed Watford and then managed in Turkey. In 19 May 1940, he featured in a story of an amazing escape from the Nazis in Holland (where he coached Haarlem for eight years) when he was bombed from the air for five days. Interestingly, he was with his Dutch wife and daughter, Mary. However, his wife Lilian died at Liverpool in the March Qtr of 1940. Hmmmm!
    Fred died in February 1962, aged 70. He had been a licensee at Samlesbury near Preston, Lancs.
    Incredible ! That’s chapter and 2 verses on the life of Fred Pagnam. One of the more obscure City footballers but certainly a colourful life. Are you suggesting bigamy as well as desertion from the British Army ? Did you use one particular genealogy site to garner all this info ? Anyway, many thanks for researching Fred.👍

"A highly principled man" apparently;-

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...career-3503269

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    "A highly principled man" apparently;-
    I'd question this. Having read the news report of the time, I'm not convinced Fred was whiter than white. I was going to post the report, but YOU CAN'T POST IMAGES ON THIS FORUM.

It's annoying....

But he was certainly a fan's favourite wherever he played.

I'd question this. Having read the news report of the time, I'm not convinced Fred was whiter than white. I was going to post the report, but YOU CAN'T POST IMAGES ON THIS FORUM.

It's annoying....

you can post images?

It's annoying....

I posted it because it was a surprise to find it - I'd certainly favour what you posted over what is a piece clearly designed to show him in a good light.