+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Re: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Righto 👍
    Never watched Bake Off, Strictly, I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here or the Voice either, but I reckon I could take a decent guess as to what they involve.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    its true though , sky soccer Saturday is crap served up for lemmings

And they pay for it as well
    Don’t watch them. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I know Id had a few but I thought the two main commentators were Adam Smith and Matthew Macklin.

Ive also seen an analysis show with Macklin and Barry Jones.

Id prefer Scott to Garth Crooks or John Hartson.
    garth crooks was a real blood and thunder player

Now he's just a blob on the sofa mixing up his words

Hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I know Id had a few but I thought the two main commentators were Adam Smith and Matthew Macklin.

Ive also seen an analysis show with Macklin and Barry Jones.

Id prefer Scott to Garth Crooks or John Hartson.
    You said presenters so thought you meant having been on the show. Jonas was consulted a fair bit throughout the night.

I'm not totally anti female presenter but as I've said employing them just because they are female or because of the colour of their skin is wrong.

As far as I know Macklin works for Sky and Barry Jones for BT/Box Nation too.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Don’t watch them. Simple.
    you are not with it today

I just told you I only watch the nonsense when I go round mates houses daft enough to pay for it

I find it amusing that people pay money to watch such rubbish

These people are making money out of everyone

I regard my input as a psychiatrist watching the mentally ill

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    You said presenters so thought you meant having been on the show. Jonas was consulted a fair bit throughout the night.

I'm not totally anti female presenter but as I've said employing them just because they are female or because of the colour of their skin is wrong.
    To add some balance there are plenty of white English footballers who’ve got a punditry gig just because they’ve played a few seasons in the Premier League and they are no good / chat absolute bollocks.

Jamie O Hara is one who springs instantly to mind. Little wonder Talksport have picked him up with the nonsense he spouts.

You don't truly believe that a non league level player would be more qualified and a better fit than an ex Premier League player.
    That would depend entirely on the players concerned.

I've met a lot of ex-footballers in my time. Some of them are really bright, eloquent individuals. Meanwhile, many of them are as thick as two short planks and would be no better suited to being a TV reporter or pundit than that retired bus driver you mentioned.

One of the most knowledgable ex-players I know never played above League of Wales level. Knows the game inside out, though.

To add some balance there are plenty of white English footballers who’ve got a punditry gig just because they’ve played a few seasons in the Premier League and they are no good / chat absolute bollocks.

Jamie O Hara is one who springs instantly to mind. Little wonder Talksport have picked him up with the nonsense he spouts.
    I'm not saying that either.

Give it to the most deserving person regardless. Dropping somebody in who is undeserving isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I've met a lot of ex-footballers in my time. Some of them are really bright, eloquent individuals. Meanwhile, many of them are as thick as two short planks and would be no better suited to being a TV reporter or pundit than that retired bus driver you mentioned.

One of the most knowledgable ex-players I know never played above League of Wales level. Knows the game inside out, though.
    Well done.

Well done.
    Cheers. Appreciate it.

Never watched Bake Off, Strictly, I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here or the Voice either, but I reckon I could take a decent guess as to what they involve.

What’s Gogglebox about then? I’ve honestly never seen it and I genuinely have no clue what it is about. It just sounds inane.

I have to disagree with your view on Stelling though. He was once good but from the clips I’ve seen he’s become a geriatric .... but I guess most of us on here fit the same bill, so maybe that’s why some still relate to him

I like sam matterface on talksport.

Also I like stan collymore, who would fit into the diversity box

Knowing the game inside out in a way that resonates with you, isn’t the same as knowing the game inside out.

what position in society has led you to meeting so many ex footballers in your time ?

I have met Andy legg , Steve sherlock , Brian attley , Phil dryer, Cyrille regis , Ron Healey, Mark bonner , Steve mcphail , Roger gibbins , nick Richardson, windy Millar etc and thats by being cool

What’s Gogglebox about then? I’ve honestly never seen it and I genuinely have no clue what it is about. It just sounds inane.

I have to disagree with your view on Stelling though. He was once good but from the clips I’ve seen he’s become a geriatric .... but I guess most of us on here fit the same bill, so maybe that’s why some still relate to him
    Gogglebox is apparently a group of families or couples or friends or whatever watching TV, and the programme simply involves watching their reactions to whatever they're watching.

I think Stelling's great - very quick, very funny and lots of his views on the game tend to align with mine, so I'm a definite fan.

I'm not saying that either.

Give it to the most deserving person regardless. Dropping somebody in who is undeserving isn't right.
    How do you measure most deserving though?

Ryan Giggs, medals on table, there is no one greater in British football, but he has a very mundane personality.

Carragher couldn’t lace Giggs boots but he displays a real passion for the game which makes him a better pundit than Giggs would be.

Clearly Sky want to be more diverse moving forward and Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell had far better careers than say Clinton Morrison but Clinton is a better pundit.

Using Darts as an example you couldn’t get someone with more knowledge and experience than what they would be commentating on than Phil Taylor but he’s barely been on TV since he retired. Why? He’s arrogant, self absorbed and is not very good at giving credit to others, especially MVG, so wouldn’t make for a great pundit.

Wayne Mardle didn’t win a major yet he’s fantastic on the darts punditry because he’s got charisma and he’s relatable.

Sky obviously want Soccer Saturday to appeal to a wider audience and so they need a more diverse panel to appeal to that audience.

How do you measure most deserving though?

Ryan Giggs, medals on table, there is no one greater in British football, but he has a very mundane personality.

Carragher couldn’t lace Giggs boots but he displays a real passion for the game which makes him a better pundit than Giggs would be.

Clearly Sky want to be more diverse moving forward and Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell had far better careers than say Clinton Morrison but Clinton is a better pundit.

Using Darts as an example you couldn’t get someone with more knowledge and experience than what they would be commentating on than Phil Taylor but he’s barely been on TV since he retired. Why? He’s arrogant, self absorbed and is not very good at giving credit to others, especially MVG, so wouldn’t make for a great pundit.

Wayne Mardle didn’t win a major yet he’s fantastic on the darts punditry because he’s got charisma and he’s relatable.

Sky obviously want Soccer Saturday to appeal to a wider audience and so they need a more diverse panel to appeal to that audience.
    Phil Taylor is also a convicted sex pest.

Not a shining example for diversity.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...tack-on-women/

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Sky are bringing in new blood in an effort for their customers to relate better to their pundits.

Out with the white middle aged throw backs in with the shiny, aesthetic, politically sanctioned new presenters.

Tell me who watches Sky Sports again and probably accounts for a large percentage of their audience demographic?

I'm playing shit stirrer here.
    A bit like your local bank branch closing , "to improve services".

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Alex Scott is always good
    Sue smith is OK
    Matt Murray and micah Richards are the 2 best now.

I see Ian Wright mentioned Richards, Scott, sol campbell and Clinton morrison. He went onto praise the first 2, I assume he didn't do the others as both come across terribly.

Agree with tobw that the majority of people watching probably have never seen Thompson and Nicholas so lose their appeal.
    Agreed. Let’s hope the ex Liverpool full back joins the exodus.
    He is so boring he make me feel sleepy even when someone has scored a goal.

Knowing the game inside out in a way that resonates with you, isn’t the same as knowing the game inside out.
    Of course, but the person I'm talking about is very clearly and obviously considerably more knowledgable about many aspects of the game than some of the bone-headed ex-pros I've met who played at a much higher standard. Ability on the pitch certainly doesn't equate to knowledge of the sport. Having said all of the above, the guy I'm talking about would never make a TV pundit - he's far too scruffy and his language is much too ripe for that.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    A bit like your local bank branch closing , "to improve services".
    I've always assumed the overwhelming majority of Soccer Saturdays audience are the regulars in pubs, working men's clubs watching the scores whilst hoping their fixed odds bet comes up.

You know the male, white, aged 45+, know it alls who make up the majority of the country.

Best of luck to Sue Smith trying to get accepted by that lot.

The banter and comedy stories and chat about past footballing events is what gives the show its charm for me.

If you get rid of that it is only going one way for me. If that goes you might as well listen to five live and just be told snippets of play and scorelines as Soccer Saturday would offer little more without that humourous aspect.
    Totally agree. The age/relevance/sporting success of the presenters is of marginal importance when delivering an enjoyable afternoon experience. Gillette Soccer Saturday is a bit like TMS - the banter, the quips, etc. are all part of the show. I doubt this decision has anything to do with ratings or feedback from viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Phil Taylor is also a convicted sex pest.

Not a shining example for diversity.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...tack-on-women/
    Can’t stand Phil Taylor. Went to watch the darts in Cardiff on my 40th and took the opportunity to remind him in person that he was a nonce case.

Can’t stand Phil Taylor. Went to watch the darts in Cardiff on my 40th and took the opportunity to remind him in person that he was a nonce case.
    He's been found guilty of a low down sex attack on two women but he's not a nonce if we are using the term nonce to describe a paedophile

Gogglebox is apparently a group of families or couples or friends or whatever watching TV, and the programme simply involves watching their reactions to whatever they're watching.

I think Stelling's great - very quick, very funny and lots of his views on the game tend to align with mine, so I'm a definite fan.
    Well you would do , you are paying his wages