+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Re: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

What do people expect from the programme? To read some of the posts on here, it's a show with serious football analysis, but, for me, it's never been that - how can there ever be any real analysis of the matches being played or tactical discussion when the audience never gets to see anything of what's happening on the pitch apart from Football League goals in midweek games? Therefore, the whole argument about whether any replacements have the football knowledge and experience that the three sacked men did is a bit of a pointless one - did anyone ever learn anything about football tactics and fine points from anything Messrs Thompson, Nicholas and LeTissier said while the games were taking place?

They were seen as "personalities" as much as football analysts and, with Jeff Stelling staying, I think the same will apply to their replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I doubt this decision has anything to do with ratings or feedback from viewers.
    Are you daring to suggest the evil entity that is Sky Sports has made a decision that isn’t based on money? That can’t possibly be right, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Are you daring to suggest the evil entity that is Sky Sports has made a decision that isn’t based on money? That can’t possibly be right, can it?
    The show is going down the pisser

People are giving up on it

Its of course to do with money

Football is ruled by it nowadays

First Team

The title of this thread sounds like a woke joke beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Of course it is, but whilst the programme focuses predominately on the PL, it's far more 'democratic' in it's coverage than the BBC/BT Sports equivalent. They have reporters at at least 50% of league 1 and 2..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What do people expect from the programme? To read some of the posts on here, it's a show with serious football analysis, but, for me, it's never been that - how can there ever be any real analysis of the matches being played or tactical discussion when the audience never gets to see anything of what's happening on the pitch apart from Football League goals in midweek games? Therefore, the whole argument about whether any replacements have the football knowledge and experience that the three sacked men did is a bit of a pointless one - did anyone ever learn anything about football tactics and fine points from anything Messrs Thompson, Nicholas and LeTissier said while the games were taking place?

They were seen as "personalities" as much as football analysts and, with Jeff Stelling staying, I think the same will apply to their replacements.
    Don't start me on 'football analysis'. Jamie Spittoon Carragher talks utter over-complicated boll*cks - usually after the event. For me that's the attraction of those 3 ; it wasn't the substance, more the delivery.

Don't start me on 'football analysis'. Jamie Spittoon Carragher talks utter over-complicated boll*cks - usually after the event. For me that's the attraction of those 3 ; it wasn't the substance, more the delivery.
    Delivery? I won’t miss Charlie Nicholas screaming “CHAAAAAANCE” if somebody got near the 18 yard box tbh.

He's been found guilty of a low down sex attack on two women but he's not a nonce if we are using the term nonce to describe a paedophile
    It can be used to describe anyone guilty of a sex crime.

I might have known you’d stick up for him. “Low down sex attack” indeed. Blokes a raving danger.

Totally agree. The age/relevance/sporting success of the presenters is of marginal importance when delivering an enjoyable afternoon experience. Gillette Soccer Saturday is a bit like TMS - the banter, the quips, etc. are all part of the show. I doubt this decision has anything to do with ratings or feedback from viewers.

TMS is the Rolls Royce of sport commentary

The other 3 should have learned to spit better

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    All 3 weren't the best but there was also nothing wrong with them.

I hope this is to bring someone better in and not for tokenism's sake
    If people don't like who they bring in, then they should cancel their Sky subscription. That's the only thing that will hurt Murdoch

Some fools will prop them up financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    If people don't like who they bring in, then they should cancel their Sky subscription. That's the only thing that will hurt Murdoch
    Murdoch doesn't own Sky. Nor does he have a stake in it.

International

only ever watch soccer Saturday for brief moments when I am around mates who have it

Stelling is a good lad , passionate hartlepool fan

Kamara genuinely amusing guy

The rest of them are all cocks

Charlie Nicolas talks out of his arse and Phil Thompson is useless

The show is a load of crap from what I have seen it

And its on sky so bollocks to them all
    you seem to know the personalities pretty well considering you never watch it (Unless in a mate's house)
    (Wonders to self"Does sludge quite by chance pop into his mate's house every sat afternoon in the season? )

International

I recall one funny thing with Phil Thompson. He was commenting on a game between 2 of the lower teams in the Prem. Every time Stelling asked him what was happening he said 'nothing. There was not 1 attempt on target for the whole of the 1st half. He said the game was dreadful.

When all the games restarted someone else was talking and he suddenly let out a load groan. Stelling asked what was wrong and he said, "Terrible scene here at xxxxx" (Where ever it was)
    Stelling asked him what was happening and dead pan he said "Both teams have come out for the second half"

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I recall one funny thing with Phil Thompson. He was commenting on a game between 2 of the lower teams in the Prem. Every time Stelling asked him what was happening he said 'nothing. There was not 1 attempt on target for the whole of the 1st half. He said the game was dreadful.

When all the games restarted someone else was talking and he suddenly let out a load groan. Stelling asked what was wrong and he said, "Terrible scene here at xxxxx" (Where ever it was)
    Stelling asked him what was happening and dead pan he said "Both teams have come out for the second half"

It's a light entertainment show rather than some deep overly analytical tactics show, that is left to Monday mornings quarterback type shows.

Stelling is the glue that holds the show together, the midweek shows with that other guy are boring and matter of fact. The big question is whether the chemistry is there with the newbies whatever gender, ethnicity or AGE.

The problem with former professional footballers is they were good at football but are crap fans or pundits. Most of us want that terrace humour you get at the game, none of which has anything to do with playing the game at the highest level.

Sometimes you have to break up an winning but ageing team. I hope they get younger,lively, chippy, types. I don't care what gender or colour they are as long as they add something rather than a tick boxes.

you seem to know the personalities pretty well considering you never watch it (Unless in a mate's house)
    (Wonders to self"Does sludge quite by chance pop into his mate's house every sat afternoon in the season? )

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    They did. They had Natasha Jonas.

I think you should get comment from people who know what it is about. As I've said in a contact sport the female version of the sport is almost like a different sport.
    How high do you think the women's League champions would get in the men's system given the physical differences?

And I'm not against female pundits. If there is a section about female football and they commented on it then I would feel that they know a lot more about the subject matter.
    So do you think men talking about women's football shouldn't be allowed as they wouldn't have the experience on the subject matter?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How do you measure most deserving though?

Ryan Giggs, medals on table, there is no one greater in British football, but he has a very mundane personality.

Carragher couldn’t lace Giggs boots but he displays a real passion for the game which makes him a better pundit than Giggs would be.

Clearly Sky want to be more diverse moving forward and Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell had far better careers than say Clinton Morrison but Clinton is a better pundit.

Using Darts as an example you couldn’t get someone with more knowledge and experience than what they would be commentating on than Phil Taylor but he’s barely been on TV since he retired. Why? He’s arrogant, self absorbed and is not very good at giving credit to others, especially MVG, so wouldn’t make for a great pundit.

Wayne Mardle didn’t win a major yet he’s fantastic on the darts punditry because he’s got charisma and he’s relatable.

Sky obviously want Soccer Saturday to appeal to a wider audience and so they need a more diverse panel to appeal to that audience.
    Your point is valid, but I must comment on your thoughts on Phil Taylor. He's barely been seen on TV from his own choice. He doesn't attend many tournaments. As a commentator, on the rare occasions it has happened, I thought he's been humorous, not one bit judgemental and talks through it as if he was playing. I'd be more than happy for him to be a commentator. Things like humour and rapport can take some time.

When Rob Phillips started commentating on Radio Wales I didn't think much of him. He's now easily Wales' best football commentator and has a humour and rapport.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Absolutely. I was wording a similar response to the whole thread then I find you've done so far better than I ever could!

The show is generally so fast paced that it's impossible to give anything other than the bare bones of a situation. It's all about reporting on the games. It arguably doesn't require experts. Most of the reporters around the grounds are journalists. Only a small amount of reporters are ex-pros. They're the ones who get most of the attention and the biggest games, both on Sky and the BBC. Sky use more former players than the BBC but there's no evidence they are better off doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It can be used to describe anyone guilty of a sex crime.

I might have known you’d stick up for him. “Low down sex attack” indeed. Blokes a raving danger.
    low down as in lower than a snakes belly

Blokes clearly a **** , not defending him but he's clearly not a nonce is he , which is what you said he was

So you , on your birthday went up to this bloke and put him straight did you

That showed him

Not that u did it but it sounds good

you wonder wrong

It was sometimes on free view xx

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    it was on free view you dull can't

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    It's a light entertainment show rather than some deep overly analytical tactics show, that is left to Monday mornings quarterback type shows.

Stelling is the glue that holds the show together, the midweek shows with that other guy are boring and matter of fact. The big question is whether the chemistry is there with the newbies whatever gender, ethnicity or AGE.

The problem with former professional footballers is they were good at football but are crap fans or pundits. Most of us want that terrace humour you get at the game, none of which has anything to do with playing the game at the highest level.

Sometimes you have to break up an winning but ageing team. I hope they get younger,lively, chippy, types. I don't care what gender or colour they are as long as they add something rather than a tick boxes.