+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Re: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Does anyone watch games they don't have an interest in?

As for Soccer Saturday's audience, I reckon it's a lot more diverse than many people suspect. For instance, my partner watches it most weekends. She loves a few small fixed odds bets on a Saturday afternoon. Her favourite pundits are Matt Murray and Sue Smith. My closest friend's other half watches it regularly. Her favourite pundit is Matt Murray. The young lad I've been working with throughout the lockdown watches it most Saturdays. He doesn't have a favourite pundit but he can't stand Charlie Nicholas. A female colleague watches it regularly with her sister (they also like a small fixed odds bet). Their favourite pundit is Matt Murray (I'm seeing a pattern developing here.....).

I don't know whether this is true or not, but it seems to me that a lot more women are either watching football or interested in it these days compared to ten or twenty years ago. Therefore, I suspect Soccer Saturday's target audience has slowly but surely been changing.
    Alright smart arse about the point regarding games of interest.

Interesting observations and points about the Soccer Saturday viewers. Not something I've noticed, probably to being one of the hordes that sometimes watch it in a pub.

I'm assuming Sky have done their research and decided to freshen up their pundits to suit their audience?

I've always viewed the show as a souped up vidiprinter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Interesting observations and points about the Soccer Saturday viewers. Not something I've noticed, probably to being one of the hordes that sometimes watch it in a pub.

I'm assuming Sky have done their research and decided to freshen up their pundits to suit their audience?
    I suppose they must have done. It doesn't seem the type of company that would makes changes like this on a whim unless there was a commercial reason behind it.

The women I mentioned are all genuine football fans. My partner was a season ticket holder for many years before the rebrand; my mate's partner is a season ticket holder and has been for decades; my colleague and her sister are both Liverpool fans but have been Wales tournament ticket holders ever since the FAW introduced them.

With more and more women seemingly being interested in football these days, it makes sense for a show like Soccer Saturday to reflect that in their line-ups. For instance, of the match reporters who are out at the grounds every week, my partner particularly likes Bianca Westwood and Michelle Owen. I think they're both excellent, although my favourite match reporters are Johnny Phillips and Russ Taylor. I guess Soccer Saturday's producers need to try to find a balance to appeal to the whole of their audience.

I suppose they must have done. It doesn't seem the type of company that would makes changes like this on a whim unless there was a commercial reason behind it.

The women I mentioned are all genuine football fans. My partner was a season ticket holder for many years before the rebrand; my mate's partner is a season ticket holder and has been for decades; my colleague and her sister are both Liverpool fans but have been Wales tournament ticket holders ever since the FAW introduced them.

With more and more women seemingly being interested in football these days, it makes sense for a show like Soccer Saturday to reflect that in their line-ups. For instance, of the match reporters who are out at the grounds every week, my partner particularly likes Bianca Westwood and Michelle Owen. I think they're both excellent, although my favourite match reporters are Johnny Phillips and Russ Taylor. I guess Soccer Saturday's producers need to try to find a balance to appeal to the whole of their audience.
    The wife was a regular at Ninian Park and still has an active interest in City but its noticeably decreased over the years, for a number of reasons. You're probably right in assuming Sky are making the changes for commercial reasons and to reflect the viewing audience.

In fairness to Sky, their focus upon social issues like racism, black lives matter and homophobia have been a lot more detailed than other TV stations.

Gone are the days of Keys and Gray acting like sex pests with anyone female.

Does anyone watch games they don't have an interest in?

As for Soccer Saturday's audience, I reckon it's a lot more diverse than many people suspect. For instance, my partner watches it most weekends. She loves a few small fixed odds bets on a Saturday afternoon. Her favourite pundits are Matt Murray and Sue Smith. My closest friend's other half watches it regularly. Her favourite pundit is Matt Murray. The young lad I've been working with throughout the lockdown watches it most Saturdays. He doesn't have a favourite pundit but he can't stand Charlie Nicholas. A female colleague watches it regularly with her sister (they also like a small fixed odds bet). Their favourite pundit is Matt Murray (I'm seeing a pattern developing here.....).

I don't know whether this is true or not, but it seems to me that a lot more women are either watching football or interested in it these days compared to ten or twenty years ago. Therefore, I suspect Soccer Saturday's target audience has slowly but surely been changing.

Flicking through the channels yesterday afternoon I chanced on a J League game, when I started watching it was around about the 86th/87th minute, home side 3-1 down. Might as well watch it to the end I thought, glad I did, ended up 3-3 with both late goals coming in added time, it was mad, frantic football, small crowd there as well. Doubt if I’d have stuck with it if I’d stumbled over it in, say, the twentieth minute.

International

My ex partner used to watch it religiously.
    I think a lot of it is to do with their not having to go to matches to get the excitement because TV coverage is so good now-a-days.
    I know several girls who love watching it but wouldn't go near a live top level game for fear of aggro even though that is now a far more remote possibility

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    My ex partner used to watch it religiously.
    I think a lot of it is to do with their not having to go to matches to get the excitement because TV coverage is so good now-a-days.
    I know several girls who love watching it but wouldn't go near a live top level game for fear of aggro even though that is now a far more remote possibility
    My wife thinks football is far too sanitised.

When watching a game I never the house her most frequent expression seems to be “Get up you big blouse.”

Her favourite player was Roy Keane. I think that says a lot.

any organisation that supports BLM deserves no money from any fans, just like the bbc this organisation is full of cowards and maoists.

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn44 View Post
    any organisation that supports BLM deserves no money from any fans, just like the bbc this organisation is full of cowards and maoists.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Who do you reckon it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Who do you reckon it is?
    No idea, if it's a multi I'm terrible at spotting them, just thought it was a funny thing to say. The drama!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    No idea, if it's a multi I'm terrible at spotting them, just thought it was a funny thing to say. The drama!
    14 previous posts in 11 years.

A WUM of few words or a WUM who takes a very long time to compose a sentence? Or a multi who takes this persona out for a test drive once a year? Something a bit 'Q'ish about it reminds me of a contributor on the Politics board (not Organ or Heath).

International

some folks have several persona that they keep to ise if their current one is found out.

really strange post though,

Paddy power do have good adverts

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Alex Scott is always good
    Sue smith is OK
    Matt Murray and micah Richards are the 2 best now.

I see Ian Wright mentioned Richards, Scott, sol campbell and Clinton morrison. He went onto praise the first 2, I assume he didn't do the others as both come across terribly.

Agree with tobw that the majority of people watching probably have never seen Thompson and Nicholas so lose their appeal.
    Clinton Morrison is a bit boring, and Sol Campbell is a miserable sod IMO.

Michah Richards' personality is infectious but I hope he doesn't go to Sky because I listen to BBC 5 Live a lot and he's often on it.

Classic.