+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Phil Thompson is one of the most decorated players in English football. He captained a very successful Liverpool team and also captained England.

It was probably the right time to move on, as others have said he was being phased out last year, but he was certainly more qualified than most to be a pundit regardless of the fact there was a change to the name of the top division.

He had a bit of character, could laugh at himself, didn’t mind being taken the piss of and helped give the show that mates in a pub feel they were clearly going for. He’s left big shoes to fill NQAT.
    The banter and comedy stories and chat about past footballing events is what gives the show its charm for me.

If you get rid of that it is only going one way for me. If that goes you might as well listen to five live and just be told snippets of play and scorelines as Soccer Saturday would offer little more without that humourous aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    The banter and comedy stories and chat about past footballing events is what gives the show its charm for me.

If you get rid of that it is only going one way for me. If that goes you might as well listen to five live and just be told snippets of play and scorelines as Soccer Saturday would offer little more without that humourous aspect.
    Totally agree. The age/relevance/sporting success of the presenters is of marginal importance when delivering an enjoyable afternoon experience. Gillette Soccer Saturday is a bit like TMS - the banter, the quips, etc. are all part of the show. I doubt this decision has anything to do with ratings or feedback from viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I doubt this decision has anything to do with ratings or feedback from viewers.
    Are you daring to suggest the evil entity that is Sky Sports has made a decision that isn’t based on money? That can’t possibly be right, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Are you daring to suggest the evil entity that is Sky Sports has made a decision that isn’t based on money? That can’t possibly be right, can it?
    The show is going down the pisser

People are giving up on it

Its of course to do with money

Football is ruled by it nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The show is going down the pisser

People are giving up on it

Its of course to do with money

Football is ruled by it nowadays
    Of course it is, but whilst the programme focuses predominately on the PL, it's far more 'democratic' in it's coverage than the BBC/BT Sports equivalent. They have reporters at at least 50% of league 1 and 2..