+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Re: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thompson's best days as a footballer were more than forty years ago and Nicholas' not far short of that number ago and you're seeing the same in cricket where Gower and Botham have been absent from the recent test match coverage, at a guess, two thirds of those watching would never have seen them play..

I don't care what colour their replacements skins are or what sex they are, just whether they are good or not - that's why I would hope Clinton Morrison for one isn't one of them.
    Sky are bringing in new blood in an effort for their customers to relate better to their pundits.

Out with the white middle aged throw backs in with the shiny, aesthetic, politically sanctioned new presenters.

Tell me who watches Sky Sports again and probably accounts for a large percentage of their audience demographic?

I'm playing shit stirrer here.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Its SKY , they are all shite

Mind you look at shearer
    Have I got a second series?

It will probably be some token black guy or woman.

I'm not being harsh here but if they aren't qualified to pass comment then they should not be there.

Some retired midfielder who played for the Donny Belles does not know what it is like to play Premier League football sorry. If some lad from Slough Town skidded up on the Champions League panel and started telling us what the world class players should have done you'd think they had lost their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    It will probably be some token black guy or woman.

I'm not being harsh here but if they aren't qualified to pass comment then they should not be there.

Some retired midfielder who played for the Donny Belles does not know what it is like to play Premier League football sorry. If some lad from Slough Town skidded up on the Champions League panel and started telling us what the world class players should have done you'd think they had lost their minds.
    Out of the people let go only Le Tissier played premier league football.

Charlie Nicholas is 58 and Phil Thompson is 66 neither are middle aged.

"We especially welcome applications from disabled, BAME females who represent LGBT"

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

And?

Are you honestly saying they are not in a better position to comment than Sue Smith or Alex Scott?

What level do you think the women's Premier League would be in the men's football pyramid in this country?

A pundit for me should be an expert in their field. Sorry but the women that Sky employ had about as much chance as me of playing Premier League football.

I don't care what colour their replacements skins are or what sex they are, just whether they are good or not - that's why I would hope Clinton Morrison for one isn't one of them.
    Phil Thompson has gently and gradually been pushed aside in recent seasons. He's been on the show less and less frequently in recent times. Charlie Nicholas does my head in, so I'm not sorry to see the back of him. Bit surprised Matt Le Tissier has gone, though. He was always interesting and entertaining.

As for the new crop, I quite like Clinton Morrison. Matt Murray is great, while Sue Smith is brilliant - one of the very best in that role in my opinion.

Did you see Gareth Ainsworth on the show recently? He was a natural - really good value.

Thompson's best days as a footballer were more than forty years ago and Nicholas' not far short of that number ago and you're seeing the same in cricket where Gower and Botham have been absent from the recent test match coverage, at a guess, two thirds of those watching would never have seen them play..

tobw, botham retired at the end of last season not sure about gower and charles seems to be missing as well

A pundit for me should be an expert in their field. Sorry but the women that Sky employ had about as much chance as me of playing Premier League football.
    Probably about as much chance as Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger did too.....

https://youtu.be/RGjydmF1MAw

I'm sorry but Sue Smith, given the evidence above, should not be in any position to tell me the things Aguero did wrong in missing his chance or how much pressure Messi is under while taking a penalty. It's not right.

We have hit the area of blatant positive discrimination. If they are the best person for the job then get them in.
    Sorry but a woman who played the equivalent of the Evostik Premier is not the best person or in any way qualified in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Probably about as much chance as Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger did too.....
    They got jobs as pundits on shows with no experience did they?

No, they worked their way up from the bottom and had top jobs before people had them on programmes like Soccer Saturday or the like.

Though you knew that didn't you.
    If a woman gets a managerial job in the Premier League then I'm all ears. Until that time they've just played a mediocre standard of football and have literally no position in the men's game.

It cuts both ways too. I wouldn't expect Jamie Carragher being able to tell me how tough it was playing away at West Ham Ladies for the Donny Belles either. How would be know?

How about people just waiting to see who they employ? There's an awful lot of conclusions being jumped to here.

How about people just waiting to see who they employ? There's an awful lot of conclusions being jumped to here.
    I'm talking more about the women already in place on Sky Sports.
    If they were so knowledgeable or tactically astute then surely you would see a few of them popping up in coaching roles or managerial jobs in the men's game. You don't for a very good reason.

In my opinion women and men's football are not even in the same stratosphere. The difference in physicality and skill of the games that they played and comment on they might as well be different sports, they are that different.

I'm sorry but Sue Smith..... Sorry but a woman......
    Let's be honest, you're not sorry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    It probably did need a shake up. The stuff between Stelling and Nicholas was a bit weird and always felt like they were in more on the joke than the audience.
    A really tired show, which may be saved by some new pundits although I have never understood why people would spend time watching people watching football Surely there MUST be better things to do?!

Nicholas was useless and far worse than that, completely irrelevant - I remember trying to explain to my boys who he was (won the League Cup with Arsenal and was quite good in Scotland......? )

I'm sorry but Sue Smith, given the evidence above, should not be in any position to tell me the things Aguero did wrong in missing his chance or how much pressure Messi is under while taking a penalty. It's not right.
    Credit to you, that's one of the dumbest lines of argument I've seen on here in a very long time and the competition is pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    A really tired show, which may be saved by some new pundits although I have never understood why people would spend time watching people watching football Surely there MUST be better things to do?
    There's a little bit more to the show than that. It's not Soccer Gogglebox.

Let's be honest, you're not sorry at all.
    And you know that do you? You don't but you're so high and mighty whatever you say has to be taken as gospel. You seem to have yourself down as some kind of message board mystic who likes to think he knows a lot about posters. You don't.

Are you honestly telling me that a female pundit is a better candidate than thousands of ex pros that played at a better level than them up and down the land?
    Are they able to give tactical insight, can portray the pressures a footballer is under in front of a full capacity Old Trafford and know what it is like to even be tackled full force by a professional Premier League footballer?That's nonsense.

If they are putting people in jobs because of their sex and skin colour to in some way undo the wrongs that went before then it is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Credit to you, that's one of the dumbest lines of argument I've seen on here in a very long time and the competition is pretty strong.
    If you say so.

Care to share your opinion as to why you think women ex footballers should be on the panel or are in any way qualified to comment?

Questioning another posters intellect, calling them dumb. I'm only one dictionary check from a line on Lone Gunman bingo here.

There's a little bit more to the show than that. It's not Soccer Gogglebox.
    No there isn't - it is rubbish, as was Nicholas.

The show has gone through a refesh before. People like Alan Mcinally put out to pasture to be replaced with more recently retired playes. Were the three people sacked middle-aged white men – Yes, but that is because everyone on the show is!

The fact that people are being abused online for getting a job that they havent even got yet is a far bigger societal concern from my perspective

I cant believe people actually watch gogglebox to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

Phil Thompson is one of the most decorated players in English football. He captained a very successful Liverpool team and also captained England.

It was probably the right time to move on, as others have said he was being phased out last year, but he was certainly more qualified than most to be a pundit regardless of the fact there was a change to the name of the top division.

He had a bit of character, could laugh at himself, didn’t mind being taken the piss of and helped give the show that mates in a pub feel they were clearly going for. He’s left big shoes to fill NQAT.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Phil Thompson is one of the most decorated players in English football. He captained a very successful Liverpool team and also captained England.

It was probably the right time to move on, as others have said he was being phased out last year, but he was certainly more qualified than most to be a pundit regardless of the fact there was a change to the name of the top division.

He had a bit of character, could laugh at himself, didn’t mind being taken the piss of and helped give the show that mates in a pub feel they were clearly going for. He’s left big shoes to fill NQAT.
    The banter and comedy stories and chat about past footballing events is what gives the show its charm for me.

If you get rid of that it is only going one way for me. If that goes you might as well listen to five live and just be told snippets of play and scorelines as Soccer Saturday would offer little more without that humourous aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    All 3 weren't the best but there was also nothing wrong with them.

I hope this is to bring someone better in and not for tokenism's sake
    Unlikely. Merson is still there.