+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

..so says Ian Wright.

I for one really enjoyed tuning in to Soccer Saturday on a wet afternoon when City were away. The banter between them and Stelling was excellent..

Re: "Three middle-aged white guys get the sack.."

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..so says Ian Wright.

I for one really enjoyed tuning in to Soccer Saturday on a wet afternoon when City were away. The banter between them and Stelling was excellent..

Your headline is very misleading !!!
    It makes out Ian Wright is backing the “3 middle aged white guys”, whereas the twitter post, shows he’s backing the sackings .

It probably did need a shake up. The stuff between Stelling and Nicholas was a bit weird and always felt like they were in more on the joke than the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    It probably did need a shake up. The stuff between Stelling and Nicholas was a bit weird and always felt like they were in more on the joke than the audience.
    A really tired show, which may be saved by some new pundits although I have never understood why people would spend time watching people watching football Surely there MUST be better things to do?!

Nicholas was useless and far worse than that, completely irrelevant - I remember trying to explain to my boys who he was (won the League Cup with Arsenal and was quite good in Scotland......? )

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    A really tired show, which may be saved by some new pundits although I have never understood why people would spend time watching people watching football Surely there MUST be better things to do?
    There's a little bit more to the show than that. It's not Soccer Gogglebox.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    There's a little bit more to the show than that. It's not Soccer Gogglebox.
    No there isn't - it is rubbish, as was Nicholas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    No there isn't - it is rubbish, as was Nicholas.
    Generally, the show runs from midday to 6:00pm on a Saturday. The football's usually on from 3:00pm to 5:00pm of thereabouts. It's not just about watching people watching football at all. It's about seeing the scores come through (and often the goals go in) as they happen, getting reports of what's happening up and down the country in all of the leagues as the action happens, some lively pre-match debates, some really good laughs, some excellent features in the three-hour pre-match segment, etc.

But hey, you knew that anyway.....

All 3 weren't the best but there was also nothing wrong with them.

I hope this is to bring someone better in and not for tokenism's sake

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

We'll see.

Replacements likely to be
    A: Black
    B: Female

At least sky will have to ditch that annoying xmas ad where they're dressed as elves

Alex Scott is always good
    Sue smith is OK
    Matt Murray and micah Richards are the 2 best now.

I see Ian Wright mentioned Richards, Scott, sol campbell and Clinton morrison. He went onto praise the first 2, I assume he didn't do the others as both come across terribly.

Agree with tobw that the majority of people watching probably have never seen Thompson and Nicholas so lose their appeal.

Sue smith is OK

I see Ian Wright mentioned Richards, Scott, sol campbell and Clinton morrison. He went onto praise the first 2, I assume he didn't do the others as both come across terribly.

Agree with tobw that the majority of people watching probably have never seen Thompson and Nicholas so lose their appeal.
    Agreed. Let’s hope the ex Liverpool full back joins the exodus.
    He is so boring he make me feel sleepy even when someone has scored a goal.

Sue smith is OK

Clinton Morrison is a bit boring, and Sol Campbell is a miserable sod IMO.

Michah Richards' personality is infectious but I hope he doesn't go to Sky because I listen to BBC 5 Live a lot and he's often on it.

Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

At least sky will have to ditch that annoying xmas ad where they're dressed as elves
    If they're the best for the job who cares? Alex Scott is decent but she's on everything.

Problem is half the skill with the job isn't actually the punditry it's the rapport. That takes years to build and no guarantee it will ever be there. Look at Kammy, he's an idiot but it's what you tune in for.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

LGBT ?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    LGBT ?
    TBG? :tbg:

If people don't like who they bring in, then they should cancel their Sky subscription. That's the only thing that will hurt Murdoch

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    If people don't like who they bring in, then they should cancel their Sky subscription. That's the only thing that will hurt Murdoch
    Murdoch doesn't own Sky. Nor does he have a stake in it.

Thompson's best days as a footballer were more than forty years ago and Nicholas' not far short of that number ago and you're seeing the same in cricket where Gower and Botham have been absent from the recent test match coverage, at a guess, two thirds of those watching would never have seen them play..

I don't care what colour their replacements skins are or what sex they are, just whether they are good or not - that's why I would hope Clinton Morrison for one isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thompson's best days as a footballer were more than forty years ago and Nicholas' not far short of that number ago and you're seeing the same in cricket where Gower and Botham have been absent from the recent test match coverage, at a guess, two thirds of those watching would never have seen them play..

I don't care what colour their replacements skins are or what sex they are, just whether they are good or not - that's why I would hope Clinton Morrison for one isn't one of them.
    Sky are bringing in new blood in an effort for their customers to relate better to their pundits.

Out with the white middle aged throw backs in with the shiny, aesthetic, politically sanctioned new presenters.

Tell me who watches Sky Sports again and probably accounts for a large percentage of their audience demographic?

I'm playing shit stirrer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Sky are bringing in new blood in an effort for their customers to relate better to their pundits.

Out with the white middle aged throw backs in with the shiny, aesthetic, politically sanctioned new presenters.

Tell me who watches Sky Sports again and probably accounts for a large percentage of their audience demographic?

I'm playing shit stirrer here.
    A bit like your local bank branch closing , "to improve services".

Phil Thompson has gently and gradually been pushed aside in recent seasons. He's been on the show less and less frequently in recent times. Charlie Nicholas does my head in, so I'm not sorry to see the back of him. Bit surprised Matt Le Tissier has gone, though. He was always interesting and entertaining.

As for the new crop, I quite like Clinton Morrison. Matt Murray is great, while Sue Smith is brilliant - one of the very best in that role in my opinion.

Did you see Gareth Ainsworth on the show recently? He was a natural - really good value.

tobw, botham retired at the end of last season not sure about gower and charles seems to be missing as well