+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How to choose a new team?

How to choose a new team?

Next month I move out to Poland for up to 3 years, as I start up production in our new post Brexit EU facility.

For the last 18 months during the construction phase I've been splitting my time between the two sites, soon I have to make the commitment.

So the big question is Widzew or LKS? The big club with the older stadium or the little club with the brand new stadium. Both play in Red / White Red, both are phoenix clubs, both have risen rapidly from division 5 back to liga 1 (Polish Championship) after bankruptcy.

The first derby is due on Sept 16th but they've asked for a postponement until crowds are allowed in.

LKS stadium is around 1/2 mile from my house, Widzew is around 3 or 4 miles away.

My local crew are split 50:50 & it's a spicy typical in city rivalry.

I haven't had to make a choice for 52 years .....

Re: How to choose a new team?

I’d sit on the fence and watch both teams.

That’ll keep all your crew happy.

LKS its easier to say and remember

Who's got the hardest fans?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Who's got the hardest fans?
    ^^^ this

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I’d sit on the fence and watch both teams.

That’ll keep all your crew happy.
    This. You might then find a more natural affinity to one over another. You might not.

My natural leanings would point me in the direction of LKS, but I also feel they idea of watching both of them is a good one in these circumstances.

Go and watch both when allowed, I reckon through mixing with fans you’ll naturally identify with one set over the other, not through choice but by natural instinct. Would be awful to make an early wrong choice, realise your mistake, then having to tough it out or change midstream and risk the ridicule of your colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Go and watch both when allowed, I reckon through mixing with fans you’ll naturally identify with one set over the other, not through choice but by natural instinct. Would be awful to make an early wrong choice, realise your mistake, then having to tough it out or change midstream and risk the ridicule of your colleagues.
    And that way you can build up an immunity to COVID-19 - if they’re letting fans in to the stadia...!! 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Next month I move out to Poland for up to 3 years, as I start up production in our new post Brexit EU facility.

For the last 18 months during the construction phase I've been splitting my time between the two sites, soon I have to make the commitment.

So the big question is Widzew or LKS? The big club with the older stadium or the little club with the brand new stadium. Both play in Red / White Red, both are phoenix clubs, both have risen rapidly from division 5 back to liga 1 (Polish Championship) after bankruptcy.

The first derby is due on Sept 16th but they've asked for a postponement until crowds are allowed in.

LKS stadium is around 1/2 mile from my house, Widzew is around 3 or 4 miles away.

My local crew are split 50:50 & it's a spicy typical in city rivalry.

I haven't had to make a choice for 52 years .....

Always support your local team. LKS!

There any other points of difference between the two clubs or sets of fans? Class, religion, politics, etc.?

I’d personally probably end up watching both for an easy life and see what happens, although walking distance (I assume) to the one club is a bonus.

International

As a (now) neural wouldn't you tend towards the under-dog? Which ever that may be?

Just choose Man Utd like alot of the poles over her have

If you don't pick a team you will have the option to attend a football match every weekend, and have twice as many friends.

Don’t upset any of the local crew by supporting their local rivals, go for Stomil Olsztyn and try to get Erwin Sak to do the ayatollah.

Give it time. You might find the two clubs are poles apart.

Thanks for all of the advice, good, bad, indifferent and ironic

I find it impossible to watch a match, live or on TV, as a neutral. I have to side with one team or another, same with most sports to be honest, MotoGP or any for of Motorcycle racing is the only exception, when I want everyone to succeed.

I went to watch Stoke v the Jacks one night, that was difficult, especially when the Jacks won 2-0 to avoid relegation.

I'll let time decide where my affinity goes with LKS v Widzew, let's see who takes to the Ayatollah

Thanks for all of the advice, good, bad, indifferent and ironic

I find it impossible to watch a match, live or on TV, as a neutral. I have to side with one team or another, same with most sports to be honest, MotoGP or any for of Motorcycle racing is the only exception, when I want everyone to succeed.

I went to watch Stoke v the Jacks one night, that was difficult, especially when the Jacks won 2-0 to avoid relegation.

I'll let time decide where my affinity goes with LKS v Widzew, let's see who takes to the Ayatollah
    You can always act as a missionary for the City and spread the gospel of the Mighty Bluebirds. You could even start a local Supporters Club and run regular trips over here to watch games.

I tried something similar when I moved to the Midlands over 40 years ago. I have had some moderate success and now number 2 or 3 converts but I think at least won of them thinks that when I refer to CCFC that I am referring to a more local team. Have also tried it in France but with less success!

The Widzew fans look mad, I'd go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    The Widzew fans look mad, I'd go with them.
    Widzew average around 17k for a game, whereas LKS were limited to 5k but they they'll have 4 stands instead of 1, so might get closer to Widzew.

They've had 39 managers since 2000, stable employment

LKS by comparison have only had 31 managers during the same time

Widzew have beaten decent European opposition over the years, both Manc teams, Liverpool, Juve, BorussiaMG and have been Champions League S/F

LKS have only ever won 3 European games, exiting their only CL campaign to Manure 0-2 over two legs.

Widzew average around 17k for a game, whereas LKS were limited to 5k but they they'll have 4 stands instead of 1, so might get closer to Widzew.

They've had 39 managers since 2000, stable employment

LKS by comparison have only had 31 managers during the same time

Widzew have beaten decent European opposition over the years, both Manc teams, Liverpool, Juve, BorussiaMG and have been Champions League S/F

LKS have only ever won 3 European games, exiting their only CL campaign to Manure 0-2 over two legs.
    You'll have to give us some tales of your move over there and adopting one (or both) of these teams, i'm intrigued!

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    You'll have to give us some tales of your move over there and adopting one (or both) of these teams, i'm intrigued!
    Will do. I move out full time at the start of November, theoretically until the end of 2022 but it depends on how quick everything gets up to speed & quality, the automotive industry & qualification is never quick. The in stadium entertainment will be subject to the Virus, I think they have partial crowds at the moment.

Thinly veiled I'm moving to to Poland for up to 3 years as I start up production in our new post Brexit EU facility post IMO