+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Smell of smoke after getting covid in march

Smell of smoke after getting covid in march

I've had this constant smell of cigarette smoke when I breath in all day every day since I had covid back in March.
    Thought I was going crackers but I've spoken to a doctor who I picked up in my taxi who said that she had also lost all sense of smell herself, and she said that she worked on the covid unit up at Llandough hospital and could smell rotten gone off meat constantly when she breathed in. Apparently it is a symptom that is now being linked to having covid. She also said that a few other patients had reported the smell of smoke just like I am.
    I'll be watching the TV and someone is smoking on TV and its like I have a magic television. Its getting me down a bit

Re: Smell of smoke after getting covid in march

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I've had this constant smell of cigarette smoke when I breath in all day every day since I had covid back in March.
    Thought I was going crackers but I've spoken to a doctor who I picked up in my taxi who said that she had also lost all sense of smell herself, and she said that she worked on the covid unit up at Llandough hospital and could smell rotten gone off meat constantly when she breathed in. Apparently it is a symptom that is now being linked to having covid. She also said that a few other patients had reported the smell of smoke just like I am.
    I'll be watching the TV and someone is smoking on TV and its like I have a magic television. Its getting me down a bit
    I'd be surprised if I've had Covid, but my sense of smell has not been right for nearly three months now, I can still sometimes smell things, but not for more than a second or two - with me the smell that is always there is difficult to put a finger on, it's quite sweet, but chemical like, not that pleasant really.

Apart from a cough, which can be wet or dry, that I've had for ten years and more, I've not had anything which could be described as Covid like except for my sense of taste being affected at the same time as my ability to smell things deserted me, but, thankfully, that's come back int the last fortnight or so.

Thanks for posting that, it mentions the exact smell you and the Doctor have experienced doesn't it. The smell which has lingered with me could be called burning I suppose, but I'd have real trouble trying to pin down what it was if asked by a doctor.

To be honest, it would be no great hardship if my sense of smell stayed like this for the rest of my life, but I'm really pleased my sense of taste is back to normal - what I had was not that severe, but I can certainly sympathise with the woman in the article, not being able to taste things properly was harder to take than the problem with my sense of smell.

Looking at the contents of my wardrobe it seems that my sense of taste deserted me a long time ago.

In March, just as we were starting lock-down, my girlfriend lost her smell and taste then a week later mine went too.

Was such a strange experience as I had no other symptoms of Covid-19. It lasted for about a week and was actually quite depressing,as with being stuck in the house the only thing to look forward to in the day was making something nice for dinner.

When you can't taste your food or drink it becomes quite a chore, remember having a curry and could only feel the sensation of the chillies burning. Had a massive loss of appetite.

Luckily I have had no side affects since but the Mrs has found that certain foods leave a strange aftertaste, some smokey.

Be interesting to see what all the lasting affects this Coronavirus leaves are, once the pandemic dies down.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd be surprised if I've had Covid, but my sense of smell has not been right for nearly three months now, I can still sometimes smell things, but not for more than a second or two - with me the smell that is always there is difficult to put a finger on, it's quite sweet, but chemical like, not that pleasant really.

Apart from a cough, which can be wet or dry, that I've had for ten years and more, I've not had anything which could be described as Covid like except for my sense of taste being affected at the same time as my ability to smell things deserted me, but, thankfully, that's come back int the last fortnight or so.
    If you have had a cough for 10 years you need to get it sorted as that is not normal.. A friend of mine had a cough for a very long time and was regularly fobbed off by his GP. At the insistence of his friends he was persuaded to insist to his GP that he is given a hospital referral. Just as well as it turned out to be very good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    If you have had a cough for 10 years you need to get it sorted as that is not normal.. A friend of mine had a cough for a very long time and was regularly fobbed off by his GP. At the insistence of his friends he was persuaded to insist to his GP that he is given a hospital referral. Just as well as it turned out to be very good advice.
    It started when I was put on medication I've been taking ever since, it's a common side effect for it apparently.

Loss of smell/taste is one of the major symptoms of Covid.

In fact its probably the major one.

There was a piece about it on Jeremy Vine's radio 2 show earlier. I'm not sure what was said as I was trying to get some kip. Something about meat being cooked and it smelled of petrol.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    There was a piece about it on Jeremy Vine's radio 2 show earlier. I'm not sure what was said as I was trying to get some kip. Something about meat being cooked and it smelled of petrol.
    B-B-Q

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    B-B-Q

God that sounds shit, hope it doesn't last too long mate