+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signings so far..

Signings so far..

Very happy with the two brought in in what we know have been problem areas for us.

An attacking right back and a proven striker at this level are very welcome.

However, surely now the central midfield is a priority. Too many similarly paced players in there. Apart from Tomlin there's not much creativity or flair. I would be happy to see Pack shipped out, he's a very expensive and unnecessary midfield player.

So often last season we were static and couldn't change games unless Tomlin was fit and on form. We can't solely rely on him this season, so it would be nice to see some energy and drive in there.

I'd also say that despite the high number of wingers at the club - they are all a bit similar and inconsistent. It would be good to add some raw youthful pace to bench at least.

Thoughts?

Re: Signings so far..

I assume we’re waiting to offload first

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Very happy with the two brought in in what we know have been problem areas for us.

An attacking right back and a proven striker at this level are very welcome.

However, surely now the central midfield is a priority. Too many similarly paced players in there. Apart from Tomlin there's not much creativity or flair. I would be happy to see Pack shipped out, he's a very expensive and unnecessary midfield player.

So often last season we were static and couldn't change games unless Tomlin was fit and on form. We can't solely rely on him this season, so it would be nice to see some energy and drive in there.

I'd also say that despite the high number of wingers at the club - they are all a bit similar and inconsistent. It would be good to add some raw youthful pace to bench at least.

Thoughts?
    Yeah I think a flair player to cover Tomlin should be looked at. Harris talks about Ralls in that 10 role as well but even though he has a goal in him isnt a flair player far more suited to the engine room or operating as box to box.

I reckon we could go with what weve got but ideally id like better back up for Moore , Tomlin cover and a back up right back.

We probably need to ship players out first.

Now weve got our right back I wouldnt be totally against giving Gunter a year.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I assume we’re waiting to offload first
    Yeah I dont see any more in unless we get some out.

Give Mark Harris a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yeah I think a flair player to cover Tomlin should be looked at. Harris talks about Ralls in that 10 role as well but even though he has a goal in him isnt a flair player far more suited to the engine room or operating as box to box.

I reckon we could go with what weve got but ideally id like better back up for Moore , Tomlin cover and a back up right back.

Agreed. Last season Ralls' finishing and scoring stats were more than decent, but he hasn't the imagination, vision or flair to be a no. 10.

I'd also have Gunter if he was cheap enough

Cauley Woodrow would be my pick to offer that option. Can play either up front or as an attacking midfielder and formed a good partnership with Moore during Barnsley's League One promotion season. He bagged 16 goals last season for arguably a poor Barnsley team, has to be worth a look.

Another RB is a must for me.If the kid gets injured it means Baccuna has to fill in and that in turn lessens the effectiveness of our midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Cauley Woodrow would be my pick to offer that option. Can play either up front or as an attacking midfielder and formed a good partnership with Moore during Barnsley's League One promotion season. He bagged 16 goals last season for arguably a poor Barnsley team, has to be worth a look.
    I've been saying this for a couple of months now, it's so obvious & natural it screams at you. He ticks every box, #10, striker, midfielder, goalscorer, flair player, 19 goals each as a pair two seasons ago. £2m~£2.5m should get him.

I also see that Wigan still owed Barnsley 60% of Moore's transfer fee, so we've basically paid Barnsley for him, so lets go get his partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I've been saying this for a couple of months now, it's so obvious & natural it screams at you. He ticks every box, #10, striker, midfielder, goalscorer, flair player, 19 goals each as a pair two seasons ago. £2m~£2.5m should get him.

I also see that Wigan still owed Barnsley 60% of Moore's transfer fee, so we've basically paid Barnsley for him, so lets go get his partner.
    and at 2 - 3 Mill its a fairly low cost risk

ticks every box

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Sorry to put a dampener on it but cannot see City investing in him, unfortunately.

Our problem area is midfield but close behind is the need for a left back, Bennett cannot defend and when he goes forward he can't cross a ball

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Our problem area is midfield but close behind is the need for a left back, Bennett cannot defend and when he goes forward he can't cross a ball
    Bennett is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Sorry to put a dampener on it but cannot see City investing in him, unfortunately.
    Unfortunately I agree but I hope I'm wrong because it's so blindingly obvious. It's our problem area (only due to Tomlins fitness concerns), he's already built a relationship with KM & fits a 4-2-3-1 perfectly. It's not a break the bank deal either.

Bennett is one of the best left backs in the Championship. Was one of the better players for us in the Prem as well last year.

Agree with virtually everything being said

It plain to see where we need strengthening

We need an attacking midfielder/no 10 and cover at right and left back. Also, although we have good players out wide they need to be more consistent rather than be replaced

Unlike some I am happy with the central midfielders, although if we could replace Pack with Ampadu on a years loan that would be the icing on the cake

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Give Mark Harris a go.
    It will be interesting to see how far Neil Harris and Steve Morison are able and willing to bring through our own youth players - in addition to getting Premier League young players on loan like Sanderson or Osei-Tutu.

So far this summer Harris has talked up Mark Harris (as a No 10), Ciaron Brown (as a CB - on loan at Livingston until January), Tom Sang and Tavio D'Almeira (both No 6?) as well as Joel Bagan (LB back on loan to Notts County?)

Then there are George Ratcliffe (GK - back from loan?), James Waite (a No 10 or 8?), Kieron Evans (is he a No 8?) and Taz Mayembe (wing) all around the first team squad.

If one or two of that lot are regulars in the match-day squad by the end of the season it will be real progress. I would rather see us grow our own (and accept that they will make some mistakes) than fill the squad with imports - unless they are real quality.

We are supposed to be interested in Sam Field from West Brom - 22 year old midfielder talked up by Tony Pulis 4 years ago!

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/2...led-fantastic/

I see we've now also been linked with Matej Vydra for a small fee (cough £5m)! Woodrow is younger, cheaper & scores more goals!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We are supposed to be interested in Sam Field from West Brom - 22 year old midfielder talked up by Tony Pulis 4 years ago!

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/2...led-fantastic/
    My mate runs an age group at WBA's academy, he's normally a good supply of info. for me, he's said nowt on this one, I call him later to see if he knows anything.

You're right. Caught out of position far too often, backs off and backs off.

What about Cunningham?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

I don't think we should sign any players over 30. Not now anyway. In the new year if we're pushing for promotion I wouldn't be averse to it. But I'd prefer the club to be thinking long term overall.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    What about Cunningham?
    yes he is decent defender

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think we should sign any players over 30. Not now anyway. In the new year if we're pushing for promotion I wouldn't be averse to it. But I'd prefer the club to be thinking long term overall.
    Yeah, Messi’s too old, isn’t he!