+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signings so far..

Re: Signings so far..

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    What about Cunningham?
    Exactly. Quality at this level. At least he was last time I saw him play.

Yeah, Messi’s too old, isn’t he!
    Very clever. I knew there would be some idiot that would bring up Messi. Or Bale. We shouldn't be signing realistic targets that are over 30. In my opinion. Our squad is old. We need 3 or 4 good players in their mid-20s.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Very clever. I knew there would be some idiot that would bring up Messi. Or Bale. We shouldn't be signing realistic targets that are over 30. In my opinion. Our squad is old. We need 3 or 4 good players in their mid-20s.
    yes - players who maintain their output into their 30s are really the exception rather than the rule, and time catches up ith everyone sooner or later.
    Anyone over 30 you sign isn't going to have any resale value to speak of even if they do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Our problem area is midfield but close behind is the need for a left back, Bennett cannot defend and when he goes forward he can't cross a ball
    We have Bennett and Cunningham on good wages, would be madness to add a 3rd.

I don't really see midfield as an issue either, ideally move Pack on and get someone in but easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post

I don't really see midfield as an issue either, ideally move Pack on and get someone in but easier said than done.
    I do. We have no-one with any drive in centre midfield, no-one who can make telling passes (except Tomlin), no-one who is comfortable in possession and keeping the ball, and only Ralls is capable of getting into the box regularly. In addition, they're all a bit tackle shy and can allow too much pressure on the back 4.

Go back over 10 years when we had McPhail and Scimeca. We don't currently have a passer anywhere near McPhail's ability or a box to box midfielder with Scimeca's energy (ironic that he was in his 30s when he joined us). The game has changed since then, of course, but we have an unspectacular midfield that isn't great at either end of the park and is shite at controlling a game in the middle.

I think a playmaker is actually the most important signing left to make, though not necessarily the only one. Only then can we expect the strikers to start scoring regularly.

I think a playmaker is actually the most important signing left to make, though not necessarily the only one. Only then can we expect the strikers to start scoring regularly.
    If we're going to have a more possession based game with strikers who might actually like to get on the end of through balls, not high balls, I think you've got one hell of a point. It would add one huge facet to our game. We haven't got a midfielder capable of this at Championship level.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I do. We have no-one with any drive in centre midfield, no-one who can make telling passes (except Tomlin), no-one who is comfortable in possession and keeping the ball, and only Ralls is capable of getting into the box regularly. In addition, they're all a bit tackle shy and can allow too much pressure on the back 4.

Go back over 10 years when we had McPhail and Scimeca. We don't currently have a passer anywhere near McPhail's ability or a box to box midfielder with Scimeca's energy (ironic that he was in his 30s when he joined us). The game has changed since then, of course, but we have an unspectacular midfield that isn't great at either end of the park and is shite at controlling a game in the middle.
    Well said, summed it up perfectly (regarding our midfield).

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We are supposed to be interested in Sam Field from West Brom - 22 year old midfielder talked up by Tony Pulis 4 years ago!

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/2...led-fantastic/
    I remember being impressed by him three seasons ago I think it was, but he struggled for game time in a Charlton side on its way to relegation last season - all depends on how much he'd cost as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I remember being impressed by him three seasons ago I think it was, but he struggled for game time in a Charlton side on its way to relegation last season - all depends on how much he'd cost as far as I'm concerned.
    I was also impressed with him a few years back, but he hasn't really kicked on and he is also a but slow. While I like our midfield players as individuals, they are too similar to form a championship challenging unit.

Ralls, Bacuna, Pack and Vaulks... I mean, decent players, but one paced and limited technical ability and drive. Reality is we should lose two of those and bring in two other different players.... More mobile and attacking minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My mate runs an age group at WBA's academy, he's normally a good supply of info. for me, he's said nowt on this one, I call him later to see if he knows anything.
    This is the response I got. Covid means the various groups are training separately, so zero news on whose involved, other than he's looking to move on.

He said of the player: Solid young midfielder. More of a no nonsense midfielder engine room kind of player. More of a defensive player and can also play centre half. I rate him. Thought he deserved more if a chance but was never going to budge Livermore or Sawyer's out the midfield.

Do you want big Ken back too? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I was also impressed with him a few years back, but he hasn't really kicked on and he is also a but slow. While I like our midfield players as individuals, they are too similar to form a championship challenging unit.

Ralls, Bacuna, Pack and Vaulks... I mean, decent players, but one paced and limited technical ability and drive. Reality is we should lose two of those and bring in two other different players.... More mobile and attacking minded.
    Bacuna, Ralls, and Vaulks have their limitations, but I wouldn't say that a lack of drive/mobility was one of them.

What about Cunningham?
    Yes, over Bennett.

I have this theory that Harris is going to play Tutu as a right winger.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Bacuna, Ralls, and Vaulks have their limitations, but I wouldn't say that a lack of drive/mobility was one of them.
    Perhaps he means with the ball at their feet, pushing forward? I might be wrong though...

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Perhaps. A bit one paced and similar though aren't they.

Not a trio I would like to see starting in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Perhaps. A bit one paced and similar though aren't they.

Not a trio I would like to see starting in midfield.
    I like Vaulks and on his day Bacuna can have a real influence. However, as you said, they are all a bit one-paced.