+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Did the Welsh league for one season change the off-side rule ? ? ?

Did the Welsh league for one season change the off-side rule ? ? ?

Im in the process of teaching my girls team the Off-side rule for preparation for the forthcoming season

I was chatting to my fellow coach and i said one of the leagues tried " no offside if the ball is played from your own 1/2 " he had never head of it, so i guessed it was a welsh league

did it happen ? ? or was i dreaming ? ? ?

must have been 20 years ago ? ? ? did it actually happen, i know they were talking about it

Re: Did the Welsh league for one season change the off-side rule ? ? ?

There was an experiment in the early 90s. Was definitely in the Welsh Cup when we were in it cos I remember Paul Ramsey taking advantage of the confusion and setting up a chance/goal.

There was a season, I think it was the South Wales senior league, where a player could not be offside if the ball was played to him from a teammate who was in his own half.

Nightmare for defenders if they tried playing a high line as if you were savvy, you would receive the ball in the opposition half, play it back to the midfielder and then on your bike for the through ball.

No surprise to hear it didn't last more than a season though it would be good to have some stats from it. My guess it was high on goals scored.

cheers guys, i thought i hadnt dreamt it