+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remember when we were a small club ?

Re: Remember when we were a small club ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/cardif...ung/verein/603

Doesn't tell the full story, but the average attendances there seem to support that, we even endured a couple of seasons of Russel Slade without dropping below 15k average.
    also shows how much we came on as a club in the Jones/Ridsdale era.
    I take it the average for 19/20 is so low because they're including all of the behind closed doors games and dividing by 23?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can someone give me an example of City's "notoriously fickle" support since we moved into Cardiff City Stadium? In fact, I'll extend that to 2003 - seems to me that you have to go back to the twentieth century for the sort of behaviour City fans, deservedly, got that reputation for.
    http://european-football-statistics....eague/carc.htm

Theres quite a big drop from Malkys season in the Premier League to the Russel Slade seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I take it the average for 19/20 is so low because they're including all of the behind closed doors games and dividing by 23?
    Ah yeah that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Theres quite a big drop from Malkys season in the Premier League to the Russel Slade seasons.
    Yes, it is a fair old drop, but the first season post relegation was awful in terms of entertainment and style of play and I'd say people were put off by the signal the Slade appointment sent out. For long stretches of this season it felt like 14/15 again and I think we would have seen a significant drop in season ticket sales if they'd gone on sale at the usual time in a non Covid world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

if you look at decades, our best 4 have clearly been 20s, 50s, 2000- 2010 and 2010-2020
    The worst by far the 80s and 90s

Which of course follows the clubs success quite closely.

If we spent a few seasons in the bottom leagues I think our attendances would be a little more resiliant than in the past, as we have 2 decades of relative success *in a row*, but they would still drop more than someone who has been at the top for most of the time like newcastle etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if you look at decades, our best 4 have clearly been 20s, 50s, 2000- 2010 and 2010-2020
    The worst by far the 80s and 90s

Which of course follows the clubs success quite closely.

If we spent a few seasons in the bottom leagues I think our attendances would be a little more resiliant than in the past, as we have 2 decades of relative success *in a row*, but they would still drop more than someone who has been at the top for most of the time like newcastle etc.
    We're not the only club like it. Wolves had nearly 26k in 1980 when they finished 6th in 1980. When they were relegated to the 4th division 6 seasons later their average attendance dropped by almost 22k to 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We're not the only club like it. Wolves had nearly 26k in 1980 when they finished 6th in 1980. When they were relegated to the 4th division 6 seasons later their average attendance dropped by almost 22k to 4k.
    Wolves down to 4K, I don’t recall that? When we both w3nt up in 1988 they had about 12000 at theirs

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wolves down to 4K, I don’t recall that? When we both w3nt up in 1988 they had about 12000 at theirs
    http://european-football-statistics....eague/wolw.htm

It had just over doubled by that 1987/88 promotion season. The attendance when we won 4-1 there was 10,077.

I think it's also worth noting how crowds slumped pretty much across the board in the 1980s as well.

grattnengavg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post

1986 and 87.

That’s surprised me too.

It had just over doubled by that 1987/88 promotion season. The attendance when we won 4-1 there was 10,077.

I think it's also worth noting how crowds slumped pretty much across the board in the 1980s as well.

grattnengavg.jpg
    Think I went there the year after we both went up, they went up again I think with Steve bull etc, sure they had over 16000 so there crowds shot right back up. Only 2 stands open too.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Derby , Nottingham , Portsmouth , Burnley , towns and cities where the local football team is part of the culture

Its really sad that it isn't but it is what it is

Things could go either way , I hope sincerely that we get promoted and stay there but we are more likely to be a crystal palace or a burnley

Which isn't the end of the world but given the population catchment of the club it could be so much better
    Last time we were in Premier League our average attendance of 31500 was the 11th highest just below Leicester, above Wolves,Southampton,Brighton,and way above Palace,Burnley etc. If we were an established Premier League club we would average 40k and if a top 6 side 60k. We have the potential to be a really big club but we need to establish ourselves in the Premier League to achieve that standard!

People can choose their products if they want but in my opinion someone living in South wales and supporting Liverpool and United are arses
    It happens everywhere though. I see Man U and Liverpool apparel than Yeovil or Exeter City gear down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Last time we were in Premier League our average attendance of 31500 was the 11th highest just below Leicester, above Wolves,Southampton,Brighton,and way above Palace,Burnley etc. If we were an established Premier League club we would average 40k and if a top 6 side 60k. We have the potential to be a really big club but we need to establish ourselves in the Premier League to achieve that standard!
    even if we remain a championship or yo-yo club for another 10 years then I think we should see a gradual increase in support, as the new generations of fans coming through should more and more outweigh the "lost generation" of fans from the 80s and 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It happens everywhere though. I see Man U and Liverpool apparel than Yeovil or Exeter City gear down here.
    Yeovil and Exeter City are lower league clubs and probably always will be

They are also clubs with small populations

Cardiff is a big urban area with a large catchment area.

Since 2003 we have been a championship club , have been to the fa Cup final , the league Cup final and had two promotions to the top flight

Yet people in their thousands walk around like idiots in their Liverpool tops

Complete waste of space

Since 2003 we have been a championship club , have been to the fa Cup final , the league Cup final and had two promotions to the top flight

Complete waste of space
    it happens all over the country, i live in ipswich, certainly a more famous and successful side than us, guess what, for every town supporter/top you see you'll see more Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man U tops,

Complete waste of space
    You reckon people should just ditch their sides and support Cardiff?

You reckon people should just ditch their sides and support Cardiff?
    if they are South Wales based then either support County, bluebirds , Swansea or one of the Welsh league sides

If you live in South Wales and are from Liverpool or Manchester or Leeds or Exeter, fine

If you are not get behind south wales teams .......or **** off

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    it happens all over the country, i live in ipswich, certainly a more famous and successful side than us, guess what, for every town supporter/top you see you'll see more Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man U tops,
    South Wales is one of the worst areas in the country for plastics

You can sort of understand someone from Taunton or Gloucester being a big time Charlie but with cardifff and Swansea here there is no excuse

Swansea fans who travel from west Wales to watch the jacks , football fans

Some idiot from pontypridd walking round in a Liverpool top ? Complete arse

I can remember dreaming about "getting back where we belong" (old Division 2) and thinking we could get crowds of 15,000.

South Wales is one of the worst areas in the country for plastics
    How on earth can you possibly know that? Bus loads? Maybe they just can't get the train because the train system is ****ing terrible. You love to talk in the biggest sweeping generalisations about every place in the UK as if you're some sort of CCMB UK Culture ambassador?

Plastics exist everywhere.

You're bleeting on about every team under the sun having better support but the facts are a lot of clubs even if it was 50 years ago have won a trophy to generate even that extra 5-10% support. IF we had won the FA Cup or League Cup, our attendances would've gone up and probably retained some of them in the rush for european tickets.

Sludge mate, we rightly or wrongly play second fiddle to another sport which a lot of these cities just simply do not. We also have to accept that we have an awful history, so anyone who is not automatically a Cardiff fan, would probably not be that inclined to come down and check us out as they'd hear about the negative things that used to surround the club - despite the club doing a fantastic job of improving the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    How on earth can you possibly know that? Bus loads? Maybe they just can't get the train because the train system is ****ing terrible. You love to talk in the biggest sweeping generalisations about every place in the UK as if you're some sort of CCMB UK Culture ambassador?

You're bleeting on about every team under the sun having better support but the facts are a lot of clubs even if it was 50 years ago have won a trophy to generate even that extra 5-10% support. IF we had won the FA Cup or League Cup, our attendances would've gone up and probably retained some of them in the rush for european tickets.

Sludge mate, we rightly or wrongly play second fiddle to another sport which a lot of these cities just simply do not. We also have to accept that we have an awful history, so anyone who is not automatically a Cardiff fan, would probably not be that inclined to come down and check us out as they'd hear about the negative things that used to surround the club - despite the club doing a fantastic job of improving the image.
    If cardiff blues , the ospreys etc were getting gates of 20000 on a regular basis your view that we play second fiddle to rugby might hold some water, but they don't

Support for the international rugby side is for 4 or 5 games a season

South Wales sports fans are big occasion supporters and within that are loads of premiership football fans

Who live on the doorstep of Cardiff city and don't bother

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post

There’s no point using logic with the guy he will just keep changing the argument and contradicting himself until the cows come home

Get more sense out of Dai Hunt.

If cardiff blues , the ospreys etc were getting gates of 20000 on a regular basis your view that we play second fiddle to rugby might hold some water, but they don't

Support for the international rugby side is for 4 or 5 games a season

South Wales sports fans are big occasion supporters and within that are loads of premiership football fans

Who live on the doorstep of Cardiff city and don't bother
    And just how is South Wales is different from many other parts of the UK?

Sheffield and Nottingham are very vibrant cities

And Sheffield has two football teams competing for the areas support
    There's feck all to do in Nottingham, especially compared to Cardiff

The only reason Forest maintain the crowds they have is their previous success, something we don't really have, the same goes for many clubs such as Derby and Wolves, with the obvious example being Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    There's feck all to do in Nottingham
    Quite right. That Robin Hood guy spent most of his time wandering around a forest chasing after a woman with a bow and arrow, the demented fool.