+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remember when we were a small club ?

Remember when we were a small club ?

An FA cup tie against Ispwich or QPR was seen as a big game

As a youngster I would enter the bob bank from the canton end to see how many these big clubs had brought

It was never very many and our lot would spend the afternoon praying for a draw so we could travel away and show em what away support was

4000 down to QPR on a Tuesday night

Now if we drew either in the FAcup we would probably take 500

Don't know if that's the decline of the FA Cup or that now we are an established second tier side we have bigger fish to fry

Re: Remember when we were a small club ?

Do i remember? No because it was never the case. I dont remember anyone ever admitting we were small. I remember lots of chat about being a sleeping giant and that our proper place was at least tier 2, and if we could get back there wed easily get 40k home attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Do i remember? No because it was never the case. I dont remember anyone ever admitting we were small. I remember lots of chat about being a sleeping giant and that our proper place was at least tier 2, and if we could get back there wed easily get 40k home attendances.
    Even when we were a yo yo club between the old second and third divisions in the seventies and eighties we were poorly supported

Even Barnsley spent longer in the old division two than us

When we were relegated to the old fourth division we really were a small club , teams like Bristol City and Plymouth were a notch higher

It took us 17 years to get back into the second tier of English football

When we finally were promoted we got a crowd of 16000 in a ground that held 22 thousand

Thats not a sleeping giant

We are about the place we should be , if we get promoted we won't need a bigger ground

We are no longer a yo yo club in the basement but we are certainly never going to be a big club

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The 'delusions of grandeur' years.

I miss them. City fans talking on radio phone about the conspiracy of the Welsh media and the potential to be up there crowd wise with Man United and Liverpool.

I always thought they needed to lay off the LSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The 'delusions of grandeur' years.

I miss them. City fans talking on radio phone about the conspiracy of the Welsh media and the potential to be up there crowd wise with Man United and Liverpool.

I always thought they needed to lay off the LSD.
    The rugby media have always been a problem but a crap product and welsh idiots supporting English teams have done it for us

A mate of mines old man was born in Birmingham, big Birmingham City fan , by the time he was in his forties him and his son and daughter were cardiff sewson ticket holders

If he can move down here and bring up his kids to support cardiff , the locals supporting man united and bringing their kids up to support their team instead of cardiff are part of the problem and can naff off

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The rugby media have always been a problem but a crap product and welsh idiots supporting English teams have done it for us

A mate of mines old man was born in Birmingham, big Birmingham City fan , by the time he was in his forties him and his son and daughter were cardiff sewson ticket holders

If he can move down here and bring up his kids to support cardiff , the locals supporting man united and bringing their kids up to support their team instead of cardiff are part of the problem and can naff off
    Here you go again...

Its football, it's an industry. People choose their products as they wish to. Theres no law saying fans should support their local club.

Citys attendances the last ten years are higher average now than they were ever been in my lifetime. I'll say local interest and support for City has also improved greatly in comparison to the 80s and 90s.

Just not being in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the FAcup was a sign that we were no longer a small club.

Here you go again...

Its football, it's an industry. People choose their products as they wish to. Theres no law saying fans should support their local club.

Citys attendances the last ten years are higher average now than they were ever been in my lifetime. I'll say local interest and support for City has also improved greatly in comparison to the 80s and 90s.
    People can choose their products if they want but in my opinion someone living in South wales and supporting Liverpool and United are arses

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Just not being in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the FAcup was a sign that we were no longer a small club.
    Indeed , we were a medium sized club

People can choose their products if they want but in my opinion someone living in South wales and supporting Liverpool and United are arses
    I'm not sure why it winds you up so much?

It's always been this way. It's not just evident in South Wales, the big two have supporters/fans/plastics all over the UK. I'm not even sure it even affects Citys crowds at all?

I'm not sure why it winds you up so much?

It's always been this way. It's not just evident in South Wales, the big two have supporters/fans/plastics all over the UK. I'm not even sure it even affects Citys crowds at all?
    South wales is full of fake liverpool and man united fans , its one of the worst areas in the country for it

It of course affects our crowds , in a big way

There are coachloads of fans every Saturday afternoon leaving South wales to watch Liverpool, man united , arsenal , Chelsea etc

And thats not counting the fans that go by car and train

People just don't get behind cardiff city in South wales unless we reach a cup final or the premier league but they are happy to watch man united in the flesh or since the arrival of sky , in the pub or at home

You may not like that but its a fact

South wales is full of fake liverpool and man united fans , its one of the worst areas in the country for it

There are coachloads of fans every Saturday afternoon leaving South wales to watch Liverpool, man united , arsenal , Chelsea etc

People just don't get behind cardiff city in South wales unless we reach a cup final or the premier league but they are happy to watch man united in the flesh or since the arrival of sky , in the pub or at home

Actually no, you're facts are more of an observation or anecdote.

Citys average crowd 1991 was less than 3000.

Since 2010 they've consistently got more than 20000.

Those stats suggest the South Wales public are more behind City than they ever have been in my life time?

People can support who they want. You don’t support your local club.

An FA cup tie against Ispwich or QPR was seen as a big game

As a youngster I would enter the bob bank from the canton end to see how many these big clubs had brought

It was never very many and our lot would spend the afternoon praying for a draw so we could travel away and show em what away support was

4000 down to QPR on a Tuesday night

Now if we drew either in the FAcup we would probably take 500

Don't know if that's the decline of the FA Cup or that now we are an established second tier side we have bigger fish to fry
    I recall walking in to the BB like you when I started going properly 87/88.....always just the odd coach full unless it was wolves or Bolton back then. First time I remember thinking wow was Bristol Rovers who always brought a lot, more than city even. They weren’t playing in Bristol even at the time so always took a load away. We were a small club then, 2 or 3000, we could easily have gone bust in the 90’s.
    Sam Hammam gave us hope.

I see the early 90's as the time that showed we could be a bigger club, that 93 season was outstanding, great numbers home and away, Tricky really did give us a feeling we could be something, i must admit it was great being the big fish in the little pond around that time, i loved that era

I remember when we were rubbish, badly run and our name was poison in our own town. I wouldn't necessarily equate that with being small though.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    People can support who they want. You don’t support your local club.
    Well they can but if two people are at a party and one is from torquay and supports torquay and another one is from Cardiff and starts telling me he has no interest in cardiff city but goes up to old Trafford once a season I think what a complete cock and chat to the torquay fan , a proper football supporter

Thats the way it is as far as I am concerned

I live 15 miles from Cardiff City Stadium , I support my local football team

Actually no, you're facts are more of an observation or anecdote.

Citys average crowd 1991 was less than 3000.

Since 2010 they've consistently got more than 20000.

Those stats suggest the South Wales public are more behind City than they ever have been in my life time?
    Well thats because we are more successful but when we were last an established second division club our crowds were not as good as they should have been for a city and urban spread of our size

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I recall walking in to the BB like you when I started going properly 87/88.....always just the odd coach full unless it was wolves or Bolton back then. First time I remember thinking wow was Bristol Rovers who always brought a lot, more than city even. They weren’t playing in Bristol even at the time so always took a load away. We were a small club then, 2 or 3000, we could easily have gone bust in the 90’s.
    Sam Hammam gave us hope.
    rovers were always well supported

I remember a crowd in the league against Wrexham

Saturday afternoon

Thats not a sleeping giant , thats a fecking corpse

Rick Wright was the first to kick this club up the arse and hammam certainly pulled us up but people forget that under him crowds were still disappointing in the championship

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I remember when we were rubbish, badly run and our name was poison in our own town. I wouldn't necessarily equate that with being small though.
    well big or medium sized clubs tend to get big or medium sized gates

For large parts of our history we have had neither

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I see the early 90's as the time that showed we could be a bigger club, that 93 season was outstanding, great numbers home and away, Tricky really did give us a feeling we could be something, i must admit it was great being the big fish in the little pond around that time, i loved that era
    me too , great days

That win over man city

Big gates in the lower leagues

But in no time blakey was sold and we tumbled back down

Well thats because we are more successful but when we were last an established second division club our crowds were not as good as they should have been for a city and urban spread of our size
    I dare say, that’s probably right now, even though crowds have risen.

What, out of interest do you expect City’s crowd attendance to be in relation to the population of South Wales?

I dare say, that’s probably right now, even though crowds have risen.

What, out of interest do you expect City’s crowd attendance to be in relation to the population of South Wales?
    We should be in the top three best supported clubs in the league

A bit of perspective might be needed here.

This season is our 20th anniversary of our last promotion from the bottom division. This season will be our 18th consecutively inside the top 2 divisions. Only 17 other clubs can boast that during the same period.

We spent 18 seasons outside of the 2nd tier between 1985 and 2003, 10 of those in the dungeon. Prior to that, we had spent 47 of our 59 seasons inside the top division. The 1930s were a bit of a dark time for the club following a very successful 1920s, and between 1947 and 1985, we spent 2 of 38 seasons outside of the top 2 divisions.

We've played 94 league seasons. Half have been at our current level. We have spent twice as long inside the top 2 divisions as we have outside it.

Since the 2006/07 season, we have not finished lower than 12 in the Championship. We've been in the top 32 clubs in the league for 13 years. I would argue that's where we belong. If anything I reckon we should be a Premier League side.

I'm not being dismissive of the 2 decades struggling around the bottom division. For some that is when their love of the club started. It's where mine started. It's hardly representative of Cardiff City's history though it's an important part.

We should be in the top three best supported clubs in the league