+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T boundary advice

O/T boundary advice

My neighbour is being an arsehole.
    The fence between us has blown down onto his side.
    It was intalled by the previous owner of his house.
    He refuses to acknowlege that he is responsible for that fence.

A bit of plot layout, and what I believe is the situation--
    House 1 is alongside a pathway, so H1 obviously has to maintain the fence that side between H1 and pathway
    House 2 is me, I have the fence between H1 and H2
    H3 is my arsehole neighbour, so he should be responsible for the fence between him and me.

He4 is now breaking up the fence as he doesn't like it leaning his way - and dumping the wood on MY side.

I'll be contacting my mortgage lender on Tuesday (damned bank holiday)- hopefully they should be able to supply a copy of the plot showing resonsibility.

Anyone got a better idea how to proceed?

Re: O/T boundary advice

You could have a look on the HM land registry site and download the boundary info for your house, from memory it costs around £10

While house deeds will show the boundary they won't necessarily show who is responsible for maintaining the boundary. Normally neighbours agree to share the cost. Just because a fence was installed by a previous owner of your next door property doesn't mean he/she is responsible for maintaining it.

The Deeds may well show who is responsible for any boundary fence - mine certainly do.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    You could have a look on the HM land registry site and download the boundary info for your house, from memory it costs around £10
    £3 online after registering for free. Land Registry will show the boundaries of a property but not necessarily who is legally responsible for maintaining a fence. Our deeds show we are responsible for the rear fence. Traditionally, a property owner is responsible for the fence to the left of a property as you face the house. There has been more of a push to have boundary upkeep legally agreed between property owners as it is something of a grey area. Any reasonable owner would go halves on a new fence, if there is any doubt, as both properties benefit from a well secured boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    £3 online after registering for free. Land Registry will show the boundaries of a property but not necessarily who is legally responsible for maintaining a fence. Our deeds show we are responsible for the rear fence. Traditionally, a property owner is responsible for the fence to the left of a property as you face the house. There has been more of a push to have boundary upkeep legally agreed between property owners as it is something of a grey area. Any reasonable owner would go halves on a new fence, if there is any doubt, as both properties benefit from a well secured boundary.
    Use this one, not scam sites:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...egistry-portal

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My neighbour is being an arsehole.
    The fence between us has blown down onto his side.
    It was intalled by the previous owner of his house.
    He refuses to acknowlege that he is responsible for that fence.

A bit of plot layout, and what I believe is the situation--
    House 1 is alongside a pathway, so H1 obviously has to maintain the fence that side between H1 and pathway
    House 2 is me, I have the fence between H1 and H2
    H3 is my arsehole neighbour, so he should be responsible for the fence between him and me.

He4 is now breaking up the fence as he doesn't like it leaning his way - and dumping the wood on MY side.

I'll be contacting my mortgage lender on Tuesday (damned bank holiday)- hopefully they should be able to supply a copy of the plot showing resonsibility.

Anyone got a better idea how to proceed?
    If he's breaking up the fence, ask him if that is his acceptance of the fence being his, otherwise tell him he's damaging your property.

Land registry is likely to be a waste of time. Deeds might not show anything. Ultimately it may come down to an amicable discussion with your neighbour, if such a thing is possible. The law more or less says "on yer own, pal". I've just had boundary issues myself with next door and it's horrible.

Basically if you are living next door to an arsehole , you are a ****

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If he's breaking up the fence, ask him if that is his acceptance of the fence being his, otherwise tell him he's damaging your property.

Land registry is likely to be a waste of time. Deeds might not show anything. Ultimately it may come down to an amicable discussion with your neighbour, if such a thing is possible. The law more or less says "on yer own, pal". I've just had boundary issues myself with next door and it's horrible.
    This! By breaking up the fence he has accepted its his property, if not he is damaging your property, he cant have it with ways. Neighbour disputes rarely end well and only people that benefit are the lawyers. If you dint have young kids or a dog that you need to keep in garden id be tempted to sit it out rather than get into a heated argument.

When fence between me and my problem neighbour was n danger of falling down i went and offered to do all the work to replace to myself if he contributed half the cost of materials. he gave me a sob story about not being able to afford it, and so it didnt get replaced. When dance eventually fell down I was in no rush to replace it, he had a dog which he then had to keep in the house all day so pressure was on him to get repairs done, i waited for a knock n the door asking for a contribution, but it never came. Then i went on holiday for 2 weeks and came back to a beautiful new fence! I was so pleased i didn't even bring up the issue that his tradesmen must have entered my garden without permission to complete the job!

In the USA you buy a gun and then discuss

Our deeds show who's responsible for each wall/ fence., too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul0453 View Post
    Mine do as well, which happens to be all 6. The responsible side is marked with a T inward facing. This is my 5th house & the only one where it isn't just the Left Hand boundary, I put that down to it being the last house built on the estate & being a corner property.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul0453 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't get my deeds until next year when I pay the final mortgage installment.
    I should be able to get a copy of the relevant part from my lender shirley?

I should point out that this guy is not known for being reasonable.
    He's muslim, has several wives, several sons of different ages, some of whom have been in nick for drugs - but the dad is the one who has the weed, gets his sons to take the fall .
    He's also complainted to me about my fog crapping on his garden, and carried on complaining/arguing when I pointed out that I don't have a dog!

Unfortunately I don't get my deeds until next year when I pay the final mortgage installment.

He's muslim, has several wives, several sons of different ages, some of whom have been in nick for drugs - but the dad is the one who has the weed, gets his sons to take the fall .
    He's also complainted to me about my fog crapping on his garden, and carried on complaining/arguing when I pointed out that I don't have a dog!
    Your mortgage lender doesn't hve your deeds the Land Registry do. Paper deeds have been scanned in & you don't get them back anymore, they retain them. Follow the link shared by IanD above. You can get a copy of his deeds as well.

What relevance is any of that? And if it is true shouldn't you report him to the police? Polygamy is a crime isn't it?

Jesus, feck the fence I'd move!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    Jesus, feck the fence I'd move!
    Then there's the paperwork to fill in before the sale, part of which refers to property boundaries and disputes with neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Then there's the paperwork to fill in before the sale, part of which refers to property boundaries and disputes with neighbours.
    True but he sounds a right charmer!

Patch up the fence then move!