+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chris Gunter

Chris Gunter

Can still turn in good performances. Hope he does for Wales in the matches ahead.
    Would he provide good cover for us?

Re: Chris Gunter

Yes absolutely he would

I’ve said it a few times on here, he would be a perfect signing for us. Plenty of experience and would provide good knowledge for the new right back we signed. Free transfer , knows the area.

Gunter has been poor for Wales for a while, I've not seen enough of him for Reading. I think it depends on wages, we have Bacuna, Patterson and Nelson to a certain extent who can cover those positions without adding extra funds.

If players are coming in I'd rather they were improving the team

Gunter? God no!

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Gunter has been poor for Wales for a while, I've not seen enough of him for Reading. I think it depends on wages, we have Bacuna, Patterson and Nelson to a certain extent who can cover those positions without adding extra funds.

Bacuna is so much better in midfield. We need him there. Not as good defensively as Gunter.

Paterson , god knows what position he is but he’s not a right back that’s for sure. No defensive awareness whatsoever.

Nelson could certainly do a defensive job there , but he’s one half of our first choice CB pairing and I wouldn’t want to lose him from there.

The new fella we signed is very good going forward by all accounts, but inexperienced. Signing an experienced player on a free transfer seems good business to me.

If Gunter’s wages were moderate, I think City should offer him a 12 month contract with an option to extend.

Not for me.

we desperately need some more youth in the side. Many of or players are the wrong side of 30 and will be starting to decline and pick up more injuries. Even if we could sign gunter on a 12 month deal thats a short term sticking plaster only, and next summer it'll be another position we have to fill in addition to the many others that are expiring next summer. We have to start thinking in the longer term.
    I suspect Gunter will be holding out for a 2 year deal, which would be an even bigger mistake for us as it'd be yet more wages tied up by ageing players that can't play the full season.

Als I'm not convinced he's still good enough - if it wasn't for his history with us or Wales there wouldn't be anyone clamouring to sign a player that was extremely average at Reading and they don't want to keep on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I’ve said it a few times on here, he would be a perfect signing for us. Plenty of experience and would provide good knowledge for the new right back we signed. Free transfer , knows the area.
    Knows the area.....🤦🤣

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Knows the area.....����
    think back to all those points dropped because signings got lost on their way to games, could be crucial by the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

Of the three players mentioned, Bacuna is the only one worth considering and that would be a backward step to take him out of midfield.

For Wales I think Roberts and now Neco Williams will be ahead of him. I;d have him at City though, as said above, on fair wages and a 1 or 2 year contract. he can play both sides too. Although we have Bennett and Cunningham on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    think back to all those points dropped because signings got lost on their way to games, could be crucial by the end of the season
    I think the point they're making is that he wouldn't be new to the area and have to spend time settling in

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think the point they're making is that he wouldn't be new to the area and have to spend time settling in
    Exactly. Amazes me when players sign from far flung corners of the globe and fans wonder why they not happy sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Can still turn in good performances. Hope he does for Wales in the matches ahead.
    Would he provide good cover for us?
    Yes free transfer and negotiate wages. We should let Paterson go to Boro for £2m and use the money to sign a creative midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Yes free transfer and negotiate wages. We should let Paterson go to Boro for £2m and use the money to sign a creative midfielder.
    That's a great idea.

Now I almost wish we'd hung on to Madine. We might have got something for him.