+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamo Tbilisi coming to Cardiff?

Dynamo Tbilisi coming to Cardiff?

Connah's Quay have been drawn at home to Dynamo Tbilisi in the next round of the Europa League qualifying.

Nomads played their Champions League qualifier against Sarajevo in Cardiff the other week (they lost so drop to EL) so assuming they play at CCS again this time it'll be like 1976 all over again.

Anyone remember that night?

Re: Dynamo Tbilisi coming to Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Connah's Quay have been drawn at home to Dynamo Tbilisi in the next round of the Europa League qualifying.

Nomads played their Champions League qualifier against Sarajevo in Cardiff the other week (they lost so drop to EL) so assuming they play at CCS again this time it'll be like 1976 all over again.

Yes, Alston winner , lost 2nd leg badly though

Connah Quay v Dynamo Tbilisi,
    Bala Town v Standard Liege
    B36 Torshavn v TNS

Decent draw for the Welsh Premier teams, big fish for Bala. Hopeful at least one can get through to the next round with it being only one leg.

For the first time the Welsh Premier League starts before they play a European game... I've always thought they should bring the league forward so the teams are at least match fit going into European competition.

its right and fair that clubs playing in the Welsh set up represent us in Europe and not the old days like us , Wrexham, Swansea, County or merthyr

We had some great nights

Why are Connahs Quay playing in Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Nomads....Play where they want I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I was there that night. Wasn't the away leg played in front of something like 100,000 fans, or have I got that completely wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I was there that night. Wasn't the away leg played in front of something like 100,000 fans, or have I got that completely wrong?
    No you're right. Some crazy stories about the travel to Georgia.

I'd say beating Tblisi was City's best result in Europe post Real Madrid. Dunno if it's right, but the site I just looked at said the two games were played five days apart.

The one thing I remember about that game was how fast the Tbilisi players were. They made us look like carthorses at times.

I may be mistaken but didn't the return leg in Tbilisi draw a crowd of 100,000 ?

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Clubs playing in Euro competitions must play at a stadium that complies with the current regulations re Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The second leg was 0-3 so not too bad. The crowd for our home leg was only 11,100.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    No just looked at that seems correct, it was the first game at their new stadium, 100000 people in attendance - must have been some sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No just looked at that seems correct, it was the first game at their new stadium, 100000 people in attendance - must have been some sight!

Imagine the moans now playing the 2nd leg so near the first game, its 2203 miles away , about 5 hours flying time in this modern age ??

Probably much slower back then with transfers, hotel set up etc

I always thought for some reason that we played in our all yellow kit at home when we played them but, not sure why but it was our fantastic blue with the yellow and white stripe shirt but away kit yellow shorts and socks.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd say beating Tblisi was City's best result in Europe post Real Madrid. Dunno if it's right, but the site I just looked at said the two games were played five days apart.
    I was at the game and as you say it was some result given the quality of the opposition. At that point I remember David Kipiani being one of the best players I had seen in the flesh. The site I saw had the games two weeks apart 15/29 September.

I went to the Dinamo Arena for the Georgia vs Wales World Cup qualifiers a couple of years ago. Think it's fair to say that even with the capacity now half of what it was when City played with seating, 40 years on it would not meet the definition of "state of the art".

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

The 1st leg was on 15 Sept 1976 in front of 11,181 and the second leg was 14 days later on 29 Sept , the crowd was 100,000, the largest crowd the City have ever played in front of.

I thought I'd misread the 9 in 29 for a 0 when I read about the correct dates, but it was someone on the 11v11 site that must have done that because I just had another look and it definitely says the matches were played on the 15th and 20th.

I attended this game, was on a ship somehere on the Thames, Purfleet maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Yes.
    Loved those games.
    Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The 1st leg was on 15 Sept 1976 in front of 11,181 and the second leg was 14 days later on 29 Sept , the crowd was 100,000, the largest crowd the City have ever played in front of.
    Yes I was at the home leg as well, I’m sure I have the programme in my big Cardiff city box in the loft. Being only 13 years old I wasn’t allowed to travel to Tbilisi

It was widely reported at the time that the crowd was 100,000 for the away leg. Wasn’t it also the furthest distance a European team had ever travelled for a game? Pretty sure that was reported at the time as well

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Yes I was at the home leg as well, I’m sure I have the programme in my big Cardiff city box in the loft. Being only 13 years old I wasn’t allowed to travel to Tbilisi

It was widely reported at the time that the crowd was 100,000 for the away leg. Wasn’t it also the furthest distance a European team had ever travelled for a game? Pretty sure that was reported at the time as well
    i was at NP that night. On my own, 10 years old

My mum picked me up after

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

No, Tashkent in Uzbekistan is much further east which is where we played Moscow Torpedo in 1968. That was the record at the time I think. What has happened since I don’t know

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    No, Tashkent in Uzbekistan is much further east which is where we played Moscow Torpedo in 1968. That was the record at the time I think. What has happened since I don’t know
    apparently benfica vs Astana

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    apparently benfica vs Astana
    Thanks for that. I looked it up on an “ as the crow flies “ website and iits 500 miles further. However I would imagine that it was more difficult to get to Tashkent in 1968 than Astana in 2015.