+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea Academy Downgraded

Swansea Academy Downgraded

So they’re looking to cut cost, although they should be using some of the cash from the sale of players brought through the academy to fund it.

This is now a perfect opportunity for Cardiff City to go for Category One, as we’ll find it much easier to attract the best talent and there are few in the Championship.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-what-18864092

Re: Swansea Academy Downgraded

I know I'm probably in the minority here but this is a shame, they've developed some great players for the national team through their academy

i am very sceptical of youth academies full stop in the UK . I don't think they are value for money with the figures being banded about the percentage of young players that actually make from it these are quite sobering small

The whole system needs a shake up as i,ve been saying for a long time .

https://www.businessinsider.com/mich...17-6?r=US&IR=T

Trouble is if you do develop a top class player these days, then one of the super rich clubs will just sign them for a pittance these days

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    i am very sceptical of youth academies full stop in the UK . I don't think they are value for money with the figures being banded about the percentage of young players that actually make from it these are quite sobering small

The whole system needs a shake up as i,ve been saying for a long time .

https://www.businessinsider.com/mich...17-6?r=US&IR=T
    I agree with this, I would much rather kids got to enjoy playing football locally and then when at a mature age got brought into clubs. For me something like a draft where sport is played for your school and then players can be drafted at 16. It would have to be a massive change but would like to see this instead of club football. Might also mean kids having to perform academically to get the chance to play.

I'd rather we went one further and just got rid of ours completely.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I agree with this, I would much rather kids got to enjoy playing football locally and then when at a mature age got brought into clubs. For me something like a draft where sport is played for your school and then players can be drafted at 16. It would have to be a massive change but would like to see this instead of club football. Might also mean kids having to perform academically to get the chance to play.
    It used to be 14 or 15 years of age, a young player would sign schoolboy forms, basically contracting themselves to the club until they were 16, where a decision would be made on whether or not they'd be given an apprenticeship until they were 18. I think that they could still play for their local club until they were 16, then join the professional environment, although i had to give up my local team at 14 and play for the youth team.

Picking players up at 9 has got to be a precarious situation, it must be a numbers game. I'm struggling to work out how a nine year old would be coached, based on brain development and physical development. How can a coach refine a nine year olds natural ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It used to be 14 or 15 years of age, a young player would sign schoolboy forms, basically contracting themselves to the club until they were 16, where a decision would be made on whether or not they'd be given an apprenticeship until they were 18. I think that they could still play for their local club until they were 16, then join the professional environment, although i had to give up my local team at 14 and play for the youth team.

Picking players up at 9 has got to be a precarious situation, it must be a numbers game. I'm struggling to work out how a nine year old would be coached, based on brain development and physical development. How can a coach refine a nine year olds natural ability?
    I read an interview a few years ago from some coach or other saying the biggest difference you can make to a player is the quality of the coaching they receive between the ages of 9-13

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I read an interview a few years ago from some coach or other saying the biggest difference you can make to a player is the quality of the coaching they receive between the ages of 9-13
    That seems to be the point. After that is too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I'd rather we went one further and just got rid of ours completely.
    Based on what we've seen in the last decade or so at Cardiff, upgrading to a Class One Academy would be a case of chucking good money after bad. There would have to be a change of attitude among the hierarchy at the club who, for me, have just paid lip service to the Academy concept during the Tan era if the investment was to stand a chance of being a worthwhile one. Also. those in charge of the Academy since Neil Ardley left have a pretty hopeless record if you judge the success or failure of a youth policy by either how many first team players it produces for the club or how much money it raises for it in transfer sales - would anyone expect their achievement level to be transformed because we switched to a Class One Academy?

I would say the evidence is that things go wrong at Cardiff for youngsters at an older age than suggested in this thread because representation in Wales age group sides from Cardiff City is usually pretty impressive up to the age of about seventeen and then it starts to drop with Swansea tending to do a lot better than us when we reach Under 21 and senior levels - self evidently, City have been hopeless at turning good seventeen and eighteen year olds into first team players at the club for ages.

Agreed, Bob.
    Hopefully we’re seeing a change of attitude with Neil Harris (publicly at least) championing youth.
    It’s a chicken and egg, thing.
    In an ideal world, both Cardiff and Swansea would be producing top notch players for Wales and other nations through their academies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Agreed, Bob.
    Hopefully we’re seeing a change of attitude with Neil Harris (publicly at least) championing youth.
    In an ideal world, both Cardiff and Swansea would be producing top notch players for Wales and other nations through their academies.
    I think Harris may say the right things publicly but as soon as the season starts if he has a choice of Mark Harris or Paterson off the bench or Bagan / Cunningham I know which ones he will be sending on

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Agreed, Bob.
    Well, you'd like to think the talent has always been around in south Wales to produce the occasional first team player for both clubs and it should be in the future as well. The big concern for me is whether, with Sion Spence and others opting to decline contract offers from City this year, we are reaching the stage where the club has acquired a reputation as a bad one to be a youngster at and this will affect the decisions of the best teenagers from this area in the future.

It's been remarked in the Lloyd Humphries thread that it becomes harder for youngsters to get into the senior team as we become recognised as being a top end Championship club with Premier League possibilities and that is a fair point, but, by the same token, with that higher standing, it should mean that we would have a better chance of getting the very best young talent in the area to commit to us - especially if we had a reputation as a club that was unafraid of giving young players a chance in the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I think Harris may say the right things publicly but as soon as the season starts if he has a choice of Mark Harris or Paterson off the bench or Bagan / Cunningham I know which ones he will be sending on
    By the way that’s not a criticism, more the reality of getting results and we do still have a reasonably large squad with some very experienced championship players such as Paterson, Flint, Murphy, Cunningham, Pack etc available off the bench, that will always get the nod in tight games over an untried youngster