+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: Northampton 3 - 0 Cardiff City

Re: FT: Northampton 3 - 0 Cardiff City

A bad day just got worse. England go 0 - 1 up against Iceland in the 89th minute.

Re: Northampton vs Cardiff - Carabao Cup match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    We get 3 opportunities at Trophies, at we're out of one of those before the season has really started. We've capitulated in cups for nearly a decade now. If it was the U23's there would be a little more sympathy but this team has at least 8 of the starting 11 in. It's simply not good enough.
    Calm down dear

Neil Harris post-match reaction:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-neil-18885540

"I don't think the system was an issue, I think personal duels was an issue," Harris said after the match.

"Outfought, outrun, outbattled, outcompeted. It doesn't matter what system you play, if you lose your duels in a football match, you're going to lose nine games out of 10."

Harris claimed his team went about the game like a pre-season friendly, while the Cobblers treated it like a cup final and, ultimately, it was that desire to win and be better than their opposite number which earned them a spot in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

It is the manner in which City simply surrendered which particularly irked the City manager, who could not hide his disappointment.

"I learned a lot about some of my players today," he added. "The majority of that is not for the good."

Asked if some players had played themselves out of contention for next week, Harris replied: "Well, quite possibly.

"But I don't make knee-jerk reactions and I don't come and belittle my players. It was a poor performance and there is food for thought for next week.

"Some of them haven't done themselves any favours today, of course they haven't, with a poor performance. But you don't judge players over one 90 minutes in the cup before the Championship season starts, you judge them over the course of the nine months I've been in charge and some of them are a lot better players than they showed today."

------

Harris has confirmed he is in talks to sign an attacking player and revealed after the game that he expects his third signing of the summer to be through the door by Monday.

"I expect somebody in the building Monday, just to freshen the group up again," Harris said.

"Today, we were light in the squad, for reasons like international call-ups, great credit to the players, and other boys missing through various reasons.

"It'll be great to get the group back together next week. The young lads have done really well - I thought Tom Sang was excellent when he came on - but some of those are not quite ready to be in the group.

"We will bring more seniors back in the group and the standard of training rises again and the standard within the group and they are the standards I'll be expecting next week against Sheffield Wednesday."

It is what is, it’s a strange start to the season, we haven’t had a proper pre season and we are straight into a cup game with players missing because of international break.

No point reading too much into this result. One of those days.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It is what is, it’s a strange start to the season, we haven’t had a proper pre season and we are straight into a cup game with players missing because of international break.

This 👍

Am I wrong in being quite glad we lost?

The structure of the tournament doesnt help the squad build any early season continuity, with some players in and out of the starting 11 depending on whether its a league or cup game.
    Just having league games throughout the next month will enable us to settle the team (and to make sure that Bamba just carries the drinks at half time from now on)

[QUOTE=jon1959;5113985]Neil Harris post-match reaction:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-neil-18885540

"I don't think the system was an issue, I think personal duels was an issue," Harris said after the match.

"Outfought, outrun, outbattled, outcompeted. It doesn't matter what system you play, if you lose your duels in a football match, you're going to lose nine games out of 10."

Harris claimed his team went about the game like a pre-season friendly, while the Cobblers treated it like a cup final and, ultimately, it was that desire to win and be better than their opposite number which earned them a spot in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

It is the manner in which City simply surrendered which particularly irked the City manager, who could not hide his disappointment.

"I learned a lot about some of my players today," he added. "The majority of that is not for the good."

Asked if some players had played themselves out of contention for next week, Harris replied: "Well, quite possibly.

"But I don't make knee-jerk reactions and I don't come and belittle my players. It was a poor performance and there is food for thought for next week.

"Some of them haven't done themselves any favours today, of course they haven't, with a poor performance. But you don't judge players over one 90 minutes in the cup before the Championship season starts, you judge them over the course of the nine months I've been in charge and some of them are a lot better players than they showed today."

------

Harris has confirmed he is in talks to sign an attacking player and revealed after the game that he expects his third signing of the summer to be through the door by Monday.

"I expect somebody in the building Monday, just to freshen the group up again," Harris said.

"Today, we were light in the squad, for reasons like international call-ups, great credit to the players, and other boys missing through various reasons.

"It'll be great to get the group back together next week. The young lads have done really well - I thought Tom Sang was excellent when he came on - but some of those are not quite ready to be in the group.

"We will bring more seniors back in the group and the standard of training rises again and the standard within the group and they are the standards I'll be expecting next week against Sheffield Wednesday."
    [/‘

Yet Harris states in one of the Cardiff City clips that the team won’t be outworked by another side.

Isn’t that what happened today?

Calm down dear
    Oh no a Cameronism :(

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Oh no a Cameronism :(
    For what it's worth, i agree with you. Not so much the competition, but the performance, and the fact that we were bullied and allowed it to happen for the majority of the game. I couldn't care less if it has no bearing on future results or whether or not it's mickey mouse. It was a competitive game that we didn't fancy, and it showed. It seems Neil Harris feels the same way as well, maybe he needs to 'Calm Down' as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    For what it's worth, i agree with you. Not so much the competition, but the performance, and the fact that we were bullied and allowed it to happen for the majority of the game. I couldn't care less if it has no bearing on future results or whether or not it's mickey mouse. It was a competitive game that we didn't fancy, and it showed. It seems Neil Harris feels the same way as well, maybe he needs to 'Calm Down' as well.
    Neil Harris, whilst acknowledging it was an unnacceptable performance, has already said there will be no knee jerk reactions to today’s performance and he will be putting faith in the lads who have done well for him this last 9 months. No need need for messageboard hysterics.

Neil Harris, whilst acknowledging it was an unnacceptable performance, has already said there will be no knee jerk reactions to today’s performance and he will be putting faith in the lads who have done well for him this last 9 months. No need need for messageboard hysterics.
    You've obviously never experienced Hysterical behaviour Nobody expects Harris to over react, or certainly say as much to the press. Today was shit, gutless, no bottle or committment, that's a fact, not hysterics. I'm not concerned about the next game.

You've obviously never experienced Hysterical behaviour Nobody expects Harris to over react, or certainly say as much to the press. Today was shit, gutless, no bottle or committment, that's a fact, not hysterics. I'm not concerned about the next game.
    It was a trumped up friendly with half of our first team missing. No need to get upset.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post

The structure of the tournament doesnt help the squad build any early season continuity, with some players in and out of the starting 11 depending on whether its a league or cup game.
    Just having league games throughout the next month will enable us to settle the team (and to make sure that Bamba just carries the drinks at half time from now on)
    Yes

We should want to win every game.

However, I would rather lose 3-0 today than 3-0 next week.

It was a trumped up friendly with half of our first team missing. No need to get upset.
    Well only in so much as Harris decided to play a formation which failed disastrously previously at QPR which was a spectacularly stupid thing to do.

Admit that you made the same mistake (again) and move on. We all know that you are not a tactical genius so stop trying to be Johan Cruyff. It is embarrassing.

We finished last season late due to the playoffs and it's a quick turnaround to this season. With the amount of games they are going to cram into a season cut short by a month, I'm glad to be out of that competition. I wouldn't be surprised if he was treating it as a friendly game and told them behind closed doors to disregard the result.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post

Yes. You are wrong being glad we lost.

Except these Cup capitulations.against "minnows" happen every season - we are the minnows no matter who we play in a cup game.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...tings-18884648

The sorry Cardiff City player ratings as defence and attack completely fail in Northampton Town defeat

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Well only in so much as Harris decided to play a formation which failed disastrously previously at QPR which was a spectacularly stupid thing to do.

Admit that you made the same mistake (again) and move on. We all know that you are not a tactical genius so stop trying to be Johan Cruyff. It is embarrassing.
    You are reading far more into the formation than you need to. I don’t think Neil Harris is trying to be Johan Cruyff he used a different formation in a couple of friendlys because his hands were tied with available personnel and it didn’t work yesterday. Big deal. Due to the way it’s fallen this year, especially in the international break it was just about getting some minutes in the legs. He had nothing on the bench to change it. A load of defenders and kids.

Once he has his options back from injury and international duty this week we won’t be seeing Sol in the starting line up.

Harris is far more flexible with systems than Warnock and we were crying out for that. He will change a system with substitutions and we were very high up on the points gained after substitutions table last season.

Johan Cruyff he may not be but he’s no mug either.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Except these Cup capitulations.against "minnows" happen every season - we are the minnows no matter who we play in a cup game.
    It is what it is. Let’s be honest we could have won the game 3-0 and you’d still be complaining about something on your blog.

It is what it is. Let’s be honest we could have won the game 3-0 and you’d still be complaining about something on your blog.
    If it had been a warnock side pumping out that performance, you'd be in meltdown....

You are reading far more into the formation than you need to. I don’t think Neil Harris is trying to be Johan Cruyff he used a different formation in a couple of friendlys because his hands were tied with available personnel and it didn’t work yesterday. Big deal. Due to the way it’s fallen this year, especially in the international break it was just about getting some minutes in the legs. He had nothing on the bench to change it. A load of defenders and kids.

Once he has his options back from injury and international duty this week we won’t be seeing Sol in the starting line up.

Harris is far more flexible with systems than Warnock and we were crying out for that. He will change a system with substitutions and we were very high up on the points gained after substitutions table last season.

Johan Cruyff he may not be but he’s no mug either.
    My guess is that Harris has some doubts about our full backs' defensive solidity (Osei-Tutu and Bennett - maybe not Cunningham) and wanted to play to their strengths by using a 3/5 back line and giving them more licence to get forward where they can be very dangerous. It may also be why the rumour mill has flagged a search for another centre back, despite there being four senior CBs in the squad. It didn't work against Northampton and Sol was exposed again. I love the guy, but his age and that last injury have knocked him back and I think he should be seen as an emerging coach and emergency defender (or defensive midfielder) for the last year of his contract, not a starter. I think Harris may try playing with three CBs and wing backs again this season - even in league games - but not for a while, and certainly not next weekend.

If it had been a warnock side pumping out that performance, you'd be in meltdown....
    Colin would have blamed the ref or made some flippant remark about couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed. At least Harris says the attitude wasn’t acceptable and he won’t stand for it moving forward.

Colin would have blamed the ref or made some flippant remark about couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed. At least Harris says the attitude wasn’t acceptable and he won’t stand for it moving forward.
    Agree, glad Harris said as much, i agree with his comments. Hope it doesn't filter into the next performance. I don't think it will. Harris wont allow it. It could be the kick up the arse that may have been needed and it could focus the players.