+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Gig Venues

Re: Great Gig Venues

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    You surprise me. I thought the presence of Stacia at a Hawkwind gig would be enough to make you their biggest fan.
    Awful self indulgent nonsense , a sort of pink Floyd with noise

Not a fan of zappa for the same reason , apart from his commercial stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Awful self indulgent nonsense , a sort of pink Floyd with noise

Not a fan of zappa for the same reason , apart from his commercial stuff
    Forget the noise, what about Stacia ?!!!!!!

First Team

Royal Albert Hall - just a very special place.
    Hammersmith Palais- sadly gone but what a place be it for a concert or Saturday night out as a teenager.
    Cardiff Top Rank - when’s full it had a great atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Royal Albert Hall - just a very special place.
    Hammersmith Palais- sadly gone but what a place be it for a concert or Saturday night out as a teenager.
    Cardiff Top Rank - when’s full it had a great atmosphere.
    Hammersmith Palais was a good venue. Not so sure about the RHA. I saw two bands there, Echo and the Bunnymen and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Great nights for sure, but I wouldn't want to be seeing bands there on a regular basis. Although, Siouxsie and the Banshees recorded one of the best live albums I've ever heard there. I can be seen in the Echo and the Bunnymen video of Do It Clean getting marched out right at the end. The kicked me out and I walked right back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    The Capitol and Colston Hall were the main large 'local' venues that attracted the very best artists when I started going to concerts in the early 70's. Not very intimate venues and the sound in Colston Hall could vary from great to not so good but still gave me some great memories.
    Yes agree with you Capitol and Colston for me too. Are we still allowed to say Colston???

100 Club.
    Sex Pistols, Rolling Stones both played there.
    The only iconic club left in London. Also met the mrs there in 81 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    100 Club.
    Sex Pistols, Rolling Stones both played there.
    The only iconic club left in London. Also met the mrs there in 81 😜
    Is the marquee still around ?

Newport Centre isn't bad

1000 standing down the front

2000 seats above to watch the band

Saw some great bands there , slayer , pantera , trivium

saw the smiths and REM at the newport centre

do they still hold gigs there pre covid of course ?

TJs Newport

Classic small gig venue

Wildhearts, Sick Of It All , Stuck Mojo , Raging Speedhorn

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

doesn't seem to be on the radar anymore which is a shame , its better than anything Cardiff has in the 2000 capacity range

St davids Hall is dreadful , University great Hall poor view

doesn't seem to be on the radar anymore which is a shame , its better than anything Cardiff has in the 2000 capacity range

St davids Hall is dreadful , University great Hall poor view
    I liked the great hall

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I liked the great hall
    Mixing desk is in the wrong place , view from where it is would be perfect

just thinking about it my top 2 was :

Royal Albert Hall
    Cardiff Top Rank

out of the bigger arenas the Birmingham NEC is decent

saw U2 in Wembley 1987 but was disappointing so never set foot in a stadium to watch a group again

just thinking about it my top 2 was :

Royal Albert Hall
    Cardiff Top Rank

out of the bigger arenas the Birmingham NEC is decent

saw U2 in Wembley 1987 but was disappointing so never set foot in a stadium to watch a group again
    U2 in cardiff in 87 were good

Mind you they were a good band then

Wouldn't want to see them anytime after that

You probably only saw about 20 minutes of The Smiths!

Newport Centre was a surprisingly decent venue. The Cure played an excellent gig there when they did a smaller venue tour. REM was a great gig.

The Great Hall is fine if you enjoy the mosh pit. Further back the lower ceiling near the bars makes it feel a bit claustrophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Yes agree with you Capitol and Colston for me too. Are we still allowed to say Colston???
    Why not ? Colston, Colston, Colston. Does that answer your question ? heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I liked the great hall
    I think the quality of sound in St David's Hall is dependent on the type of music played. Heavy metal bands don't really work there, neither do bands who up the decibel level. I've seen bands like 10cc, The Moody Blues, The Zombies etc who don't blow your eardrums out and providing the mixing desk does its job, the sound reproduction can be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You probably only saw about 20 minutes of The Smiths!

Newport Centre was a surprisingly decent venue. The Cure played an excellent gig there when they did a smaller venue tour. REM was a great gig.

The Great Hall is fine if you enjoy the mosh pit. Further back the lower ceiling near the bars makes it feel a bit claustrophobic.
    your right mind you think it was more like 30 minutes . Some very prominent city fans were on stage demanding the band get back on stage taking over the mic after the incident when morrissey was hauled into the crowd and ended up in the royal gwent !! I won't mention any names they know who they are

still got photos from that gig and would be worth a few quid now i would guess in fact was asked to use in a book but I declined

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...n-came-6265210

Is the marquee still around ?
    Don't think so. When I went there in the late 1960's/early 1970's I seem to recall the club was in Soho within walking distance of where I was staying. The big act at the time was Chris Farlow and the Thunderbirds who had been playing there for years. I think they made their name there. I didn't much care for the place; far too trendy and surprisingly small for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Don't think so. When I went there in the late 1960's/early 1970's I seem to recall the club was in Soho within walking distance of where I was staying. The big act at the time was Chris Farlow and the Thunderbirds who had been playing there for years. I think they made their name there. I didn't much care for the place; far too trendy and surprisingly small for my liking.
    Lots of great rock bands played there though but very small

Globe in cardiff is not a bad venue but too small

First Team

The Roundhouse even though it has been revamped into more like an arts centre still manages to become a proper rock venue with the right band and crowd in.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    The Roundhouse even though it has been revamped into more like an arts centre still manages to become a proper rock venue with the right band and crowd in.
    Seen the RHCP there maybe 15 yrs ago didn’t do it for me, I would have loved to seen The Doors there back in the day.

To me a decent venue is all about the acoustics. Small venues are not great as many, but not all, bands play at a volume better suited to larger venues. On the other hand large venues with high ceilings are not great either as the sound bounces around. The distortion can be horrendous. You only get a happy medium by chance and I can't think of any currently in Cardiff. Oddly the Newport Centre was decent. The Top Rank was awful but a place, also long gone, was the dance club in the basement of the old Capitol Cinema. I doubt if anyone on here even knew it existed. It's a great pity that no purpose built places are built with acoustics in mind. Most exist in converted buildings where the acoustics rarely work.

your right mind you think it was more like 30 minutes . Some very prominent city fans were on stage demanding the band get back on stage taking over the mic after the incident when morrissey was hauled into the crowd and ended up in the royal gwent !! I won't mention any names they know who they are

still got photos from that gig and would be worth a few quid now i would guess in fact was asked to use in a book but I declined

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...n-came-6265210
    I missed the gig myself as I'd gone to uni a couple of weeks before. I probably went to the only uni that they didn't play that year and never got to see them.
    Would love to see those photos sometime.