+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Davies has passed away

Fred Davies has passed away

Apologies if it's been posted already but just noticed on Sky ticker that our former goalkeeper has died aged 81.
    He was our keeper just before I started watching City .RIP Fred.

Re: Fred Davies has passed away

Such a shame. He was the 'keeper when I first started going down NP. Not the tallest but a really good goalie, I remember him wearing a cap a lot. I was surprised when we sold him to Bournemouth for £5000. RIP Fred.

I'm another for who Fred was my first keeper & my jumpers for goalposts inspiration. RIP Fred

R.I.P Fred, our goalie when I first started going down the City from October '68 onwards

Rest In Peace Fred

RIP

RIP Fred

My favourite City goalie of all time. RIP Fred and thanks for the memories.

Sad. Like the others here, Fred Davies was in goal the very first time I walked through those rickety turnstiles as a kid. I remember his flat cap well. I also remember his terrifying tendency to dribble around opposing players in his penalty area.

'Davies is better than Yashin. Toshack is better than Eusebio, and (fill in the blank) are in for a thrashin'

Once saw Fred score five goals in a charity game at Ynys Park, Ton Pentre. If memory serves a certain John Charles also played in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Sad. Like the others here, Fred Davies was in goal the very first time I walked through those rickety turnstiles as a kid. I remember his flat cap well. I also remember his terrifying tendency to dribble around opposing players in his penalty area.

'Davies is better than Yashin. Toshack is better than Eusebio, and (fill in the blank) are in for a thrashin'
    Bless Freddie Davies and bless Peter King, bless Barrie Jones as he streaks down the wing, bless 'em all.
    RIP

Even in a time when goalkeepers were not the size they are today, he struck me as on the small side, but I can't say it was ever something that held him back.

I can remember he made his debut in a home match with Portsmouth on an absolutely awful, wet afternoon that left the pitch a quagmire. City were 3-0 up playing towards the Grange End at half time and ended up winning very comfortably by that score. However, I can remember being impressed by our new goalkeeper's professionalism as he asked the kids stood in the boys enclosure on the Grange End how long there was to go every few minutes, but the passing of the years has made me believe that it was much more likely that he was really concerned with how much longer he had to stay out in the lashing wind and rain.

RIP

Part of the almost nursery rhyme like mantra... Davies, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Harris.............. RIP Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    My favourite City goalie of all time. RIP Fred and thanks for the memories.
    And Mine, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Part of the almost nursery rhyme like mantra... Davies, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Harris.............. RIP Fred.
    Well said. Great memories. A really good keeper who looked impressive in his flat cap ! RIP Fred

A favorite ‘keeper of mine. To emulate him I wore a similar cap during my time between the sticks, not that it did me much good.

RIP Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Even in a time when goalkeepers were not the size they are today, he struck me as on the small side, but I can't say it was ever something that held him back.

I can remember he made his debut in a home match with Portsmouth on an absolutely awful, wet afternoon that left the pitch a quagmire. City were 3-0 up playing towards the Grange End at half time and ended up winning very comfortably by that score. However, I can remember being impressed by our new goalkeeper's professionalism as he asked the kids stood in the boys enclosure on the Grange End how long there was to go every few minutes, but the passing of the years has made me believe that it was much more likely that he was really concerned with how much longer he had to stay out in the lashing wind and rain.

RIP
    Bob, I'm surprised that you and and another poster said that Fred was on the small side as that was not a memory I had of him. I therefore checked some of the old team photos online and in one of them he is stood next to Tosh, who was about 6' 2". They appear to be roughly the same height.

The one goalkeeper we had who certainly fitted into the small category was Dilwyn John. I don't think he could have been over
    5' 8".

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Such a shame. He was the 'keeper when I first started going down NP. Not the tallest but a really good goalie, I remember him wearing a cap a lot. I was surprised when we sold him to Bournemouth for £5000. RIP Fred.
    Allegedly knocking off Scoular's missus at the time - that's why he was transferred..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Allegedly knocking off Scoular's missus at the time - that's why he was transferred..

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Bless Freddie Davies and bless Peter King, bless Barrie Jones as he streaks down the wing, bless 'em all.
    RIP
    Rarely hear Barrie Jones mentioned, even by old-timers. I remember him being a bit of lightning, over on the left wing as I recall.

Yes, I remember that chant.

"Part of the almost nursery rhyme like mantra... Davies, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Harris.............. RIP Fred."

Rarely hear Barrie Jones mentioned, even by old-timers. I remember him being a bit of lightning, over on the left wing as I recall.

Hallelujah, Jimmy Scoular, Jimmy Scoular...

Right winger was Barry (number 7), Ronnie Bird was on the left wing.

Barrie Jones was a superbly gifted footballer. Unfortunately, he broke his leg away at Blackpool, which ended his football league career.

A game that sticks in my mind was an away defeat at Derby in 1969, the season they gained promotion to the First Division. City got beaten 2-0 but the general consensus was that Barrie Jones was the best player on the pitch that day.

What I didn't realise was that Plymouth broke the British transfer record for a winger when they signed him from the Jacks in 1964 for £45,000.