+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 50 years ago today Cardiff 2 Birmingham 0

50 years ago today Cardiff 2 Birmingham 0

My first ever Cardiff match. Toshack scored both and this 6 year old was hooked for life.
    During the late 80s and the whole of the 90s I'd never have guessed I'd see us in an F A Cup and League cup final and two years in the top flight.

Those 50 years have flown and thank you Cardiff City for giving me so many great memories.

Re: 50 years ago today Cardiff 2 Birmingham 0

Debut for Trevor Francis, Gary Bell put him in his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post

My recollection is that in the short time he was on the pitch Francis hit the post twice and was a long way from Bell’s pocket. But my memory is far from reliable these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    My recollection is that in the short time he was on the pitch Francis hit the post twice and was a long way from Bell’s pocket. But my memory is far from reliable these days.
    Not according to Gary!

Not according to Gary!
    Gary’s pockets must have been stitched up for the return game, 16 year old Trevor scored after about 5 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    My first ever Cardiff match. Toshack scored both and this 6 year old was hooked for life.
    During the late 80s and the whole of the 90s I'd never have guessed I'd see us in an F A Cup and League cup final and two years in the top flight.

Those 50 years have flown and thank you Cardiff City for giving me so many great memories.
    Congratulations Hamish As a kid, I can remember looking in City programmes which had features on games played 10, 20 and 30 years ago and thinking how ancient must anyone be who can remember those from 30 years earlier? Then, go forward a few years and reading my copy of NME, I started to realise that I was singing some of the singles that were in the charts from three decades earlier.

Now I look at someone who has been supporting us since 1990 and think they're an apprentice

I saw Trevor Francis score against us that season at Birmingham's ground. We had a really good side then but lost the match 2-0 I think. There were 49000 in the crowd and I took my wife who experienced a bloke urinating all over her new coat. Oddly enough she hasn't been to a match since.

Trevor and Gary are mates ,Gary informed me he was in the same youth set-up .

For me Gary Bell set the standard for City full backs, personally I don't think anyone has got anywhere near the excellence he set.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

For me Gary Bell set the standard for City full backs, personally I don't think anyone has got anywhere near the excellence he set.
    Totally agree with you on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    This didn't seem correct to me so I looked up their birth dates. Trevor Francis was born in April 1954 whereas Gary Bell was born in 1947. I know little about youth set ups but doubt if there was a 7 year age range in any youth arrangements at any club in the 1960's. Also Gary Bell was born in Stourbridge and was signed to a non league club (Lower Gornal Athletic) whereas Trevor Francis was born in Plymouth and was attached to Birmingham City so can't see how their paths, in a footballing sense, had crossed let alone played in the same youth set up. Of course stranger things have happened but I doubt the veracity of the claim that the two played in the same set up.