+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In a previous thread I feared what would happen today at Northampton

In a previous thread I feared what would happen today at Northampton

without our 6 players (Moore, Vaulks, Patterson, Whyte, Harris and Waite) away on international duty plus 3 unavailable (Tomlin, Ralls and Mendez Laing). The other message board isn’t as fixated on Wales as this one which is the better in all other aspects of the two sites. My concern and support is for City first ahead of Wales and any other international teams our players might be called up for. Today we played like muppets. Our players should be withheld from international games when our side is affected by their absence, including Wales.

Of course I want Wales to be successful but not at the expense of City who should come first any day for all of us following the club. Posts about Wales should be fewer on this site which should concentrate on being a “Cardiff City Message Board”. Today we are out of the League Cup with barely a whimper. Might not have happened but for the international call-ups. After all, 2 of our 6 absent players scored for their countries; 2 more than their colleagues today at a newly promoted League 1 side!

Re: In a previous thread I feared what would happen today at Northampton

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    without our 6 players (Moore, Vaulks, Patterson, Whyte, Harris and Waite) away on international duty plus 3 unavailable (Tomlin, Ralls and Mendez Laing). The other message board isn’t as fixated on Wales as this one which is the better in all other aspects of the two sites. My concern and support is for City first ahead of Wales and any other international teams our players might be called up for. Today we played like muppets. Our players should be withheld from international games when our side is affected by their absence, including Wales.

Of course I want Wales to be successful but not at the expense of City who should come first any day for all of us following the club. Posts about Wales should be fewer on this site which should concentrate on being a “Cardiff City Message Board”. Today we are out of the League Cup with barely a whimper. Might not have happened but for the international call-ups. After all, 2 of our 6 absent players scored for their countries; 2 more than their colleagues today at a newly promoted League 1 side!
    How do explain the shambolic nature of our cup exits in the 7 years since we last lost to Northampton in the first round of the League Cup, none of which have coincided with International fixtures?

Fair point, Cyril.

You do realise that the club cant withhold players from national team duty! apart from that, great idea.

No club should hinder the dreams of any player but denying them the chance to play for their country.
    Of those 6 absentees maybe only Vaulks would have started today, so international call ups (am I allowed to talk about Wales on here?) isnt really that relevant to todays performance and result. The players we put out today could and should have had the ability and attitude to see off a League 1 side, but failed.

Harris is stubborn, he literally needs bad after bad after bad to see good. He's more than naive sadly. Hopefully the players shoehorn him into playing a certain a way and he forgets about this wingback nonsense.

My prediction last season was he would be sacked before Xmas and after lock down that seemed mad...

Wales play 3 games in October between our 2 scheduled championship fixtures for 3 and 17 October. The Wales matches are spread out so City should not be affected as badly by international games next month as we were yesterday. Having said that, hope none of our players play full 3 matches for any national side. Commodities like professional footballers need to be used carefully and considerately, rather than have them break down with over use injuries.

Of course I want Wales to be successful but not at the expense of City who should come first any day for all of us following the club.
    and who the hell are you to tell us what should come first?

I am 67 and have followed City regularly since September 1963 when we drew 2-2 against Manchester City in the old second division. That was my first game and I have followed them ever since. The Cardiff team (I grew up less than 3 miles from Ninian Park) happens to be more important to me than Wales. It is very exciting to follow one’s home town side- much more “intimate” sort of thing than a national side. This is a Cardiff City message board so why not favour them over Wales. Nothing wrong in following both, but this is a City forum. This then is who I am, to answer your question. Who the hell are you?

I am 67 and have followed City regularly since September 1963 when we drew 2-2 against Manchester City in the old second division. That was my first game and I have followed them ever since. The Cardiff team (I grew up less than 3 miles from Ninian Park) happens to be more important to me than Wales. It is very exciting to follow one’s home town side- much more “intimate” sort of thing than a national side. This is a Cardiff City message board so why not favour them over Wales. Nothing wrong in following both, but this is a City forum. This then is who I am, to answer your question. Who the hell are you?
    Well said

That doesn't answer my question at all, nothing in that gives any reason why you have the right to say "Cardiff City should come first for all of us"

Personally I'd rather see Wales win the World Cup than City win the Champion's League, that's my choice and it's nothing to do with you if Cardiff City, Wales or the next door's cat come first for me or any us.

Also I'd say this is less a City forum and more of a forum for City fans, there's a 73 page thread about the Glamorgan Cricket team halfway down and 139 page thread about the Coronavirus next to it for crying out loud, it's weird how you complain about us following our national team rather than those ones

Fair enough Delmbox. We are all entitled to our opinions. Leave it at that is my suggestion. We can maybe spar over other topics in future.

Fair enough Delmbox. We are all entitled to our opinions. Leave it at that is my suggestion. We can maybe spar over other topics in future.
    I look forward to it

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I look forward to it
    ooooo you're so rugged when you get angry.

OP is extraordinarily insular. I’d like to think we all love our National team too. Let’s face it that team yesterday should have been good enough. It’s their attitude that should be taken to task, not the fact we were missing international players.

I tend to agree with you wholeheartedly (I realise not everyone does). I've got zero interest in Wales and I wouldn't even bother to watch them if they got to the World Cup final. Cardiff City on the other hand....a lifelong rollercoaster of emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    ooooo you're so rugged when you get angry.
    I meant that it was nice to have a spirited but civilised chat with someone, he's clearly a decent guy

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I tend to agree with you wholeheartedly (I realise not everyone does). I've got zero interest in Wales and I wouldn't even bother to watch them if they got to the World Cup final. Cardiff City on the other hand....a lifelong rollercoaster of emotions.
    You’re obviously not a Welshman!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    You’re obviously not a Welshman!
    Yes born and bred!

?? As a football fan I find that a bit strange that you wouldn’t watch Wales in a World Cup Final, couldn’t be 100% certain but I’d say all the football fans that I know watch the World Cup Final regardless of who’s involved. It’s one of, if not, the most looked forward to game in the football calendar.

The general demise of interest in the two domestic cup competitions will surely by accelerated by lack of crowds - no 'big name ' teams to attract bumper gates, no extra gate revenue for non-prem. clubs, though maybe a bit of TV money. The one season where I'd gladly see us exit early if it boosts of league prospects..

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ?? As a football fan I find that a bit strange that you wouldn’t watch Wales in a World Cup Final, couldn’t be 100% certain but I’d say all the football fans that I know watch the World Cup Final regardless of who’s involved. It’s one of, if not, the most looked forward to game in the football calendar.
    I probably exaggerated a bit. I haven't missed a World Cup final for over 40 years. Yes I more than likely would watch it as a football fan but I wouldn't have any particular emotional interest in the match.

I probably exaggerated a bit. I haven't missed a World Cup final for over 40 years. Yes I more than likely would watch it as a football fan but I wouldn't have any particular emotional interest in the match.
    Each to their own of course but this seems mental to me, especially if you don't miss a world cup final

Hand on heart you can honestly say that you wouldn’t have any emotional interest if Wales were involved. I didn’t witness the atmosphere in Wales during the last Euros due to being in France for the duration but from what I’ve heard it was electric with people who you’d never associate with football getting caught up in the frenzy, some still mention it now. Do you reckon you could detach yourself completely in the madness of Wales reaching a World Cup Final? If your answer is yes I want Giggs to get you in the squad with a view to bringing you on to take the final spot kick in the event of a penalty shoot out, we need cold eyed, emotionless marksmen like you

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hand on heart you can honestly say that you wouldn’t have any emotional interest if Wales were involved. I didn’t witness the atmosphere in Wales during the last Euros due to being in France for the duration but from what I’ve heard it was electric with people who you’d never associate with football getting caught up in the frenzy, some still mention it now. Do you reckon you could detach yourself completely in the madness of Wales reaching a World Cup Final? If your answer is yes I want Giggs to get you in the squad with a view to bringing you on to take the final spot kick in the event of a penalty shoot out, we need cold eyed, emotionless marksmen like you
    Ha ha, very good but honestly I can't see that it would raise a flicker. I know I'm an odd one as if Argentina were in the final my heart would be pounding.