+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One For Bob Wilson

One For Bob Wilson

As your our correspondent with our Youth Teams these days what is your recollection of 18 year old Harry Pinchard ?

Released by us in the summer but now on trial with Man city

Re: One For Bob Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    As your our correspondent with our Youth Teams these days what is your recollection of 18 year old Harry Pinchard ?

Released by us in the summer but now on trial with Man city
    I have a feeling that, rather than being released by City, he decided, like Sion Spence, to turn down a contract offer from us. I think there are one or two others who did the same thing and, in my view, City need to address this because it may well be the start of something that was always going to be on the cards given our lamentable record when it comes to producing our own first team players - who can blame gifted young players if they decide that Cardiff City are not the club to give them their best chance of making it in the game?

I wasn't surprised by Spence's decision, but Pinchard was the one who came as a shock as he was, arguably, our most important midfielder in last season's Under 18s and looked a fine prospect when playing alongside Neco Williams in the Wales Under 17 side which won their group in the UEFA Championship last autumn - maybe he was aware of Man City's interest in him when he made his decision with City, but he's definitely not the sort of player City can afford to lose.

How c an we avoid this though? If Man City come sniffing around you’re bound to want to take up that opportunity rather than stay in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    How c an we avoid this though? If Man City come sniffing around you’re bound to want to take up that opportunity rather than stay in Cardiff.
    I'm not sure about that. Of course any youngster will have the opportunity to train in an environment of world class players but the reality is that any young player has got virtually no chance of making it to Man City's first team. I would suggest that it would be better for any promising young player to be better off with a Championship club where there are better first team opportunities than at a leading Premiership club. However, there are worrying signs that all is not well at the Cardiff Academy which either need to be addressed urgently or the Academy needs to be scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Sion Spence decided to stay with City rather than sign for them at the time Rabbi Matondo left, his decision to leave this summer suggests he regrets that decision now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sion Spence decided to stay with City rather than sign for them at the time Rabbi Matondo left, his decision to leave this summer suggests he regrets that decision now.
    Brooks, Matondo & Sancho all left Man City.

BTW I reckon Pinchard got tapped up by an agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Brooks, Matondo & Sancho all left Man City.

BTW I reckon Pinchard got tapped up by an agent.
    I sometimes think these moves to the bigger clubs stunts their development.