+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can anyone recommend cordless drill?

Can anyone recommend cordless drill?

In the market for a new cordless.

Its intended use is for the odd weekend job, rather than all day/everyday use.

I have thick stone walls in my house so it need to have a decent amount of power.

Cheers!

Re: Can anyone recommend cordless drill?

https://www.verumverdicts.com/best/b...BoCcl4QAvD_BwE

Critical its hammer action and enough torque (minimum 38Nm) .

Some own brands stuff Screwfix are good

International

Hilti ar the best I've used but that's at work, not for personal use.
    they tend to be a bit more expensive but I believe you get a lifetime guarantee or something similar.
    If you're drilling brick/concrete walls you need something a bit heftier, so you may need a smaller one for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    In the market for a new cordless.

Its intended use is for the odd weekend job, rather than all day/everyday use.

I have thick stone walls in my house so it need to have a decent amount of power.

Cheers!
    If you've got stone walls, then get yourself a cordless SDS drill and an impact driver to go with it. I use Metabo, although Makita do a slightly cheaper range as do Hitachi and De walt. All of those brands are more than good enough for DIY.

Sorry to hear you haven't been well, Mr.Oddie. You sure you're up to drilling walls?

de walt

I've got a Bosch 18v cordless drill great drill for DIY very powerful, light, can be used as a screw driver, drill, and power drill hammer action for concrete stone walls

International

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Sorry to hear you haven't been well, Mr.Oddie. You sure you're up to drilling walls?
    I meant to ffer my well wishes on my post too.

I recently got a DeWalt cordless drill and I must say it's miles better than all the others I've owned.

I bought I DeWalt drill and driver set a few months ago to build a garden office and it does things to me my wife couldn't.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcz298d2t-sfgb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/920HP?tc=BA9&ds_kid=92700055256569560&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=CjwKCAjwkdL6BRAREiwA-kiczCcXLf9ZwdWlCaecojSBTZ_r2rRNcZOYkFdwlcXghcCLAGp XgHD7UxoCZ14QAvD_BwE

I have a DeWalt Cordless 18v drill. It has a hammer setting and screw driver settings but I still find my 30+ year old Black and Decker corded drill set to hammer action is better for drilling brick. Using good drill bits also makes a difference a well. The cheap ones from Lidl/Aldi etc can manage about half a whole before the tip goes soft or the masonry insert falls out.

Dewalt for me, Ive always been a fan, from Black & Decker Professional range to ELU to DeWalt ( all owned by the same outfit )

ELU were very good drills, the best by far imho

ive owned Bosch aswell and that was trade qaulity and abused like hell ( it was a 9.6 V cordless )

Dewalt has become very affordable in recent years, my first 14.4 V Dewalt Drill cost me £480 crazy money, screwfix always have them at good prices

Both Lidl and Aldi have a good range for about £45 with batteries. They also come with 3 year warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Both Lidl and Aldi have a good range for about £45 with batteries. They also come with 3 year warranties.
    Seen ‘em, they’re on the same shelf as the sardines and the Cillit Bang, right next to vacuum flasks

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    to be fair to these, they are fairly decent, ive had a few from Aldi's, ideal to use and abuse, used to hammer one of them as a cordless i used for fencing, it was slung in the mud, left out overnight in the rain, truly abused

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Seen ‘em, they’re on the same shelf as the sardines and the Cillit Bang, right next to vacuum flasks
    Strange that the vast majority of electrical products from the very expensive to the cheapest are made in China. However you won’t get a 3 year no quibble warranty from De Walt!!.

Don’t bother with cordless u less it’s a really decent one like Dewalt.

A big standard plug I into the mains will do most jobs for you.

I've got one of these in my dad's old tool box. Lovely bit of kit!

Hand drill.jpg

Ryobi are worth a look, too.
    It’s important to get one with two batteries, so one of them can be on charge and Lithium batteries are better.

it's worth paying for brushless, more power and better battery life.

I got an Erbauer (B&Q/Screwfix) own brand, it's been great so far and has 2 year guarantee.

Worth considering that there will be a whole range of other tools that can share a battery if you have the same brand, dont get a DeWalt drill if you have a Bosch saw etc

I use a Makita. If you shop around on ebay you can get a brand new drill, battery and charger separately and get a great deal.

I think I got a driver and and an impact driver for $50.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I use a Makita. If you shop around on ebay you can get a brand new drill, battery and charger separately and get a great deal.

I think I got a driver and and an impact driver for $50.
    always pee'ed me off the cost of power tools in the USA,

I mentioned my 1st DeWalt drill cost me £480 , that same year we went to las vegas, I popped to a small tool shop and got the same DeWalt drill for under £150 , or course the charger was 110 V but that didnt matter as i had the charger from my UK Drill , the 110 V one came in handy when onsite as i could plug it in to the 110 Feed