+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: Wales 1 - 0 Bulgaria. Match thread

Heisenberg

Re: FT: Wales 1 - 0 Bulgaria. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Lovely cross from Johnny Williams and an excellent header from Neco. Two clean sheets despite missing four centre backs and two key central midfielders.
    A great chance of making the play offs and from there winning them and qualifying for the World Cup Finals.
    "Missing four centre backs"... That can't be right, can it?

Rodon and Mepham were missing. The only other 2 I can think of are Ashley Williams who wouldn't have played anyway and Chester who wasn't called up despite being fit (he played for Stoke today).

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Rodon and Mepham were missing. The only other 2 I can think of are Ashley Williams who wouldn't have played anyway and Chester who wasn't called up despite being fit (he played for Stoke today).

Am I missing something?
    I included Chester. Didn’t know he played today. Seems like he is now surplus to requirements. I think Ashley Williams may have played.

Am I missing something?
    Rodon played yesterday.

Heisenberg

Rodon played yesterday.
    So did Mepham. He and Rodon were apparently left out (according to reports) due to them being injured for a while and needing to work on their fitness with their clubs. Same with Tom Lawrence.

That wasn't an issue with Chester and looks like he's definitely out of favour. If Williams had played in either game after the performances he put in for Bristol City then I don't think I could handle the anxiety of seeing him likely giving away a needless penalty. He was awful for them and, at 36 and clubless, I think it's time for him to bow out gracefully.

So did Mepham. He and Rodon were apparently left out (according to reports) due to them being injured for a while and needing to work on their fitness with their clubs. Same with Tom Lawrence.

That wasn't an issue with Chester and looks like he's definitely out of favour. If Williams had played in either game after the performances he put in for Bristol City then I don't think I could handle the anxiety of seeing him likely giving away a needless penalty. He was awful for them and, at 36 and clubless, I think it's time for him to bow out gracefully.
    A great shame about Chester. He was superb around 2015/16. His knee seems a big problem. Giggs has some interesting decisions to make going forward. At right back Roberts or Williams? Who are his first choice centre backs now? Does he move Ampadu back to CDM?
    When Allen and Ramsey are fit who misses out? With Bale, Moore, Brooks and James also available something would have to give.

Heisenberg

A great shame about Chester. He was superb around 2015/16. His knee seems a big problem. Giggs has some interesting decisions to make going forward. At right back Roberts or Williams? Who are his first choice centre backs now? Does he move Ampadu back to CDM?
    When Allen and Ramsey are fit who misses out? With Bale, Moore, Brooks and James also available something would have to give.
    He was brilliant in that back 3 with Williams and Davies. He's gone downhill since then though, like you said, likely due to those injuries he kept having.

Rodon and Mepham have to be our first choice CBs (imo).

Our midfield has looked a bit lightweight and has lacked creativity in the last two games. Ampadu and Ramsey would be my first choice as a pair. That would certainly give more bite and and (hopefully) give us more control in the centre of the park. I think Allen may have to play a bit part role but he's a great option to have in case of injury or as a sub.

Roberts hasn't impressed me at all for Swansea or Wales for a while. He looks like he's lost any and all composure in and out of possession. Williams looks the real deal and should be given a chance in the game against England. Hopefully a good performance will cement his place in the XI.

Our forward line is the best we have had in a long time. It wasn't too long ago we had Steve Morison, Simon fecking Church or Freddy Eastwood (remember him?!) as a starting striker. Moore looks infinitely better than those three ever did for Wales (probably being slightly harsh on Morison there).

We've probably been a bit lucky to grab a win in the last two games... But as other posters have said already... Those are games we would have lost in the past so can't complain too much.

The only thing I disagree with that people have been praising Giggs for is that he's been willing to "blood youngsters". My argument would be: who else have we got available to us that would play before the youngsters he's chosen anyway? David Edwards

So if fit. Something like below

Hennessey
    Williams
    Mepham
    Rodon
    Davies
    Ampadu CDM
    Ramsey
    Brooks
    James
    Moore
    Bale roaming

Six young players in that starting line up

Heisenberg

Hennessey
    Williams
    Mepham
    Rodon
    Davies
    Ampadu CDM
    Ramsey
    Brooks
    James
    Moore
    Bale roaming

Looks good to me ...

...Although Wilson has to be considered as well. We're so blessed with those types of players at the moment.

Looks good to me ...

...Although Wilson has to be considered as well. We're so blessed with those types of players at the moment.
    It’s great to see. Real competition for places and lots of youngsters coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    What do you get for winning your group?
    World Cup Playoff spot

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    World Cup Playoff spot
    no you don't. read my reply above.

Hennessey
    Williams
    Mepham
    Rodon
    Davies
    Ampadu CDM
    Ramsey
    Brooks
    James
    Moore
    Bale roaming

whatever happened to Ben Woodburn?

I'd like to see Ampadu playing in front of the back 4 as an extra layer of protection for the defence, and it would also give him more freedom in his primary role as a playmaker. He is now our biggest decision maker on the pitch, and most of our attacks start with him, so he doesn't need to be worrying about marking the opposition team's last man. I can't remember Wales ever having a defensive player who was so comfortable on the ball, and we are now well equipped to compete in the modern game.

Regarding the fullback it's got to be Williams. He's a real live wire and tricky going forward. I also like the idea of playing Brooks and Ramsey in the middle, as we seem quite limited only having one creative player there. Of course it would require Ampadu to play at CDF, as he reads the game so well.

But what about Joe Allen? I'm a big fan of what he contributes to team, so maybe he will have to play when we need to be more defensive minded. There are so many other good players too, who can make a real impact coming off the bench. Looking forward to the England game now, that should be a good test of where we are footballing wise.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    World Cup Playoff spot
    Unfortunately the rewards for winning Group B are much less tangible re World Cup qualification than they were for the Euros. At the very best we would pick up one of two World Cup play off places available were we to win Group B.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    The only reasonable explanation that I have found is that he likes a pint, maybe a bit more than he should? I'm happy to be be corrected though! Nothing else makes any sense, as he a very talented player.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'd like to see Ampadu playing in front of the back 4 as an extra layer of protection for the defence, and it would also give him more freedom in his primary role as a playmaker. He is now our biggest decision maker on the pitch, and most of our attacks start with him, so he doesn't need to be worrying about marking the opposition team's last man. I can't remember Wales ever having a defensive player who was so comfortable on the ball, and we are now well equipped to compete in the modern game.

Regarding the fullback it's got to be Williams. He's a real live wire and tricky going forward. I also like the idea of playing Brooks and Ramsey in the middle, as we seem quite limited only having one creative player there. Of course it would require Ampadu to play at CDF, as he reads the game so well.

But what about Joe Allen? I'm a big fan of what he contributes to team, so maybe he will have to play when we need to be more defensive minded. There are so many other good players too, who can make a real impact coming off the bench. Looking forward to the England game now, that should be a good test of where we are footballing wise.
    I would prefer Ampadu there too. It gives the flair players the chance to push forward knowing he is there to protect the back four. He is an obvious candidate to be the next captain of Wales. Neco Williams looks like he is on a different level to Roberts and has to start going forward. Hennessey now odds on to be the first Wales player to reach 100 caps as Gunter is now third choice right back

Hennessey now odds on to be the first Wales player to reach 100 caps as Gunter is now third choice right back
    I can see Giggs giving Gunter 4 caps from the bench, as he has been a very loyal servant, and I heard he plays a big part behind the scene and is popular with all the players.

I can see Giggs giving Gunter 4 caps from the bench, as he has been a very loyal servant, and I heard he plays a big part behind the scene and is popular with all the players.
    Possibly although he won’t risk winning a match to bring him on. Hennessey now in 91 caps.

Possibly although he won’t risk winning a match to bring him on. Hennessey now in 91 caps.
    Maybe he won't be the first, but I think he will get there eventually

I also like the idea of playing Brooks and Ramsey in the middle, as we seem quite limited only having one creative player there. Of course it would require Ampadu to play at CDF, as he reads the game so well.
    That should be CDM!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Worth remembering that he looked lively in his first 2 Wales games too and also scored on his home debut. Hopefully Williams can push on a lot more but I'm not quite so sure that Connor Roberts' days are over just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    Worth remembering that he looked lively in his first 2 Wales games too and also scored on his home debut.
    He even scored for the Liverpool first team, but he seems to be completely out of the picture now, so something is not right.

The only reasonable explanation that I have found is that he likes a pint, maybe a bit more than he should? I'm happy to be be corrected though! Nothing else makes any sense, as he a very talented player.
    I think besides the football ability, you need a certain type of mentality to succeed as a player I'd guess that gets more important as you get to the age where you are going to be playing senior football.

My sources* tell me that Chelsea are willing to let Ampadu go out on loan to Sheffield United

*just seen it on twitter