+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who was Western Mail's "Citizen"?

Who was Western Mail's "Citizen"?

Some (namely Enoch Mort and myself) have wondered about the identity of "Citizen". He was Western Mail's sports correspondent (from the 1920's to the 1950's) who reported on football and rugby matters and often stirred controversy by seemingly knowing more about Wales teams than Welsh selectors themselves.

"Citizen" was reported to be Dewi Lewis in several press pieces. He was Sports Editor of the Western Mail. I would include some pictures, but this forum does not allow images to be shown at the moment. (Grrrrr)

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Who was Western Mail's "Citizen"?

Arwen Owen ?

Peter Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Some (namely Enoch Mort and myself) have wondered about the identity of "Citizen". He was Western Mail's sports correspondent (from the 1920's to the 1950's) who reported on football and rugby matters and often stirred controversy by seemingly knowing more about Wales teams than Welsh selectors themselves.

"Citizen" was reported to be Dewi Lewis in several press pieces. He was Sports Editor of the Western Mail. I would include some pictures, but this forum does not allow images to be shown at the moment. (Grrrrr)
    Phil Stead (about as close you can get to an authority on welsh football) said it was Dewi Lewis.

Weren't City referred to as the Citizens in early match reports? Which is weird because Man City were the Citizens and now they're called City. Which obviously means something totally different to us. I've always called CCFC "the City". "Are you going down the City this weekend?" meant are you you going to NP on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Weren't City referred to as the Citizens in early match reports? Which is weird because Man City were the Citizens and now they're called City. Which obviously means something totally different to us. I've always called CCFC "the City". "Are you going down the City this weekend?" meant are you you going to NP on Saturday.
    Yep, I don’t think I’ve heard any other ‘City’ clubs referred to as The City. I’d love it if our ground was simply called The City, it’s what everyone calls the ground anyway whether over the road or the CCS. Don’t recall anyone ever saying ‘ I’m going down Ninian Park or CCS’. Imagine ‘ THE CITY’ lit up all around the outside perimeter. Fair play to the club though, the NHS banner behind the goals does say ‘The City Thanks The NHS’ (something along those lines). Regarding Manchester City, I’ve noticed that Guardiola wears a top with Cityzens (sic) on the back of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

they are working on it. I sent them some screen shots today

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Yep, I don’t think I’ve heard any other ‘City’ clubs referred to as The City. I’d love it if our ground was simply called The City, it’s what everyone calls the ground anyway whether over the road or the CCS. Don’t recall anyone ever saying ‘ I’m going down Ninian Park or CCS’. Imagine ‘ THE CITY’ lit up all around the outside perimeter. Fair play to the club though, the NHS banner behind the goals does say ‘The City Thanks The NHS’ (something along those lines). Regarding Manchester City, I’ve noticed that Guardiola wears a top with Cityzens (sic) on the back of it.
    100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    they are working on it. I sent them some screen shots today
    Many thanks, BOSS!

Screen shots of what?

Dewi Lewis sounds about right. There was the ' hundred years of the bluebirds' documentary that was on BBC many years back where I think Peter Corrigan was talking about him being an influence.

Having been a lurker on this board for quite a few years, I feel that this topic is a good opportunity to finally contribute, introduce myself and answer the question all in one.

Citizen was my Uncle - Dewi Lewis. He was, indeed, Sports Editor of the Western Mail right up until the late sixties and was still a football journalist in the early seventies too.

In many 1960s Cardiff City programmes there’s an advert for his column in the Western Mail.

My avatar is the book cover of a history of the club Dewi wrote covering Cardiff City from 1910/11 season until 1951/52.

Some other interesting background to Citizen is that he was a big critic of the Welsh Football Association and actually covered the 1958 World Cup in Sweden (I used to go through his press photos and scrapbooks when I was a kid during the sixties). He gave John Charles a lift from the station after the Welsh FA failed to organise John's travel (I think there's an account in his biography).

My lasting memories of Dewi will always be his massive knowledge of Wales and Cardiff City and that he was forthright in his views about the game and the way the players were treated at the time.

Dewi Lewis and the news?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Having been a lurker on this board for quite a few years, I feel that this topic is a good opportunity to finally contribute, introduce myself and answer the question all in one.

Citizen was my Uncle - Dewi Lewis. He was, indeed, Sports Editor of the Western Mail right up until the late sixties and was still a football journalist in the early seventies too.

In many 1960s Cardiff City programmes there’s an advert for his column in the Western Mail.

My avatar is the book cover of a history of the club Dewi wrote covering Cardiff City from 1910/11 season until 1951/52.

Some other interesting background to Citizen is that he was a big critic of the Welsh Football Association and actually covered the 1958 World Cup in Sweden (I used to go through his press photos and scrapbooks when I was a kid during the sixties). He gave John Charles a lift from the station after the Welsh FA failed to organise John's travel (I think there's an account in his biography).

My lasting memories of Dewi will always be his massive knowledge of Wales and Cardiff City and that he was forthright in his views about the game and the way the players were treated at the time.
    Welcome to this crazy board Citizen.....and no more lurking in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Welcome to this crazy board Citizen.....and no more lurking in the background.
    Thank you. Yup, my lurking days are over

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Welcome - and thanks for confirming the OP.
    Incidentally, this thread was spawned by an enquiry about another sports journalist in the Slade family. I'm reasonably sure now that his name was Arthur Rowland Slade (ARS) who worked as a Sports Journalist for the Hill’s Welsh Press. I have a press clipping from 1937 which mentions this.
    If anyone has any references to ARS in their City ephemera, I'd be grateful if they would contact me.