+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Help needed please from those with Cardiff City FC ephemera/books/programmes etc from 1920s

Help needed please from those with Cardiff City FC ephemera/books/programmes etc from 1920s

I'm researching a poster's ancestry and exploring the possibility of one of his family reporting on City - possibly the 1927 Cup Final.

I've checked the news reports from the day in the Western Mail. The main reporter was 'Citizen'. He wrote a booklet about City which was published in 1947 - which was a few years after the guy on whom I'm focussing died.

The family believe the man's name was Onslow Slade.

I've found an Alfred Onslow Slade (bn 1885) in the records (who is related to our fellow poster) and he was connected to the Press as an assistant accountant in a newspaper office in 1939.

Alfred had a brother, Arthur Graham Slade, who was an assistant reporter in Cardiff in 1911. Maybe there's a connection there.

What I'm asking is: if you have any papers, programmes, books etc which feature Cardiff City in the 1920's, could you check them (when you have a moment) for references to 'Slade' or 'Onslow Slade', please? It might just be a by-line.

(PS For DML's benefit: this has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else connected to City who has Slade as a surname)

Re: Help needed please from those with Cardiff City FC ephemera/books/programmes etc from 1920s

A gentle bump....

Re: Help needed please from those with Cardiff City FC ephemera/books/programmes etc from 1920s

You have a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    You have a PM
    Thanks - and you have a reply (as of course you now know)

I'm bumping this thread as I'm reasonably sure now that reporter was Arthur Rowland Slade (ARS) who worked as a Sports Journalist for the Hill’s Welsh Press. I have a press clipping from 1937 which mentions this.
    If anyone has any references to ARS in their City ephemera/books, I'd be grateful if they would contact me.