+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: British Darts Organisation set to fold

Re: British Darts Organisation set to fold

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It’s a highly competitive sport. NQAT.

The as competition has never been so fierce.
    It may be highly competitive but so are wet t shirt contests

I don't regard it as a sport

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Dispute it with the guys who spend as long practicing as many people work per week. Arguably Phil Taylor was the first to realise the value of it, regularly practicing 7-8 hours per day. Top snooker players are the same.
    what aerobic , anaerobic and strength fitness is required to carry out this sport ?

Its no more of a sport than chess or scrabble

At one time if you defected from BDO to PDC you weren't allowed back. They softened that but you still had to wait a period of time before being allowed back in, I'm sure he had to wait a year and he never got picked for the County again. He took up Archery instead (honest!)

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    what aerobic , anaerobic and strength fitness is required to carry out this sport ?

Its no more of a sport than chess or scrabble
    Since when has aerobic , anaerobic and strength fitness been a pre-requirement to be classed as a sport? Would you describe every olympic event as a sport, as there are non-aerobic , anaerobic and strength fitness events at the olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    At one time if you defected from BDO to PDC you weren't allowed back. They softened that but you still had to wait a period of time before being allowed back in, I'm sure he had to wait a year and he never got picked for the County again. He took up Archery instead (honest!)
    Archery is far tougher. They're only allowed to finish on the bull.

Since when has aerobic , anaerobic and strength fitness been a pre-requirement to be classed as a sport? Would you describe every olympic event as a sport, as there are non-aerobic , anaerobic and strength fitness events at the olympics.
    shot putt , strength

Golf , I find it boring but you have to be fairly fit to get around the course, and strong to belt a ball along the fairway

Gymnastics , athletics , swimming , strength , stamina

If a sport is an event at the Olympics and doesn't involve strength , aerobic fitness , anaerobic fitness or flexibility then I wouldn't classify it as a sport

Archery just about gets in as it takes arm strength but so does arm wrestling , I don't think either are sports

Darts in my view is a pastime , made into a sport by television

Now clearly these darts blokes are better at darts than me but I am better at fishing than a lot of them

Both of us are involved in pastimes that involve skill and knowledge but I don't think darts or fishing are sports , although if I am fishing a 5 mile stretch of river I am doing more exercise than them

shot putt , strength

Golf , I find it boring but you have to be fairly fit to get around the course, and strong to belt a ball along the fairway

Gymnastics , athletics , swimming , strength , stamina

If a sport is an event at the Olympics and doesn't involve strength , aerobic fitness , anaerobic fitness or flexibility then I wouldn't classify it as a sport

Archery just about gets in as it takes arm strength but so does arm wrestling , I don't think either are sports

Darts in my view is a pastime , made into a sport by television

Now clearly these darts blokes are better at darts than me but I am better at fishing than a lot of them

Both of us are involved in pastimes that involve skill and knowledge but I don't think darts or fishing are sports , although if I am fishing a 5 mile stretch of river I am doing more exercise than them
    For the second time, since when has aerobic , anaerobic and strength fitness been a pre-requirement to be classed as a sport? You know now that every reply that doesn't answer this will be replied with the same question....

For the second time, since when has aerobic , anaerobic and strength fitness been a pre-requirement to be classed as a sport?
    isn't it obvious ?

A team of toned , strong rugby or football players are involved in a sport

A bloke throwing darts at a board ?

Two blokes sitting down playing chess ?

A meeting of the local bridge club ?

These events are clearly not sports are they ?

Darts is a little more active than chess or bridge but its a close run thing

Swimming , cycling , rugby , football , skiing, karate , hockey , athletics , badminton , squash , ice hockey , baseball , cricket , basketball , American football .......active , require elements of strength , aerobic fitness etc

Darts , pool , fishing , chess , backgammon .........pastimes

Some people are better darts players than others but its got nothing to do with bodily function

isn't it obvious ?

A team of toned , strong rugby or football players are involved in a sport

A bloke throwing darts at a board ?

Two blokes sitting down playing chess ?

A meeting of the local bridge club ?

These events are clearly not sports are they ?

Darts is a little more active than chess or bridge but its a close run thing

Swimming , cycling , rugby , football , skiing, karate , hockey , athletics , badminton , squash , ice hockey , baseball , cricket , basketball , American football .......active , require elements of strength , aerobic fitness etc

Darts , pool , fishing , chess , backgammon .........pastimes

Some people are better darts players than others but its got nothing to do with bodily function
    That isn't a definition of sport, though. That's your interpretation.

I could successfully argue that metal isn't good music as my interpretation. In other words, you can argue all you like, your argument won't convince me or others either way.

That isn't a definition of sport, though. That's your interpretation.

I could successfully argue that metal isn't good music as my interpretation. In other words, you can argue all you like, your argument won't convince me or others either way.
    Sport is defined as physical exertion and skill applied either in a team or individual environment .

The only physical exertion a darts player takes part in is throwing his dart at a board

I am not interested in trying to convince you , I know you like darts and so do many others but its a pastime , not a sport

I think formula one is boring bollocks but the guys involved in that spend hours in the gym to increase their core strength to deal with the g force as they take corners, they are very strong individuals

I don't think its a sport but if we were to suggest it is , it would be hard to argue otherwise

To play a sport at the top level you need skill , physical strength , aerobic and anaerobic fitness

Phil Taylor in his day was very skillful at throwing darts at a dartboard from ten feet away

What physical strength , aerobic and anerobic fitness did phil taylor draw on to become world champion at darts ?

Darts brings joy to many people , thats great , but its not a sport

Snooker is similar but they do more exercise than darts players so they probably edge it , although they do get to sit down

Convenient of you to forget to mention the skill it takes to throw darts accurately.

another thread derailed what a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Convenient of you to forget to mention the skill it takes to throw darts accurately.
    Muscle memory.

Sport is defined as physical exertion and skill applied either in a team or individual environment .

The only physical exertion a darts player takes part in is throwing his dart at a board

I am not interested in trying to convince you , I know you like darts and so do many others but its a pastime , not a sport

I think formula one is boring bollocks but the guys involved in that spend hours in the gym to increase their core strength to deal with the g force as they take corners, they are very strong individuals

I don't think its a sport but if we were to suggest it is , it would be hard to argue otherwise

To play a sport at the top level you need skill , physical strength , aerobic and anaerobic fitness

Phil Taylor in his day was very skillful at throwing darts at a dartboard from ten feet away

What physical strength , aerobic and anerobic fitness did phil taylor draw on to become world champion at darts ?

Darts brings joy to many people , thats great , but its not a sport

Snooker is similar but they do more exercise than darts players so they probably edge it , although they do get to sit down
    It doesnt what your interpretation of sport is, or the cut and paste top line you used from Wikipedia, darts is officially recognised as a sport.

It takes immense skill to play at the highest level.

It doesnt what your interpretation of sport is, or the cut and paste top line you used from Wikipedia, darts is officially recognised as a sport.

It takes immense skill to play at the highest level.
    Not according to the definition used by the European sporting body linked above

I am a skilled fisherman

I am not a sportsman though

https://www.dartsworld.com/bdo-set-t...-its-all-over/

An announcement is imminent, apparently.
    They are in a lot of treble

Or is it a load of bull

I'm board with this topic already.

I am a skilled fisherman

I am not a sportsman though
    Ah. So flicking a rod into water is a skill. Throwing an arrow accurately at a board under pressure isn't.

Cool.

Ah. So flicking a rod into water is a skill. Throwing an arrow accurately at a board under pressure isn't.

Cool.
    No , you clearly haven't read what was said

One poster said there is a lot of skill involved in darts

I said that there is also a lot of skill involved in fishing

I said neither a fisherman or a darts player required strength , agility , aerobic conditioning , lung capacity etc which a runner , rugby player , footballer , athlete, squash player , cricketer or swimmer need

One of cardiffs best fishermen is about 20 stone and smokes 60 fans a day

He's very skilled in what he does but he's no sportsman

And nor is phil taylor , very skilled at throwing darts at a dartboard but one look at him and you can tell diet , exercise and conditioning , the key factors in a successful sportsman , are not on his agenda

Darts , fishing , pool are all pastimes , not sports , highly skilled pastimes at the top level , but not sports in my opinion and the opinion of many many others

No , you clearly haven't read what was said

One poster said there is a lot of skill involved in darts

I said that there is also a lot of skill involved in fishing

I said neither a fisherman or a darts player required strength , agility , aerobic conditioning , lung capacity etc which a runner , rugby player , footballer , athlete, squash player , cricketer or swimmer need

One of cardiffs best fishermen is about 20 stone and smokes 60 fans a day

He's very skilled in what he does but he's no sportsman

And nor is phil taylor , very skilled at throwing darts at a dartboard but one look at him and you can tell diet , exercise and conditioning , the key factors in a successful sportsman , are not on his agenda

Darts , fishing , pool are all pastimes , not sports , highly skilled pastimes at the top level , but not sports in my opinion and the opinion of many many others
    Its officially recognised in this country and the rest of the British Isles, USA and Netherlands, to name just a few, as a sport so stick your opinion up your nostrils and snort it.

Its officially recognised in this country and the rest of the British Isles, USA and Netherlands, to name just a few, as a sport so stick your opinion up your nostrils and snort it.
    should it be in the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    should it be in the Olympics?
    I dont see why not. They have archery in the Olympics and darts skill is far superior.

Pistol shooting is another.

I dont see why not. They have archery in the Olympics and darts skill is far superior.
    how is darts skill far superior to archery?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    how is darts skill far superior to archery?
    The size of the target for starters, not to mention the counting.

The size of the target for starters, not to mention the counting.
    You do know that in olympic archery the target is 70 metres away?!