+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Good to see Marshall getting a Man if the Match again

Good to see Marshall getting a Man if the Match again

For Scotland last night against a makeshift Czech side.

I think his best days were with us.

How do you rate him, as he played for us, versus Smithies, Heaton and Etheridge?

For me
    1. Smithies
    2. Heaton
    3. Marshall
    4. Etheridge

Re: Good to see Marshall getting a Man if the Match again

IF the match what ???

Marshall was the best by a mile.

I can't fault Smithies at all

Etheridge was unbelievable for a season and a half but other than that was very average.

Heston was a while ago and not for very long so hard to recall.

Marshall for me as well and I agree, he had his best days with us.

Marshall was the best IMO

Marshall for the service time in which he was largely very dependable and sometimes just superb. Smithies seems slightly more rounded in skill set but still not played enough to definitively say that or be on top and would probably put Etheridge ahead of smithies for now based on what either has done for us.

Marshall the best.

The season we were champions he was unbelievable. We edged a lot of games and some of his saves were unbelievable.

Heaton has gone on and had a great career but he was never going to replace Marshall.

For us

Marshall
    Etheridge
    Smithies
    Heaton

For their careers not at Cardiff you can almost reverse that list.

For me, it's Marshall by a long way. He was one of the top keepers in the land when we were in the PL and was a shining light for us over many seasons.

When Heaton got into the team, he was forever getting beaten from distance on his left hand side. But he was tremendous in the League Cup Final and improved immeasurably after he left us.

Smithies needs to maintain his form over a longer period before he can be bracketed with Marshall.

I would rate Etheridge as the weakest of the four as his kicking continually lets him down.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

Etheridge was unbelievable for a season and a half but other than that was very average.

I'm Spartacus....

We have been blessed with many really good goal-keepers but Marshall was consistently the best City goal-keeper I've watched in 60 yrs of supporting the Bluebirds. He maintained excellent form for the longest period and also was voted the best PL goal-keeper after promotion.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    We have been blessed with many really good goal-keepers but Marshall was consistently the best City goal-keeper I've watched in 60 yrs of supporting the Bluebirds. He maintained excellent form for the longest period and also was voted the best PL goal-keeper after promotion.

StT.
    <><
    He was the most amazing shot-stopper I have seen for City but he was very poor in going for crosses. He usually stayed on his line and hoped for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

Heston’s much better at cooking!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

I would rate Etheridge as the weakest of the four as his kicking continually lets him down.
    Always see this but still don't know what it means? Nearly every single keeper we've ever had has just smashed it, neither good nor bad and certainly none are Franco Baresi!

I offered to pay a guy once on twitter who had done an extensive study on keeper distribution in the premier league and if he'd do one one on Cardiff. He politely declined

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    He was the most amazing shot-stopper I have seen for City but he was very poor in going for crosses. He usually stayed on his line and hoped for the best.
    Strengths and weaknesses, as long as that was understood between him and the defence and worked on in training (which i am sure it was) its not a problem.

Its a tired cliche belonging in the 70's and 80's. In most recent times since then the greatest goalkeepers would all probably list that as their main weakness but equally as a very redundant skill in the 'modern game'. They are so protected even making a flap at it with contact against an opposition player gets them a free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Strengths and weaknesses, as long as that was understood between him and the defence and worked on in training (which i am sure it was) its not a problem.

Its a tired cliche belonging in the 70's and 80's. In most recent times since then the greatest goalkeepers would all probably list that as their main weakness but equally as a very redundant skill in the 'modern game'. They are so protected even making a flap at it with contact against an opposition player gets them a free kick.
    I don't quite understand your point but a personal observation from watching games from behind the goals is not a tired old cliché from 30 or 40 years ago.

I don't quite understand your point but a personal observation from watching games from behind the goals is not a tired old cliché from 30 or 40 years ago.
    There's are really good podcast, well worth a listen. In all honesty its possibly the most insightful football podcast around.

https://www.goalkeepersunion.net/

I'm one of those who didn't quite buy into the Marshall love-in. I'm not saying he wasn't a great keeper for us, because he was, but he was a great shot stopper, particularly from outside the box and that was about it. He was indecisive at set pieces and not great at crosses. Who can forget him cocking up Orlandi's corner in the derby? That wasn't the only time. I might be wrong here (I usually am), but I often wonder about Adam's free kick and how Marshall set up the wall. His distribution wasn't great either.

Iif Marshall was the super keeper we thought he was, how didn't his career advance after he left us?

Mackay put Marshall in the sticks at the expense of Heaton, who did a very good job for us. I thought that was a mistake then and, for overall command of his box, I still think it was wrong. Heaton has gone on to have a better career than Marshall has since both left.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Heaton has gone on to have a better career than Marshall has since both left.
    To be fair, Heaton left at 26 and Marshall left at 31. They both got relegated in their next club (Bristol City and Hull), then Heaton had a very strong spell at Burnley.

I don't think there was much to choose between Heaton and Marshall for those two seasons they were both here. I can understand people having a preference for one over the other (inevitable as they were a similar standard, there was no clear winner), but I doubt playing Heaton over Marshall would have made much of a difference to our performances - both would have saved and missed the ones the other didn't save or miss.

It was unfortunate for us that they were both here simultaneously. We were crying out for a Heaton or Marshall five years before that, in the Enkleman/Dimi/a dozen others years.

I think he's saying it's more of a goalkeeping style now, and I'd agree. Keepers came for crosses a lot more in the past than in the modern day. Having the centre backs deal with it is less risk than the keeper.

We watch our own goalkeepers more often and more closely than other keepers, so it probably skews it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think he's saying it's more of a goalkeeping style now, and I'd agree. Keepers came for crosses a lot more in the past than in the modern day. Having the centre backs deal with it is less risk than the keeper.

We watch our own goalkeepers more often and more closely than other keepers, so it probably skews it.
    I stick by my opinion and I respect that others think differently. We are all God's children after all. Even us atheists 😊