+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T car advice

O/T car advice

Guys my 7 year old ( 56k ) Nissan Qashqai has started to make a funny sound when turning right - it’s ok when turning left.

It’s a sort of sound as if something is rubbing ( brakes posssibly ?)

Any ideas - I don’t want to take it to a garage at the moment , and I’ve tried going out only turning left but I don’t get anywhere!

Could it be dangerous or is it ok to leave and turn my radio up?

Re: O/T car advice

wheel bearings.......

Probably a bearing, the noise will get worse over time, you may want to prepare yourself for a trip to the garage in the not too distant future.

Thanks guys - yes the noise seems to be more in the wheel area rather than the steering column.

Get it done mun.They got a tendency to collapse just when you least need it,well my Morris Ital did 30yrs ago.Its not that expensive either.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    wheel bearings.......
    Thats my guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Thanks guys - yes the noise seems to be more in the wheel area rather than the steering column.
    You need to get them done if its wheel bearing . It will cost a few quid , much more if they collapse though.

Rock it back and forth on the wheel arch and if it's a wheel bearing it'll move to a greater or lesser extent on a vertical plane.
    You'll also probably be able to hear it.
    That'll tell you if it IS a bearing but not necessarily that it's NOT. They tend to go on the back rather than the front, but it could be a lot of other things too including a warped wheel/ tyre if you've curbed it badly - that'd put steering off slightly , or a shock absorber problem - if it's that you might get brake fade.

Take it in and get it up on a ramp. Try Formula One if they have them there because they won't charge you to look at it and they're not bad for making crap up. Might well be that you've just damaged a tyre on inner side and smashed the tracking badly off.