+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England

England

Watching bits of their game tonight, there was a time when you knew their players by face before their name was mentioned, there’s some playing here who I’ve no clue about.

Re: England

interesting article in the athletic today about the importance of having a left footed centre back when building from the back.
    very much highlighted by England today playing an entirely right footed back 5

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    interesting article in the athletic today about the importance of having a left footed centre back when building from the back.
    Basic played a back 7 with Rice and Phillips in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    As City123 says, England played a back 7. They are dire to watch. They've got some special players going forwards but Southgate will never let them play with the handbrake off and so much is left to the front 3.

First Team

Yesterday was beyond tedious to watch.
    Southgate has an issue as the majority of the spine of his team are not that great but he is overloaded up front with talent.
    The keeper position is at best barely international standard, central defence is poor and there is a lack of creativity in midfield.
    The midfield position is solvable in that in Grealish ,Mount and Foden there is real talent and in Foden’s case potentially world class ability.
    However, defensively it really is patch up and hope. Rice is being talked about as the possible answer and maybe if Scales discovers the ability to concentrate for 90 minutes he could finally come good but it really is debatable.
    Southgate having been seen as a shining light appears to be regressing into a safety first MO and the misbehaving in Iceland indicates that maybe not all is well within the squad.
    With a game against a somewhat impressive Belgium coming up I get the impression that Team Southgate are in a state of uncertainty about how they develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Yesterday was beyond tedious to watch.
    Southgate has an issue as the majority of the spine of his team are not that great but he is overloaded up front with talent.
    The keeper position is at best barely international standard, central defence is poor and there is a lack of creativity in midfield.
    The midfield position is solvable in that in Grealish ,Mount and Foden there is real talent and in Foden’s case potentially world class ability.
    However, defensively it really is patch up and hope. Rice is being talked about as the possible answer and maybe if Scales discovers the ability to concentrate for 90 minutes he could finally come good but it really is debatable.
    Southgate having been seen as a shining light appears to be regressing into a safety first MO and the misbehaving in Iceland indicates that maybe not all is well within the squad.
    With a game against a somewhat impressive Belgium coming up I get the impression that Team Southgate are in a state of uncertainty about how they develop.
    I agree on the keeper - hes ok though.

They've got an embarrassment of riches at right back.
    Chilwell left back

Central Defence, if they go Mings and Maguire they have one left footer and one right footer (as per the athletic article :))

Assuming they go 4-3-3, I like Kalvin Phillips, I think he ultimately has more in his game than Rice - needs more time at the top level though.
    I'd probably put grealish and foden in as well, but they have quite a few players in that position too.
    I think Mount is very wasteful though- he's a possession-ender.

any of those would be straight in the Wales team tbh