+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Mendez Laing Contract Terminated

Re: Mendez Laing Contract Terminated

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You'd think that if it was anything serious enough to get the police involved then we'd have heard about it already.
    Which makes me wonder if he did just refuse to come to training or something
    If that’s all it was club would fine him, but still hold his registration and sell him ASAP. You don’t rip up a players contract, waving goodbye to £1M+, just because he throws his toys out of the pram! Plus, a player doesn’t delete all social media if he throws a hissy fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I agree about the police - surely we'd know about it by now.
    This all points to a drug issue - if he failed a drug test, and gets a ban, then he couldn't fulfil his side of his contract.
    Again if it was just a drugs test the club would probably wait to see the outcome! This smacks of something much more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I agree about the police - surely we'd know about it by now.
    This all points to a drug issue - if he failed a drug test, and gets a ban, then he couldn't fulfil his side of his contract.
    That would make sense - still don;t wnt to jump to any conclusions though.

How long is a ban for failing a drugs test?

edit-

“The FA shall decide in its absolute discretion whether or not to publish any detail relating to a charge brought under its social drugs policy regulations.”

A suspension of between one and three months can be imposed for a first offence for recreational drug use, increasing to six to 12 months a second time and between 18 months and two years if they are caught again.

Players are also required to attend a course of evaluation, education, counselling and treatment, where necessary.

A positive test for a performance enhancing drug listed on the Wada Prohibited List can lead to a four-year suspension for a first offence.

You'd think that if it was anything serious enough to get the police involved then we'd have heard about it already.
    😳

They'd sell him if that was the case, they'd fine him etc but they'd move him on. I'd be surprised if it's drugs, they're usually quite lenient and I'd imagine we'd know. Coke is a 6 month ban now, unless it isn't his first offence. Yorwerth was sacked after everyone knew it was drugs, as did people like Mutu. It should be fairly cut and dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They'd sell him if that was the case, they'd fine him etc but they'd move him on. I'd be surprised if it's drugs, they're usually quite lenient and I'd imagine we'd know. Coke is a 6 month ban now, unless it isn't his first offence. Yorwerth was sacked after everyone knew it was drugs, as did people like Mutu. It should be fairly cut and dried.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Derby County kept both Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett after crashing whilst under the influence and ending their captain's career, in that case I'd be surprised if Cardiff terminated NML's contract over drunk driving

Thing is though that if he lied, made a false allegation that it's been stolen etc and got caught , it gets more serious and they'd start talking about attemptin to pervert the course of justice etc.
    Pure speculation of course, but that's the usual thing. They might have CCTV of him driving it five minutes earlier or running off down the road or something, or his mobile telephone being used from near the crash .

I mean ,these are the usual things which go tits up if someone crashes whilst pissed then does a runner, but of course we can only guess. You're quite right though that if it was just drink drive they wouldn't have acted so drastically.

It's a bloody awful thing to happen whatever though because he was an important part of the set up.

Any comparisons with other incidents at other clubs are irrelevant.
    Assuming it was a drink driving incident, as far as I see it, the owners at say Derby County may have looked on it as an occupational hazard.
    Our owner on the other hand I imagine would see things very differently, perhaps a personal insult.

As has been said, the club have enough negative publicity flying about and a huge legal battle going on.

International

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Thing is though that if he lied, made a false allegation that it's been stolen etc and got caught , it gets more serious and they'd start talking about attemptin to pervert the course of justice etc.
    Pure speculation of course, but that's the usual thing. They might have CCTV of him driving it five minutes earlier or running off down the road or something, or his mobile telephone being used from near the crash .

I mean ,these are the usual things which go tits up if someone crashes whilst pissed then does a runner, but of course we can only guess. You're quite right though that if it was just drink drive they wouldn't have acted so drastically.

It's a bloody awful thing to happen whatever though because he was an important part of the set up.
    But if drugs were found in the vehicle and the quantity was enough to support a charge of intent to supply or something it suddenly gets more serious, even if it was a lot because he is rich and can afford a lot.

But if he used drugs regularly then he would have been caught on a random drugs test before now. In the prem for example I think if a player is called he has a matter of hours to attend rather than days. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But if drugs were found in the vehicle and the quantity was enough to support a charge of intent to supply or something it suddenly gets more serious, even if it was a lot because he is rich and can afford a lot.

But if he used drugs regularly then he would have been caught on a random drugs test before now. In the prem for example I think if a player is called he has a matter of hours to attend rather than days. It just doesn't make sense.
    The truth is that none of know what has happened, it sounds pretty serious, it could be one of several scenarios, filling in the blanks though, is bad taste in my opinion.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The truth is that none of know what has happened, it sounds pretty serious, it could be one of several scenarios, filling in the blanks though, is bad taste in my opinion.
    Yes, as I say, for it to be just drugs makes no sense, others have been there and taken a ban.
    What ever it is I'm sure we won't like it so better not to know.

Yes, as I say, for it to be just drugs makes no sense, others have been there and taken a ban.
    What ever it is I'm sure we won't like it so better not to know.
    The truth will out soon enough. I'm amazed its still private.

One things for sure, no matter what he's done someone will take a punt on him when the dust settles.

Mendez releasing a statement and Harris saying his door is always open to Mendez and that he’s comfortable with the decision. Probably something that is clearly a serious breach of contract but probably a bit less than the rumours that have been flying about.

Failed a drugs test and facing a minimal ban of around 6-9 months would be my guess. Club faced with a decision of standing by him, extending his contract and having an asset at the end of it or cutting ties now. My guess would be they took the second option and Mendez fought the decision. Harris said the PFA etc were involved in it. His statement thanked the fans and no reference to the club, Harris etc. Putting two and two together really, but the longer it goes without nothing coming out the less likely it’s anything criminal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Mendez releasing a statement and Harris saying his door is always open to Mendez and that he’s comfortable with the decision. Probably something that is clearly a serious breach of contract but probably a bit less than the rumours that have been flying about.

Failed a drugs test and facing a minimal ban of around 6-9 months would be my guess. Club faced with a decision of standing by him, extending his contract and having an asset at the end of it or cutting ties now. My guess would be they took the second option and Mendez fought the decision. Harris said the PFA etc were involved in it. His statement thanked the fans and no reference to the club, Harris etc. Putting two and two together really, but the longer it goes without nothing coming out the less likely it’s anything criminal imo.
    With this added information, this is so far the most feasible sounding theory.

I can see that because even if he hadn't been charged yet it would have leaked out from local cops. It would seem a daft act to sack him if it was just that though.
    We don't know of course, but we can't help speculating can we. It's such a dissapointment because I thought we had great balance in the squad and this has upset it, not to mention what it might do to morale.

Brian Clough once said that football management is very simple - you just need every single player to be able to do his job. Well we had that ,and I really thought we were going to do well, but I'm less certain now because we're back to relying on some people who may or may not complete the task on any particular day. Without wishing to single the boy out, that applies particularly to Gavin Whyte, who seems the natural replacement.

Apparently Harris started his press conference today saying he could not say much for legal reasons.

Sounds more serious than a simple failed drugs test.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

I had a look at a 'standard' players contract and the key things that could be deemed a 'serious breach' seem to be around:

* Lifestyle

* Club Property

* Anti-Doping

* Betting and match manipulation

But as an earlier post said none of us know what happened

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I had a look at a 'standard' players contract and the key things that could be deemed a 'serious breach' seem to be around:

* Lifestyle

* Club Property

* Anti-Doping

* Betting and match manipulation

But as an earlier post said none of us know what happened
    My guess would be anti - doping the fella's never looked right to me more like a NFL star padded up.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    My guess would be anti - doping the fella's never looked right to me more like a NFL star padded up.
    His body shape has dramatically changed that's for sure .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I was beginning to think it was just me who noticed the two heads and an extra pair of arms..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I was beginning to think it was just me who noticed the two heads and an extra pair of arms..
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Since when? He's always been a big lad

What was found in the car can't hurt him since there's no evidence to connect him with it ( unless it's forensic ).

I'm surprised more hasn't come out yet so maybe it'll be a bit like the mystery of why Sir Neil wouldn't pick Lee Tomlin and we'll never really know

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Well good luck in introducing the highest standards of polite conversation and taste amongst football crowds.
    We might not be entitled to an explanation strictly speaking , but it's such a big thing to sack an essential and well loved player that people are bound to look for one.