+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Etheridge to Birmingham

Heisenberg

Re: Etheridge to Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Have to disagree, Birmingham have just signed Andres Prieto from Espanyol as their #1, why would Etheridge go there & sit on the bench. I don't understand why City would want to weaken one area we're strong in, seems we don't value strength in depth in vital areas.
    Are you sure he was signed as their number one? I've never heard of him before so just gave him a quick Google. He was third choice at Espanyol and was released on a free. He's played 4 league games in 3 years (0 in the last 2) too. Doesn't sound like a ready-made first choice keeper to me - and with them looking to sign Etheridge too, I'd be even more surprised if he was first choice.

Have to disagree, Birmingham have just signed Andres Prieto from Espanyol as their #1, why would Etheridge go there & sit on the bench. I don't understand why City would want to weaken one area we're strong in, seems we don't value strength in depth in vital areas.
    Prieto hasnt played a league game since 17/18 season, and that was only 4 appearances.
    He’s going to be #2 to Etheridge for sure

You've got to be fair to Etheridge too. He wants to play. Perhaps we'll sign someone to back up Smithies but they seem confident about Day.

I don’t like this at all, especially at the pittance the fee is supposed to be. Personally I think Etheridge should be number one here despite Smithies’ very good few months.

Think it’s a deal that suits everyone really. Etheridge seemingly never kicked up a fuss when lost his place but will no doubt want to play first team football and we get a fee for a player out of contract in 12 months. Shame in hindsight we didn’t cash in last summer for 6-7 mil.

Hope Smithies stays fit, Joe Day made Etheridge look like Xabi Alonso when he played half an hour at Wigan last year

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I don’t like this at all, especially at the pittance the fee is supposed to be. Personally I think Etheridge should be number one here despite Smithies’ very good few months.
    But why? Smithies has been excellent at this level for years, and last season wasn't some purple patch either. He's a far more rounded keeper than Etheridge too.

The money we're getting is fair, given his contract is up next season along with the COVID market I think the club has done great business. If it allows Harris to strengthen somewhere else then even better

Makes total sense to me and we can always dip into the loan market. Might get our hands on another Heaton or Schmichael ..... or a Dimitrios

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Makes total sense to me and we can always dip into the loan market. Might get our hands on another Heaton or Schmichael ..... or a Dimitrios
    Glen Williams says it could rise to £2m. That's good business all round.

Ross Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Glen Williams says it could rise to £2m. That's good business all round.
    Plus ~£1m in salary costs saved - would have been a luxury we can't afford to have him sat on the bench each week (cue Smithies getting injured tomorrow).

Ross Turnbull

Peter Zois

Ross Turnbull
    champions League winner Ross Turnbull

Transfer completed this morning according to CCFC.

StT.
    <><

Good business for them.
    I wouldn't say it was tht good business for us, as he's gone for a steal - but it needed to be done as the squad was imbalanced.

Zidane is available for free!
    That’s Zidane Jr (a goalkeeper) who was released by Real Madrid this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Zidane is available for free!
    That’s Zidane Jr (a goalkeeper) who was released by Real Madrid this summer.
    We don’t need another keeper! We need competition for Tomlin and another right back?

makes sense especially at 2m.

Good luck to him.

Good luck Neil.

Top shot stopper and all round nice guy. Deserves to be No 1 somewhere. The deal makes sense for all parties.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    makes sense especially at 2m.

Good luck to him.
    Birmingham would have to get promoted to raise the fee to £2m and we know that wont happen and I guess the Birmingham Board knew that as well. Birmingham have got a great deal in securing Etheridge; while his distribution is poor he was good in every other respect. Let's face it Smithies distribution isn't much better

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Birmingham would have to get promoted to raise the fee to £2m and we know that wont happen and I guess the Birmingham Board knew that as well. Birmingham have got a great deal in securing Etheridge; while his distribution is poor he was good in every other respect. Let's face it Smithies distribution isn't much better
    do you know that for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    do you know that for sure?
    Read it on the Birmingham forum. Sounds right but I guess it is speculative.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Read it on the Birmingham forum. Sounds right but I guess it is speculative.
    same as most football forums then, people say stuff they think is probably true as fact without any actual knowledge about it

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    We don’t need another keeper! We need competition for Tomlin and another right back?
    Irony, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Good luck Neil.

Top shot stopper and all round nice guy. Deserves to be No 1 somewhere. The deal makes sense for all parties.