+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I was on my way to being scammed just now..

I think I was on my way to being scammed just now..

..took a call as I was posting on here. Mobile, automated telling me my Amazon Prime was going to renew for £79.10 and if wanted to cancel press '1' to speak to someone. Did that, spoke to an [Indian-sounding] lady. Told me I needed to have an 'authorization code' to cancel, and then asked what I was using - computer, phone etc. She then said press 'windows tab and 'R', which I did. I asked why I couldn't cancel online and she said I needed this code. As she was talking I logged onto my amazon account and realized it was simple to cancel if I wanted to, but because I was pre-occupied with other things I wasn't really thinking. I've since found this :

https://www.infoworld.com/article/30...-scammers.html

It must be so difficult for old[er] folk to avoid these nasty malicious traps...

Re: I think I was on my way to being scammed just now..

Anyone ringing you is lying.

Anything that start with an automated message saying they're from Amazon/Sky/BT etc. is always a scam.

Funny thing is about the Amazon scam is like f*** would Amazon can you to tell you your Prime was due to renew, they'd prefer if you forgot about it and they get your money.

Panorama did a programme a few months ago about scammers. This guy was on the programme and has managed to get a couple of scam call centres closed down. https://youtu.be/le71yVPh4uk
    If you want to have a laugh at some of the scam baiters who waste their time then look up Kitboga, Scammer Payback to name a couple on YouTube. Kitboga had one of the scammers dangling for over 36 hours over a couple of weeks and at least 1500 phone calls.

You can see the process the scammers go through to try and get money.
    Last edited by Tom Edwards; 10-09-20 at 13:04. Reason: Extra sentence

I just had a type of nuisance call that was new to me. I couldn't make out what company they were posing as but they said that I was one of their customers. I was advised that they were sending me a device, free of charge, that would stop nuisance calls! They would have to check my card details to make sure that it was me though.....

The initial caller and the supposed line manager I was passed onto (when I feigned interest) were both Indian - so no surprises there.
    Maybe it's payback for the creation of the British Empire. And, presumably, people in Spain get nuisance calls from Latin America, households in France receive them from Africa, Germans get them from Namibia, people in Portugal receive them from Brazil and the Dutch are pestered by callers from the former Dutch East Indies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    Panorama did a programme a few months ago about scammers. This guy was on the programme and has managed to get a couple of scam call centres closed down. https://youtu.be/le71yVPh4uk
    If you want to have a laugh at some of the scam baiters who waste their time then look up Kitboga, Scammer Payback to name a couple on YouTube. Kitboga had one of the scammers dangling for over 36 hours over a couple of weeks and at least 1500 phone calls.

You can see the process the scammers go through to try and get money.
    This site is brilliant. Some of the earlier baits are hilarious, complete with photos etc.

https://www.419eater.com/

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Anything that start with an automated message saying they're from Amazon/Sky/BT etc. is always a scam.

Funny thing is about the Amazon scam is like f*** would Amazon can you to tell you your Prime was due to renew, they'd prefer if you forgot about it and they get your money.
    I was preoccupied with other stuff so didn't really pay much attention initially. Once I'd twigged I though 'how could anyone be so gullible' - no comments please..

Funny ones are when they ask your details to confirm who they are speaking with after calling you. No, you called me you bellends.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..took a call as I was posting on here. Mobile, automated telling me my Amazon Prime was going to renew for £79.10 and if wanted to cancel press '1' to speak to someone. Did that, spoke to an [Indian-sounding] lady. Told me I needed to have an 'authorization code' to cancel, and then asked what I was using - computer, phone etc. She then said press 'windows tab and 'R', which I did. I asked why I couldn't cancel online and she said I needed this code. As she was talking I logged onto my amazon account and realized it was simple to cancel if I wanted to, but because I was pre-occupied with other things I wasn't really thinking. I've since found this :

https://www.infoworld.com/article/30...-scammers.html

It must be so difficult for old[er] folk to avoid these nasty malicious traps...
    I can't believe that you started the process, these scammers are so amateur.

If the caller has a British voice I talk to them for a while and mention that their voice has been recorded and will be sent to a new Police database that is being developed - and if they haven't put the phone down I tell them that their voice will be picked up if they phone any governmental department of agency. Amuses me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Anyone ringing you is lying.
    Very true I phoned a random number the other day , a woman answered , I told her I loved her and said you are lying

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

My 87 year old mum is getting about 3 calls a day from amazon asking her about an account she’s never had. Strange coz they’ve never rung me in the 10 years I’ve been buying stuff....w@nkers

Unplugged our house phone about 2 years ago, we all got mobiles now anyway.

If I do not have the number saved I do not answer, simple as that. never had any problems ever since.

If it is important they will leave a voicemail.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

If I do not have the number saved I do not answer, simple as that. never had any problems ever since.

Exactly what I do. All family and friends are programmed in On caller display and if I don’t recognise a number I don’t answer. 99% of unrecognised numbers don’t leave a voicemail. If you don’t answer you don’t have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

Did the same at my house. Just got my mum a new phone that shows who is calling.

I've got one of these devices https://www.truecall.co.uk/ It stops virtually all nuisance calls. You can also get the technology built in to some BT branded phones

They give it back to you no fuss as well. Don't make hard work of the refund like most companies do, don't interrogate you just give your money back.

Baiting these twats is one of my favourite sports these days (I know I should get a life lol) so I'm always glad when they ring me.

The great thing these days is that whoever rings you be it with number withheld or a number you don't recognize, if you ask who's calling they always tell you. So, straightaway I know they're fair game.

I use a couple of sketches depending on my mood but as soon as I know this is playtime I always start by saying "could you just hold on a moment please?", and of course they always dutifully do....so I proceed to make a cup of coffee and maybe read an article or look at my pc or whatever. 10 minutes later, if they haven't by then hung up, I return to the call.

One of my favourite roles is the lonely old gentleman who's hard of hearing but excruciatingly polite: the call could go something like this;

Me: "hello, young lady sorry about that but I just had a caller at the door (or whatever")

Caller: oh that's ok

Me: before she gets a chance to start her spiel..."sorry could you tell me again who you are please?, my memory isn't so good these days"

Caller; This is....(spiel)!

Me: "oh sorry I didn't catch that, one moment please while I get a piece of paper and pencil"

Another 5 to 10 minutes before I return to the call and...
    Me: "right, sorry could you tell me again please, slowly?"

Caller" It's...(spiel)

Me: " could you spell that please?"

Caller: spells

Me: " oh sorry just a moment my pen has run out of ink"

If they're still there when I get back (another 10 minutes)

Me: " it's so lovely to get a call from someone you know, I get so lonely since my wife died and I haven't many friends, you know, are you married yourself?"

Caller: (spiel...more frustrated)

Me: " oh sorry I didn't hear that, could you repeat it, my hearing is very bad you see"

Caller: (spiel, even more frustrated)
    Me: "well it's lovely to hear such a friendly voice, did I tell you about my wife and how we were childhood sweethearts?"

This goes on and on till they put the phone down and I revel in a job well done, sad bastard as I am lol.

Do they really stay on the phone 10 minutes tho?

No not always but some do believe it or not. The weird thing is that they rarely ring back.

If they think there's even a sniff of a chance they'll hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    No not always but some do believe it or not. The weird thing is that they rarely ring back.
    I've always found the ones trying to scam you do put the effort in and they'll listen to you talk about the most random shit you can think to say, becausw while you're talking you're still engaging with them, but I've been hung up on numerous times when I've not spoken to them for any period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Very true I phoned a random number the other day , a woman answered , I told her I loved her and said you are lying
    If Sludge rings you start shouting in a Spanish accent and slam the phone down before quickly making your way to the nearest safe space.