+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alan Minter

Alan Minter

Another who has hit the deck. K.o’d well and truly. 68

R.I.P.

Re: Alan Minter

Only saw him box live once and got stopped by a then up and coming Tony Sibson.RIP

One of the first fights I saw live was him winning the World Title.

Think it was his 2nd defence where Hagler absolutely battered him.

RIP.

If I remember correct and I was only about 12 the Sibson fight wasnt broadcast because one of them had advertising on their shorts which was banned at the time. Crazy when you consider the advertising today.

He won an Olympic medal as well didn't he (Munich 72?) - a never take a backward step fighter who was so brave when taking some heavy beatings late in his career.

RIP

Hagler was brutal in the three rounds that Minter lasted, thank God it didn’t go on any longer, RIP to a very courageous boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hagler was brutal in the three rounds that Minter lasted, thank God it didn’t go on any longer, RIP to a very courageous boxer.
    Hagler was an all time great. Undisputed 1 champion no hiding place in those days. A world title was what it is says and you were a genuine champion if you won one.

Great fighter was our Boom Boom Minter

Fast hands-Glass jaw

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hagler was an all time great. Undisputed 1 champion no hiding place in those days. A world title was what it is says and you were a genuine champion if you won one.
    Absolutely this.

Minter was well and truly outclassed in that
    Marvin Hagler fight. Quite sickening to watch if I remember and for some reason I didn't like Hagler although no doubting he was marvellous.

Very courageous boxer AM, RIP.

Always made me think of The Fall. I actually didn't realise he was so young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsBoajapOOk

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    One of the first fights I saw live was him winning the World Title.

Think it was his 2nd defence where Hagler absolutely battered him.

RIP.
    ..I think that was the Hagler fight..he had DAF

If I remember correct and I was only about 12 the Sibson fight wasnt broadcast because one of them had advertising on their shorts which was banned at the time. Crazy when you consider the advertising today.
    I think that was the Haglet fight...Minter had DAF on his shorts and the BBC pulled it

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    I think that was the Haglet fight...Minter had DAF on his shorts and the BBC pulled it
    Ive googled it since. The DAF was on Minters shorts in the Sibson fight. On a few reports and boxing forums as well.👍

The Hagler fight was definitely broadcast remember the battering and the post fight bottles being thrown in the ring.

Minter v Sibson is on You Tube. Absolutely bonkers to think the fight was pulled for a tiny piece of advertising when you compare to today.