+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Have we got any of the best players in the league?

Have we got any of the best players in the league?

Personally I think we got 3 candidates, Smithies, Morrison & Tomlin.

Are there 3 better in the league in their positions

Re: Have we got any of the best players in the league?

Smithies for me.

smithies is a good championship keeper, but there are plenty of others about the same level.
    same goes for Morrison.
    at his best Tomlin is very good, but until he can put it together for a while season then he's not even close to being the best in his position in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    smithies is a good championship keeper, but there are plenty of others about the same level.
    same goes for Morrison.
    at his best Tomlin is very good, but until he can put it together for a while season then he's not even close to being the best in his position in the league.
    There are not “plenty of others” at the same level as Smithies and Morrison at this level at all. They are easily one of the best players for their position in this division. Put it this way, there’s not many sides, if any, that wouldn’t want them in their team.

Tomlin is also one of the most talented players in the division. Yes, fitness can be an issue and he does pick up injuries but he had the 4th most assists in the division last year. 18 goal involvements in 2030 minutes. Practically a goal or assist per 90 minutes. Again, most teams would love to have that kind of creativity. 8 goals last season and 6 of them were goal of the month candidates. His 2 free kicks against sheff weds and West Brom in particular were Messi-seque. His goal against Leeds, the goal where he gave the Charlton keeper the eyes, One touch, rolling the defender and bottom corner v Luton, jeez, if he’s not even close to being one of the best in his position there must be some players on the Championship this season.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    There are not “plenty of others” at the same level as Smithies and Morrison at this level at all. They are easily one of the best players for their position in this division. Put it this way, there’s not many sides, if any, that wouldn’t want them in their team.

Tomlin is also one of the most talented players in the division. Yes, fitness can be an issue and he does pick up injuries but he had the 4th most assists in the division last year. 18 goal involvements in 2030 minutes. Practically a goal or assist per 90 minutes. Again, most teams would love to have that kind of creativity. 8 goals last season and 6 of them were goal of the month candidates. His 2 free kicks against sheff weds and West Brom in particular were Messi-seque. His goal against Leeds, the goal where he gave the Charlton keeper the eyes, One touch, rolling the defender and bottom corner v Luton, jeez, if he’s not even close to being one of the best in his position there must be some players on the Championship this season.
    Correction, 19 goal involvements, got one in the play offs too.

International

Can I answer this question next May please?

Just Smithies and Tomlin for me and, not sure yet but hoping Moore could be

Can't really argue with OP looking through our line up.

Morrison, as frustrating as he can be is solid and old fashioned and reliable.

Smithies is solid, not too clued up on others to compare but from what I've seen personally is definitely up there.. Definitely.

Tomlin wouldn't be here if he did 90 mins, says it all. Guy is class.

same goes for Morrison.
    No there aren't. Smithies and Morrison would get into pretty much every team in the division

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    No there aren't. Smithies and Morrison would get into pretty much every team in the division
    I agree, there's no one in our squad who you look at and think they're the best in our league. I agree about Smithies and Morrison to the extent that nearly sides in this season's Championshio would want them in their team and I would add Joe Ralls to that. Also, a last season's Lee Tomlin equivalent who was not in his thirties would probably cost in the region of ten to fifteen million pounds.

I've got this hunch that Moore is going to turn out to be a bargain. I hope I'm not proved wrong, but I think he's going to get a hatfull this season. Hope I'm right!

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I've got this hunch that Moore is going to turn out to be a bargain. I hope I'm not proved wrong, but I think he's going to get a hatfull this season. Hope I'm right!
    Me too, I think he is about to burst onto the scene, he has everything required to be a great player, and is about to settle at the right club at the right age at the right time.

anyone changed their minds yet?

anyone changed their minds yet?
    That Morrison, Smithies and Ralls would get in most Champ sides? They still would. Tomlin, too. We have major weaknesses, that four aren’t it.