+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheffield Wednesday , Invasion Of Cardiff , May 1984 , Remember that ! ?

Sheffield Wednesday , Invasion Of Cardiff , May 1984 , Remember that ! ?

They were already promoted I think

We put the admission prices up to make some money , good old Ron Jones

Howard Wilkinson asked their fans not to travel

But like us up to Hereford under Rick Wright, sod that

The crowd was 15000 , I reckon they had at least 8000 there that day , the biggest away following I had seen since Sunderland

I remember the 5000 who went to scunthorpe in the old fourth division under Eddie may , that was a good effort , but since the days of all seating I dont think those sort of followings will be seen again in football .

We took loads to Chelsea in the FA Cup some years back when we were given the whole end and also arsenal

But when Everton won the league in 85 ? for the first time in donkeys years I think they took 15000 to their title winning last away game .

Re: Sheffield Wednesday , Invasion Of Cardiff , May 1984 , Remember that ! ?

Yep I remember it , was in the pub opposite the castle ( rummer ) watching Coach after coach go o
    Past

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Yep I remember it , was in the pub opposite the castle ( rummer ) watching Coach after coach go o
    Past
    Thousands of them

Don't know why but they always have had tremendous support , I think they were promoted that year with Chelsea and Newcastle and brought more than them .

Leeds we played in the February and they won with a late Scott sellars goal , they brought about 2000 but nobody matched the owls support that season

First Team

Sunderland was the one I remember as the most away fans.
    On the international front Scotland possibly brought more down on the night of Jock S death.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

The crowd was 15000 , I reckon they had at least 8000 there that day , the biggest away following I had seen since Sunderland

I remember the 5000 who went to scunthorpe in the old fourth division under Eddie may , that was a good effort , but since the days of all seating I dont think those sort of followings will be seen again in football .

We took loads to Chelsea in the FA Cup some years back when we were given the whole end and also arsenal

But when Everton won the league in 85 ? for the first time in donkeys years I think they took 15000 to their title winning last away game .
    Biggest away following ive seen at our club.

Think Gary Bannister scored a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    On the international front Scotland possibly brought more down on the night of Jock S death.
    The uncovered away Grange end was filled by Sunderland, it fitted 10000 I think

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Biggest away following ive seen at our club.

Think Gary Bannister scored a couple.
    There were a few minor skirmishes but on the whole a good bunch

Always had time for the owls

Big club

I was there Sheff wed huge numbers, quite an experience for a 10 year old. also went to Scunthorpe when we took loads, lots in fancy dress!

Made a massive impression on me as a kid. I went to the game with a group of mates and wondered if there would’ve been any trouble after seeing the Sheffield Wednesday numbers. With the amount of lads they had who seemed pissed up to the eyeballs I found them a good set of lads who could’ve acted up if they chose to. I remember walking up Sloper Road and a few of them were offering us cans of Hemeling.

I declined, even as a 13 year old I knew that Hemeling was dishwater.

It’s a shame now that when I think of Sheffield Wednesday I always think of that annoying bunch of wankers who play those trumpets.

Biggest away support at Ninian Park was Scotland in 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    I was there Sheff wed huge numbers, quite an experience for a 10 year old. also went to Scunthorpe when we took loads, lots in fancy dress!
    They said we took 5000 to scunthorpe

I have to say with two and a half sides of the ground it seemed a lot more than that

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Made a massive impression on me as a kid. I went to the game with a group of mates and wondered if there would’ve been any trouble after seeing the Sheffield Wednesday numbers. With the amount of lads they had who seemed pissed up to the eyeballs I found them a good set of lads who could’ve acted up if they chose to. I remember walking up Sloper Road and a few of them were offering us cans of Hemeling.

I declined, even as a 13 year old I knew that Hemeling was dishwater.

It’s a shame now that when I think of Sheffield Wednesday I always think of that annoying bunch of wankers who play those trumpets.

Biggest away support at Ninian Park was Scotland in 85.
    They came on the pitch to celebrate at the end , they were a good bunch , if that had been leeds or Chelsea the scrapping would still be going on now

They came on the pitch to celebrate at the end , they were a good bunch , if that had been leeds or Chelsea the scrapping would still be going on now
    Wasn’t it the Chelsea game a few months previously where there was loads of trouble? Did that game with my father who used to get free tickets for a few games. Chelsea were more of a handful for our ‘lads’.

Caught a real bollocking from my father when he found out I’d ventured to Ninian Park for the Wednesday game as it goes.

Wasn’t it the Chelsea game a few months previously where there was loads of trouble? Did that game with my father who used to get free tickets for a few games. Chelsea were more of a handful for our ‘lads’.

Caught a real bollocking from my father when he found out I’d ventured to Ninian Park for the Wednesday game as it goes.
    There was trouble all day

Cardiffs trendies were surrounded in the grand stand and had a thumping

Huge fight on sloper Road after the game

I was in the bob bank and pockets of Chelsea fans would make themselves heard then get surrounded and disappear under a flurry of boots and fists

The train carrying chelsea fans home was bricked

Yet sheffield Wednesday just wanted to party

The uncovered away Grange end was filled by Sunderland, it fitted 10000 I think
    The new Grange End? 4000 tops.

There was trouble all day

Cardiffs trendies were surrounded in the grand stand and had a thumping

Huge fight on sloper Road after the game

I was in the bob bank and pockets of Chelsea fans would make themselves heard then get surrounded and disappear under a flurry of boots and fists

The train carrying chelsea fans home was bricked

Yet sheffield Wednesday just wanted to party
    The Chelsea game. Started off in the Grandstand ended up in the Canton Stand. Sloper Road was mayhem when leaving the ground and saw one poor Chelsea fan taking a massive kicking from a group of Cardiff hyenas’. The bloke who came with us giving the Cardiff group a massive gobful about having it with someone ‘one to one’.

Different levels of hooliganism during the 80s wasn’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The new Grange End? 4000 tops.
    The uncovered one sunderland filled in 79 80 , 10,000

The new one , after segregation about 6000

2500 away fans , 3500 home fans

The Chelsea game. Started off in the Grandstand ended up in the Canton Stand. Sloper Road was mayhem when leaving the ground and saw one poor Chelsea fan taking a massive kicking from a group of Cardiff hyenas’. The bloke who came with us giving the Cardiff group a massive gobful about having it with someone ‘one to one’.

Different levels of hooliganism during the 80s wasn’t it.
    against Leeds we were walking back to the car and a group of them came towards us , my mates old man , a complete nutter got a golf club out of the boot and started swinging it above his head

They ran back to the Leeds coaches

It was scary at first but we were laughing our heads off when we got home

against Leeds we were walking back to the car and a group of them came towards us , my mates old man , a complete nutter got a golf club out of the boot and started swinging it above his head

They ran back to the Leeds coaches

It was scary at first but we were laughing our heads off when we got home
    My favourite going to the match with my Dad (which wasn’t a weekly thing as he was still playing local league) was an Easter Monday game v Jacks in the late 80s down the Vetch. He’d knew a few Swansea and Cardiff officials and we jumped into the car and met someone near their East Stand who give us entry into the North Bank. My father suggested I keep quiet but in all honesty although there was a fair bit of animosity it didn’t seem as bad as what it would become. The crowd was only about 6000 odd if I remember rightly.

Swansea won 2-0, my old man was engaged in yap with an older Swansea supporter talking Allchurch, John Charles etc whilst a couple of likely lads approached me asking where was I from. My father broke conversation and interrupted our wannabe defenders of the North Bank with “You two **** off or I’ll snap your legs.” He then went back to his conversation about Welsh football with his Jack friend who was moaning about the once a year warriors who only went to football for trouble.

It was one of the few times, I ever heard my father swear

Neither of us mentioned it on the way home either.

The uncovered one sunderland filled in 79 80 , 10,000

The new one , after segregation about 6000

2500 away fans , 3500 home fans
    This is the fullest I ever saw it. That is not 10,000 fans. Do you mean the old wooden Grange End?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6CIxCcJ9k

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    And me scrapping everywhere

This is the fullest I ever saw it. That is not 10,000 fans. Do you mean the old wooden Grange End?

yes your right , i can recall being up the back, as they came in

Snap. Never saw Ninian Park as full as that game.

My favourite going to the match with my Dad (which wasn’t a weekly thing as he was still playing local league) was an Easter Monday game v Jacks in the late 80s down the Vetch. He’d knew a few Swansea and Cardiff officials and we jumped into the car and met someone near their East Stand who give us entry into the North Bank. My father suggested I keep quiet but in all honesty although there was a fair bit of animosity it didn’t seem as bad as what it would become. The crowd was only about 6000 odd if I remember rightly.

Swansea won 2-0, my old man was engaged in yap with an older Swansea supporter talking Allchurch, John Charles etc whilst a couple of likely lads approached me asking where was I from. My father broke conversation and interrupted our wannabe defenders of the North Bank with “You two **** off or I’ll snap your legs.” He then went back to his conversation about Welsh football with his Jack friend who was moaning about the once a year warriors who only went to football for trouble.

It was one of the few times, I ever heard my father swear

Neither of us mentioned it on the way home either.
    Lol

Sunderland had more than that , it was rammed to the gills , the official safety capacity of that end was 10000

I would say you could have got another 1000 fans on that terrace the night of the Scotland game

Look at it. Look how shallow it is. The old Grange was much deeper.]No way you get 10,000 on that. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4052[/ATTACH