+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheffield Wednesday , Invasion Of Cardiff , May 1984 , Remember that ! ?

Re: Sheffield Wednesday , Invasion Of Cardiff , May 1984 , Remember that ! ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Look at it. Look how shallow it is. The old Grange was much deeper.]No way you get 10,000 on that. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4052[/ATTACH
    The Grange end the Sunderland fans filled in the late seventies had a safety capacity of 10000

It was rammed

That Sunderland game was in 1980. I know Sunderland brought a lot of fans. But they didn't have 10,000 on that Grange End, because that Grange End never held a capacity of 10,000. Nowhere near. Look at it.

That Sunderland game was in 1980. I know Sunderland brought a lot of fans. But they didn't have 10,000 on that Grange End, because that Grange End never held a capacity of 10,000. Nowhere near. Look at it.
    it had a safety capacity of 10000

They filled it

What other conclusion is there to make ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    it had a safety capacity of 10000

They filled it

What other conclusion is there to make ?
    The logical conclusion is that you're mistaken.

The logical conclusion is that you're mistaken.
    well if the safety certificate capacity was set at 10000 , and thet day at the end of the 1979 1980 season saw Sunderland fill that end then there were 10000 Sunderland fans in a 10000 capacity enclosure

Unless you are saying the safety certificate for the grange end in 1979 1980 was 6000 ?

It wasnt , it was 10000

well if the safety certificate capacity was set at 10000 , and thet day at the end of the 1979 1980 season saw Sunderland fill that end then there were 10000 Sunderland fans in a 10000 capacity enclosure

Unless you are saying the safety certificate for the grange end in 1979 1980 was 6000 ?

It wasnt , it was 10000
    How do you know this?

So how many Swansea fans are on the Grange End in this video? 6000? 7000? 8000?

Does anyone else remember the time that Swansea brought over 6000 fans to NP? Because I don't.

How do you know this?
    My mates old man was in charge of match day policing at ninian park until 1985

He told me sunderland had ten thousand fans in the grange end that day and this was its capacity

Does anyone else remember the time that Swansea brought over 6000 fans to NP? Because I don't.
    about 5000

The coppers roped off the section three quarters of the way along

And you can clearly see that the swansea fans are not very tightly packed either unlike the Scots and Sunderland fans were

Swansea had at least 7000 fans in the crowd that day , they were in the grandstand , the enclosures and the canton stand . Me and my old man were surrounded by loads of Jack's in the family enclosure . You can see them celebrating when Leighton James scored . The only place swansea were not in that day was the Bob Bank.

Swansea easily had 7000 fans at ninian Park that day , if not 8

I’ve never seen them bring more than 2000, Boxing Day 88 or 89.....always had quite poor support here I thought, we always took far more to them.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’ve never seen them bring more than 2000, Boxing Day 88 or 89.....always had quite poor support here I thought, we always took far more to them.
    I totally agree with that but in 1980 , when John buchanons great strike shut them all up , they brought at least 6 thousand if not more , in the grange , grandstand, enclosures and canton

I totally agree with that but in 1980 , when John buchanons great strike shut them all up , they brought at least 6 thousand if not more , in the grange , grandstand, enclosures and canton
    Swansea were on their way up to the old First Division. I think they had a maximum of 4000 in the Grange End and a few hundred more scattered around the ground. I remember it being a massive crowd for the time, but I don't remember the ground being overrun by Swansea.

Swansea were on their way up to the old First Division. I think they had a maximum of 4000 in the Grange End and a few hundred more scattered around the ground. I remember it being a massive crowd for the time, but I don't remember the ground being overrun by Swansea.
    Loads of jacks there that day , when cardiff scored in the canton most of the people are sitting down

Lollipop man ran over to the family enclosure canton side as there were loads of swansea fans in there , pain the arse they were , it was like being on the north bank

That was the biggest away following swansea brought in my lifetime , they failed to go up that season and went up the year after .

It was the Welsh cup game down the vetch when there was serious trouble that saw swanseas following down this way decline .

From being a team nobody bothered with swansea going up seemed to mobilise our lunatics , December 83 when we beat them three two was pretty nasty and the carnage of the Easter game in 84 at the vetch seemed to put a lot of them off coming down to ninian

However swansea are not the poorly supported team away from home a lot of our fans think . They took 5000 up to Bury many years ago and when we were promoted in 93 under may they packed the away end at elm Park reading in their final match before the play offs . At least 4000.

Swansea went up that season.

Swansea went up that season.
    Year after wasnt it ?

I thought they went fourth , third , two years second , first division

Year after wasnt it ?

I thought they went fourth , third , two years second , first division
    This is correct. 4 to 3 to 2, 2nd again, 1st. Don't know when the game you refer to was played tho, in the first or the second season in the 2nd Div.

Swansea went up in 1981. The game we are referring to was played December 1980. So same season.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    This is correct. 4 to 3 to 2, 2nd again, 1st. Don't know when the game you refer to was played tho, in the first or the second season in the 2nd Div.
    Thats what I thought

Was the 3 all thumper boxing day 1980 ?

If it was then by May 81 they would have been promoted .....so first season would have been 81 82 season , relegated 82 83 ?

As we played them down the vetch Easter of 83 84 season that makes Mr White House correct

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Snap. Never saw Ninian Park as full as that game.
    I did , a few years earlier when Pope John Paul 2 came to Ninian park for mass, fullest I’ve ever seen it

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    I did , a few years earlier when Pope John Paul 2 came to Ninian park for mass, fullest I’ve ever seen it

I was there , saw him in his chopper flying in like led zeppelin

Great gig , great guitars

I was there , saw him in his chopper flying in like led zeppelin

Great gig , great guitars
    How many were there for Bob Marley?

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    I remember that.

It was a young peoples event?

Held by the Catholic church.

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I remember that.

It was a young peoples event?

Held by the Catholic church.

Hmmm...
    As someone brought up a Catholic I can assure you it's riddled with corruption and abuse and the flock just stick their fingers in their ears