+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you have got into football with no fans?

Would you have got into football with no fans?

The atmosphere, the passion, the chants, the noise. The fans bringing a team back into it by lifting them when all seems lost. The home advantage and intimidating home games.

Would you have gotten into football had there been no fans and it being the product that we are currently getting?

The old saying of 'Football without fans is nothing' has never been so apt than in the current time.

Re: Would you have got into football with no fans?

Yes it started in the playground long before I ever went to a match or watched a match on TV

I certainly wouldn't have got into City without going to games. We were never on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Yes it started in the playground long before I ever went to a match or watched a match on TV
    I meant more as a spectator and going to watch the City more than anything else.

No.
    But would have continued to play it .

I would say yes. I supported City from 8-9 years of age and I lived in the Midlands from just before my 9th birthday. I poured over the daily papers and my nan used to post me match reports from the South Wales Echo. I didn’t go to a Cardiff match until my uncle took me to Walsall v Cardiff at the Bescot when Eddie May was in charge. I was right into my football and Cardiff prior to that.

I would say yes. I supported City from 8-9 years of age and I lived in the Midlands from just before my 9th birthday. I poured over the daily papers and my nan used to post me match reports from the South Wales Echo. I didn’t go to a Cardiff match until my uncle took me to Walsall v Cardiff at the Bescot when Eddie May was in charge. I was right into my football and Cardiff prior to that.
    How many early memories are of goals and the crowd going crazy etc though?

Goals today are greeted by a few on the bench shouting.

Football is a lot poorer product for the spectator without fans in the stands.

No mate I don't think I would have. Only went down the City because my uncle took me down. I would be an armchair fan and still playing football.

Football is feck all without the fans in the stadium... I’ve hated it so far. I also think that IPlayer needs to up its game on its camara work if their charging a tenner a pop that one angle view is not good enough going forward.

I did.
    I didn't go to a live game until I was 16.

However I wouldn't have got into football today if there was no chance of watching the games from the stadium.

I could never support a club that I can't watch live.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    No mate I don't think I would have. Only went down the City because my uncle took me down. I would be an armchair fan and still playing football.
    Erm, if you were still playing football surely you’d be ‘into football’

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I meant more as a spectator and going to watch the City more than anything else.
    How are going to watch the City if fans are not allowed?

Depending on how old you are, the only teams you'd know enough about to actually support would be Leeds, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Man U.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Depending on how old you are, the only teams you'd know enough about to actually support would be Leeds, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Man U.
    That’s true, with fans not being allowed in youngsters in their formative years wouldn’t perhaps have that local club attraction and would veer towards the telly favourites more than ever. Imagine if this Covid scenario would have been a few years ago, Leicester City may have become huge, the story of their league winning season could have gained a huge amount of ‘fans’ denied access to their local club. Leeds still have a fair old plastic following within a certain age group due to success achieved years ago.

The atmosphere, the passion, the chants, the noise. The fans bringing a team back into it by lifting them when all seems lost. The home advantage and intimidating home games.

Would you have gotten into football had there been no fans and it being the product that we are currently getting?

The old saying of 'Football without fans is nothing' has never been so apt than in the current time.
    Couple of points. I’d say the majority of football fans don’t attend games. I’ve got friends who know more about what’s going on than me and have absolutely no intention of ever attending a game of football. All about the telly.

Last I saw the stats show the lack of fans has made no difference whatsoever to the percentage of home/away wins. Don’t think the ‘intimidating atmosphere’ actually makes any difference

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Football is feck all without the fans in the stadium... I’ve hated it so far. I also think that IPlayer needs to up its game on its camara work if their charging a tenner a pop that one angle view is not good enough going forward.
    Funny that I've just read this as I've started another thread on this.

I think City and the football league as a whole are taking the piss out of fans. If it was Sky/BT standard it would be pushing it but the picture and commentary quality are average at best.

Obviously not if there are no fans

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Couple of points. I’d say the majority of football fans don’t attend games. I’ve got friends who know more about what’s going on than me and have absolutely no intention of ever attending a game of football. All about the telly.

Last I saw the stats show the lack of fans has made no difference whatsoever to the percentage of home/away wins. Don’t think the ‘intimidating atmosphere’ actually makes any difference
    We'll agree to disagree on the last paragraph but I think we've all got them mates you mention who don't attend games.
    Your pub Mancs and Scousers who've never left the same seat in the pub for the football in their replica shirt. I'd call them fans in much the sense I'm a fan of some TV programmes though. I certainly wouldn't call them supporters. The closest they get to it is the pittance their club gets from replica sales. Outside of that they support Sky and the pub till.

The
    We'll agree to disagree on the last paragraph but I think we've all got them mates you mention who don't attend games.
    Your pub Mancs and Scousers who've never left the same seat in the pub for the football in their replica shirt. I'd call them fans in much the sense I'm a fan of some TV programmes though. I certainly wouldn't call them supporters. The closest they get to it is the pittance their club gets from replica sales. Outside of that they support Sky and the pub till.
    And the pandemic (since football has resumed) hasn’t affected them in any way football wise. They watch the game the way they always have done, nothing has altered. They must wonder what all the fuss about us wanting to get back in the grounds is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Erm, if you were still playing football surely you’d be ‘into football’
    He meant as a follower of Cardiff specifically, which he clarified further on in the thread. I wouldn't have given up playing football to watch football on the TV but once I'd been to Ninian Park that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The

And the pandemic (since football has resumed) hasn’t affected them in any way football wise. They watch the game the way they always have done, nothing has altered. They must wonder what all the fuss about us wanting to get back in the grounds is all about.
    Was going to say much the same myself.

With games that have noise added the only thing missing is the visual of the fans in the stands. I hate it but it is what your armchair/pub fan lives week to week. Balls to that.

Most of my early memories of watching live football were the thrill of my Dad taking me into this strange world, usually under magical floodlights. I'm not sure the drug, because that's what it is, would have had the same effect if we were watching it on Cardiff City TV.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Sorry mate, but that’s not true. I was born in 77 and everyone at school supported Utd at Tonyrywen in Heath. I moved to Bromsgrove in October 86 but supported City despite never having seen them play because it made sense to me. There are exceptions to the rule.

Sorry mate, but that’s not true. I was born in 77 and everyone at school supported Utd at Tonyrywen in Heath. I moved to Bromsgrove in October 86 but supported City despite never having seen them play because it made sense to me. There are exceptions to the rule.
    Lies. Strong lies.

No for me

when i started to go and watch them as a lad, it wasnt just about the football, infact at certain times the football was 2nd place, it was the laugh you had with mates, the banter, the chants ( yes even the un-PC ones that are now frowned upon )

Footbal on TV just isnt the same

My old man played football on a Saturday so growing up I spent my time on the side of the pitch playing football with the other dads kids. He used to take me to watch Merthyr midweek but I never really bought into it until the glory years 87-89 when I was 11-13. I started watching Cardiff City with my mates when I was 15 cos it was the cool thing to do in 1991. Can’t beat watching live football. I was an Ian Rush and a Liverpool fan as a young child but it doesn’t come close to watching live football. Don’t tell Sludge.