+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Clubs Royally Ripping Off Fans?

Re: Are Clubs Royally Ripping Off Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    So an adult ticket is still cheaper for TV then? You don't get away games for free you plum.
    Yes and it is on TV. The young adult at 20 years of age would be paying twice as much to watch a stream.

I'm sure you'd think it was a great deal if somebody gave you £1.50 at the turnstile and gave you a code to go home and watch it on your laptop too.

As for away games, what are you on about? All the calculations were done for 23 home games you plum.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    They wouldn't. £10 for a 90 minute game is nowhere near what they charge for any package.

They're offering three times that today for a daily subscription today alone and that is just for Premier League and EFL football matches. If they followed the ifollow model that would cost £30.00 just for the three games.
    The 18 month contract at £40 a month is even less so it gives even more scope for negotiation. It seems the EFL have just taken the minimum price and once again not really pushed the fans case.

People are buying streams to watch their club. Your average person isn't overly interested in your average game from the EFL and certainly not down at League 2 level etc.

It would be interesting to know how much of the £10 Sky take or is this retained by the clubs. It should be if it is being taken out of season ticket amounts etc.
    Sky need to protect their investment, so of course they are going to make a Sky Sports subscription better value for money. They didn't have to agree to let the EFL clubs stream the matches. They could have told them to go whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Sky need to protect their investment, so of course they are going to make a Sky Sports subscription better value for money. They didn't have to agree to let the EFL clubs stream the matches. They could have told them to go whistle.
    They could have yeah.

Surely Sky are making something out of this too wouldn't you say?

As I've said I begrudgingly pay it as I feel I'm helping out the club in some small way but I didn't think it was great value which is why I put it on here.

For what it's worth I can see football going down the streaming/app route in the next few years certainly. Simon Jordan, while not being everybody's cup of tea, made a good point on Talk Sport regarding it. Basically the argument was that if the PL had a Netflix/Amazon style app available for say £10/£15 a month showing games then it would virtually eradicate a large portion of piracy and the need for illegal streams overnight. People would not take a risk for such a small outlay.
    I could only agree with him.

Where that would leave the EFL I'm not sure although I assume they would follow suit. The PL basically pull the ladder up on any negotiations these days and take the majority of the pie as we know.

Yes and it is on TV. The young adult at 20 years of age would be paying twice as much to watch a stream.

I'm sure you'd think it was a great deal if somebody gave you £1.50 at the turnstile and gave you a code to go home and watch it on your laptop too.

As for away games, what are you on about? All the calculations were done for 23 home games you plum.
    23 home games is £230. It's cheaper.

Do clubs need this money? Yes. They aren't "ripping people off". Most League Two fans would happily pay this money because their clubs make no money without it. Anyway, you don't want to pay, that's fine. Don't. I probably will but I won't be asking for my money back regardless.

23 home games is £230. It's cheaper.

Do clubs need this money? Yes. They aren't "ripping people off". Most League Two fans would happily pay this money because their clubs make no money without it. Anyway, you don't want to pay, that's fine. Don't. I probably will but I won't be asking for my money back regardless.
    You'll be paying. Well done to you.

I said that some fans would be paying more than it would cost them to go to an actual game. They are and I gave proof. A 20 year old with a season ticket at Newport County will be paying twice as much for a stream than they would to attend an actual game. That's a fact.

I understand why people are paying it and I am, although begrudgingly as I think the price is too high. I've paid for things I think are overpriced in the past and will again probably. Doesn't stop me thinking they're pushing it a bit.

Do you know if Sky are taking some money from this? Do the clubs get all the cash?
    Logic tells me that if Sky were so intent on negotiating a minimum price then they are taking a cut somewhere.
    Hopefully it all goes to the clubs but the big corporations don't care too much about football clubs.

You'll be paying. Well done to you.

I said that some fans would be paying more than it would cost them to go to an actual game. They are and I gave proof. A 20 year old with a season ticket at Newport County will be paying twice as much for a stream than they would to attend an actual game. That's a fact.

I understand why people are paying it and I am, although begrudgingly as I think the price is too high. I've paid for things I think are overpriced in the past and will again probably. Doesn't stop me thinking they're pushing it a bit.

Do you know if Sky are taking some money from this? Do the clubs get all the cash?
    Logic tells me that if Sky were so intent on negotiating a minimum price then they are taking a cut somewhere.
    Hopefully it all goes to the clubs but the big corporations don't care too much about football clubs.
    Some people will be paying much, much less. I can't imagine there are many 20 year olds that go to games on their own as well. Sky will presumably be taking some cash, as they've given a lot of money for exclusive rights.

Why is it the minimum price?

Can anybody explain why Sky and the EFL have to charge £10.00 per game when Sky can offer this?

They're saying it is the minimum price, fair enough. The negotiation from the football league must have been atrocious given that Sky give out 24 hours of coverage of all their channels for less.
    Making the negotiation of a tenner for one game great, no?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Making the negotiation of a tenner for one game great, no?
    No. I think the EFL could have pushed for a lower price with Sky.

As I've already said if you pay a tenner today then you get three games plus NFL and whatever else is thrown in.

Yes, there was the chance they'd have said the EFL could not have had rights to show it but if there is money in it for Sky then I'm not surprised they agreed. They still have their schedule and it is money they wouldn't have expected to get.

Some feel it's great value. Others don't.
    I'm very much in the latter camp but am still paying it so what do I know.

THE CLUBS NEED THIS MONEY. HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS?!

THE CLUBS NEED THIS MONEY. HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS?!
    Doesn’t that point to an issue with football as a whole

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Doesn’t that point to an issue with football as a whole
    How do football clubs make money without gate receipts?

Totally understand that but it isn't attending a game is it. People are comparing like being at a game is the same as a stream. It is a far inferior product.

The money all goes to the club in a testing time which is why I buy it but it is a very poor product for the price.
    Not for me it isn’t although to be fair I wouldn’t have been happy if they’d paid me to watch that yesterday. The international pass is £7 a game. I can spend that on 2 cans of beer!!

£7 to watch every game... and to pick and choose which ones I can watch is great value to watch my team.

If the price was twice that it wouldn’t be excessive

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Not for me it isn’t although to be fair I wouldn’t have been happy if they’d paid me to watch that yesterday. The international pass is £7 a game. I can spend that on 2 cans of beer!!

£7 to watch every game... and to pick and choose which ones I can watch is great value to watch my team.

If the price was twice that it wouldn’t be excessive
    For me it’s not about the money, it’s about the Quality of the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    It's run by the EFL and they're only allowed a certain number of people in the stadium with COVID.

Today you could get a 24 hour Sky Sports pass for £9.99.

For that you get two Premier League games in HD with decent commentary and punditry along with a League 1 game. This plus the rest of the stuff on all the other channels.

It isn't a pop at City. I think clubs across the board are taking the mick and were long before Covid appeared.
    You get all of those things... the one thing you don’t get though is to watch Cardiff City live for that package. If you don’t care what games you watch then Sky or any subscription service is good stuff. In Canada where fortunately football isn’t as high profile I get a DAZN season pass for $120 (£80).

For that I get... every single PL game, all other televised EFL games that are on Sky, Every NFL game live, nearly every England cricket game (one days and tests)... tons of boxing including all Joshua fights, all the 6 nations games and a whole host of other programming... for a Brit living in Canada who also loves the NFL the value is unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I agree the service is shocking but if I could watch it live from a drone above the ground it’d be better than nothing at all.

Appreciate that personal economics come into the equation and maybe blue lewj doesn’t have much disposable income but its not a lot of money for those times when you can watch the games

Compared to many other pastimes Football is not good value for money.

As I've already said if you pay a tenner today then you get three games plus NFL and whatever else is thrown in.

Yes, there was the chance they'd have said the EFL could not have had rights to show it but if there is money in it for Sky then I'm not surprised they agreed. They still have their schedule and it is money they wouldn't have expected to get.

Some feel it's great value. Others don't.
    I'm very much in the latter camp but am still paying it so what do I know.
    How do you know that they didn't?

Also, why do you think that Sky are getting any revenue from the streams that sold by the clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    How do you know that they didn't?

Also, why do you think that Sky are getting any revenue from the streams that sold by the clubs?
    All I'll say is that Sky have the rights to broadcast the EFL and have paid a hefty price for that.

Do you think they would then let the EFL do that for free? That doesn't make sense to me.

It isn't a disposable income issue as mentioned above, a tenner is a drop in the ocean, it is about a fair price for something.
    The value of something is what people are willing to pay for it though. Although I disagree with the pricings I still pay and if the club and the rest in the football league are selling enough streams per week then the price is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Compared to many other pastimes Football is not good value for money.
    Well my son is 17 and his ST last season was £59 I think that’s exceptional value and can’t think of another sport that would be cheaper.

All I'll say is that Sky have the rights to broadcast the EFL and have paid a hefty price for that.

Do you think they would then let the EFL do that for free? That doesn't make sense to me.

It isn't a disposable income issue as mentioned above, a tenner is a drop in the ocean, it is about a fair price for something.
    The value of something is what people are willing to pay for it though. Although I disagree with the pricings I still pay and if the club and the rest in the football league are selling enough streams per week then the price is correct.
    Are you one of those guys who mysteriously disappears when it’s your round?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    You get all of those things... the one thing you don’t get though is to watch Cardiff City live for that package. If you don’t care what games you watch then Sky or any subscription service is good stuff. In Canada where fortunately football isn’t as high profile I get a DAZN season pass for $120 (£80).

For that I get... every single PL game, all other televised EFL games that are on Sky, Every NFL game live, nearly every England cricket game (one days and tests)... tons of boxing including all Joshua fights, all the 6 nations games and a whole host of other programming... for a Brit living in Canada who also loves the NFL the value is unbelievable
    That is a very good deal, makes moving to Canada worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That is a very good deal, makes moving to Canada worth it
    It’s a nice bit of icing on the cake, but the cake is pretty special too

New season, same old shit.

Blue Lew in complaining about the club shocker.

This debate is about whether £10 is a fair price for the product, non?

It’s nothing to do with blindly stumping up cash to “support the club”.

The product being served up by the EFL (when it works) isn’t even comparable with the Sky product in terms of quality, so on balance, it doesn’t strike me as very good value for money.

The EFL need to pull their finger out and stop taking the mick.