+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Clubs Royally Ripping Off Fans?

Are Clubs Royally Ripping Off Fans?

Sky are currently running a promotion at the moment for all the Sky Channels plus BT for £40 a month.

Compare this to the two maybe three camera angle effort given to us by the club and they're taking the **** out of fans surely? You get a grand total of four games with inferior quality picture and commentary to boot for the exact same price.

Given City's position in the league you could argue City fans and other Championship clubs get a bit better value for their money than teams further down the league with cheaper season tickets that the charge is being offset against (don't mention the game earlier!). I do think the football league and the clubs are really abusing the loyalty of the fans on this one.

Yes, you can buy it or choose not to but it doesn't take away from the fact that the price is astronomical and if fans want to watch it is the only way. If you watched all the games this season and didn't have Sky you'd be paying £460. Ridiculously bad value for money for 90 minutes of football and very little else. It wouldn't be so bad if the quality and commentary was spot on but it is bad. Some people can't even log in to watch when they've been charged.

Re: Are Clubs Royally Ripping Off Fans?

£10 is the minimum match price permitted under the EFL's agreement with Sky Sports.

I'd add that if you get Sky and BT mobile which is in effect what the City and other clubs offer through their app then it would be even cheaper.

No

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    No
    You think four games of 90 minutes a month is worth £40?

£460 divided by how ever many people want to watch it. Hardly scandalous.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    £460 divided by how ever many people want to watch it. Hardly scandalous.
    ?

It is that much if one fan wants to watch all those games. That is a very real situation for many given the Coronavirus and all that it brings.

For those thinking what great value it is I would challenge you to find any streaming service both UK based and overseas that is more pricey.

I can't find one. NFL, NHL, foreign City fans, NRL rugby league all cheaper, much cheaper and with a lot more content might I add.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    You think four games of 90 minutes a month is worth £40?
    If you want your football club to exist in 2021, yes.

For those thinking what great value it is I would challenge you to find any streaming service both UK based and overseas that is more pricey.

I can't find one. NFL, NHL, foreign City fans, NRL rugby league all cheaper, much cheaper and with a lot more content might I add.
    Because their TV deals far outweigh the EFL deal. EFL clubs need ticket money, it's their primary revenue source. That has gone.

NBA was 42.99 I think it was for the pass to watch all games for the remainder of the season, so 8 out of 80 odd and the play offs so I'm not sure how much the entire season would be.

My point was it does not have to be 10 a game for every individual, you can make it cheaper by having mates round family etc.

NBA was 42.99 I think it was for the pass to watch all games for the remainder of the season, so 8 out of 80 odd and the play offs so I'm not sure how much the entire season would be.

My point was it does not have to be 10 a game for every individual, you can make it cheaper by having mates round family etc.
    As I've said with the measures in place that might not be allowed in the very near future.

Not everybody has that option anyway.

Because their TV deals far outweigh the EFL deal. EFL clubs need ticket money, it's their primary revenue source. That has gone.
    So on one hand clubs are charging a fair price but when given examples of leagues that offer a lot more for less you say it is to help out clubs in need. That doesn't make it a fair price, just gives a reason for the increased price.

I totally understand clubs are up against it. It doesn't mean that they aren't charging too much for an inferior product to others though (including Sky). If our club started charging say £100 for shirts because they are in trouble would that make it right? If people want to put money into the club then they can in what way they see fit.

I also think that if the price was more reasonable then more would buy it. I bought it today but it did not feel like value and if I was one of the fans who had trouble seeing the game I'd think twice at that price.

I think I'm right in thinking the Forest game this coming weekend will be blacked out to ifollow as it is on Sky but you can get a Sky Sports day pass for £9.99 which kind of reinforces the point.

So on one hand clubs are charging a fair price but when given examples of leagues that offer a lot more for less you say it is to help out clubs in need. That doesn't make it a fair price, just gives a reason for the increased price.

I totally understand clubs are up against it. It doesn't mean that they aren't charging too much for an inferior product to others though (including Sky). If our club started charging say £100 for shirts because they are in trouble would that make it right? If people want to put money into the club then they can in what way they see fit.

I also think that if the price was more reasonable then more would buy it. I bought it today but it did not feel like value and if I was one of the fans who had trouble seeing the game I'd think twice at that price.

I think I'm right in thinking the Forest game this coming weekend will be blacked out to ifollow as it is on Sky but you can get a Sky Sports day pass for £9.99 which kind of reinforces the point.
    They're not a rip off, clubs need that money. TV deals over here are cheaper for foreign sports, they'll be more expensive (I guess) in the States for NFL etc. Their TV deals are also mad, the EFL doesn't have it. I have bought a ST, I will use that against the vouchers. I imagine at least 13000 others will too. Clubs cannot and will not survive without this, it isn't a hard concept to understand. It's also about half the price of going to the game, and if there are 3/4 of you watching, the cost is bugger all.

On this point, if its half the price, 2x the amount of people need to watch it. That ain't happening.

They're not a rip off, clubs need that money. TV deals over here are cheaper for foreign sports, they'll be more expensive (I guess) in the States for NFL etc. Their TV deals are also mad, the EFL doesn't have it. I have bought a ST, I will use that against the vouchers. I imagine at least 13000 others will too. Clubs cannot and will not survive without this, it isn't a hard concept to understand. It's also about half the price of going to the game, and if there are 3/4 of you watching, the cost is bugger all.
    You imagine 13,000 will too?
    There are season ticket holders on here stating they will not be watching and don't wish to take the club up on their offer for varying reasons.

I understand the logic but as with the double price for a replica shirt example regardless of a club needing the money it does not make the price fair. They are overcharging and yes it is probably to keep many afloat but they are still overcharging for it.
    I would go as far as saying it is as much to watch a stream online as some League 2 fans pay per game to go to matches, maybe even more. That isn't right.

As stated. It's not the clubs. It's between sky and the EFL.

As stated. It's not the clubs. It's between sky and the EFL.
    What is the agreement there?

How much do Sky get? The EFL would be representing the clubs too so would surely have had some input from the clubs even if it was a league representative for say the Championship, League 1 and 2.

Thing is with this pricing it was the £10 price last season before Covid had even been heard of. I thought the exact same thing about the pricing then.

You imagine 13,000 will too?
    There are season ticket holders on here stating they will not be watching and don't wish to take the club up on their offer for varying reasons.

I understand the logic but as with the double price for a replica shirt example regardless of a club needing the money it does not make the price fair. They are overcharging and yes it is probably to keep many afloat but they are still overcharging for it.
    I would go as far as saying it is as much to watch a stream online as some League 2 fans pay per game to go to matches, maybe even more. That isn't right.
    Utter, utter rubbish. Newport was £22 last season. Bradford was £20.

And yes, I imagine that most people have bought a ST with the realisation that it was unlikely they'd be able to attend games for a good while. Re shirts, clubs don't make any money off them bar a tiny percentage. That's why they do kit deals with companies who have the infrastructure and ability to sell/produce kits. If you ever see "Ronaldo paid for his transfer fee in kit sales", he didn't.

Honestly if you are crying about city charging £40 a month, which you don't have to pay by the way - you didn't have to buy a season ticket, as surely you didn't actually think that we'd be going to games when they were put on sale, then you must be a really boring or naive person.

£40! £40! I reckon the average fan spends more on one matchday! £40 to watch my team, live, with a good quality stream, what on earth are you (and anyone else moaning) on about. Ffs.

People will genuinely moan about anything. Just don't renew if you're bothered about not getting your moneys worth.

Sky are currently running a promotion at the moment for all the Sky Channels plus BT for £40 a month.

Compare this to the two maybe three camera angle effort given to us by the club and they're taking the **** out of fans surely? You get a grand total of four games with inferior quality picture and commentary to boot for the exact same price.

Given City's position in the league you could argue City fans and other Championship clubs get a bit better value for their money than teams further down the league with cheaper season tickets that the charge is being offset against (don't mention the game earlier!). I do think the football league and the clubs are really abusing the loyalty of the fans on this one.

Yes, you can buy it or choose not to but it doesn't take away from the fact that the price is astronomical and if fans want to watch it is the only way. If you watched all the games this season and didn't have Sky you'd be paying £460. Ridiculously bad value for money for 90 minutes of football and very little else. It wouldn't be so bad if the quality and commentary was spot on but it is bad. Some people can't even log in to watch when they've been charged.
    You should have bought a kids ticket in the family stand for £30 for the season.

It would have been a great deal if the fecking thing had worked for me to watch today.

Utter, utter rubbish. Newport was £22 last season. Bradford was £20.

And yes, I imagine that most people have bought a ST with the realisation that it was unlikely they'd be able to attend games for a good while. Re shirts, clubs don't make any money off them bar a tiny percentage. That's why they do kit deals with companies who have the infrastructure and ability to sell/produce kits. If you ever see "Ronaldo paid for his transfer fee in kit sales", he didn't.
    A Newport terrace ticket this season is £263. Young Adult (Up to 21) £105.
    So not utter, utter rubbish at all.

If that young adult lives at home with parents who aren't watching the games then they pay more for the streams than actually attending. The full paying adult goes close and retains a credit of £33 if they adopt the same rule as City have. They're paying close to the same price to watch a stream as live sport. Without the add on of the Covid situation when taken as simply the fair price for a stream it is ridiculously overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    You should have bought a kids ticket in the family stand for £30 for the season.

It would have been a great deal if the fecking thing had worked for me to watch today.
    It would have been.

I paid and it worked minor a few hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Honestly if you are crying about city charging £40 a month, which you don't have to pay by the way - you didn't have to buy a season ticket, as surely you didn't actually think that we'd be going to games when they were put on sale, then you must be a really boring or naive person.

£40! £40! I reckon the average fan spends more on one matchday! £40 to watch my team, live, with a good quality stream, what on earth are you (and anyone else moaning) on about. Ffs.

People will genuinely moan about anything. Just don't renew if you're bothered about not getting your moneys worth.
    Nobody is crying. I paid it and probably will for the rest of the season.

I knew the 'you haven't got to buy it' line would be trotted out. That's why I put it in the original post.

No, I don't think anybody thought they'd be going to games certainly this year. That isn't the point though is it.

I am asking if people think a tenner for 90 minutes with one camera angle for the whole game is worth it. I don't think so. No moaning, just making a point. I paid it and watched.

What is the agreement there?

How much do Sky get? The EFL would be representing the clubs too so would surely have had some input from the clubs even if it was a league representative for say the Championship, League 1 and 2.

Thing is with this pricing it was the £10 price last season before Covid had even been heard of. I thought the exact same thing about the pricing then.
    "as already stated"

I didn't originally post it so I don't know sorry.